main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC upside down tattoo

Discussion in 'Community' started by hear+soul, Sep 14, 2011.

1. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    my sister-in-law, who is an alcoholic, got a tattoo on her arm in order to affirm her resolution to stay off the booze. every time she is tempted, she has to do nothing more than look at it and remember everything she's gone through.

physical cues have the ability to be much more powerful than mental ones. they can work when your brain otherwise tricks you.

basically, **** yo hatin.

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I certainly applaud your sister. But it'd be pretty ridiculous to suggest that a tattoo necessarily works better as a physical cue than any number of other, less disfiguring options, like a ring, bracelet, or pair of cufflinks (just to restrict options to arm accessories alone). I would argue the effectiveness comes from the personal significance of the totem, not its particular form.

3. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    And the sleeveless top?

4. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I can't speak authoritatively on that issue, but I've seen plenty of employers with official policies that ban tattoos of any sort, visible or no. While one could, of course, hide them, it would seem a complex and unnecessary burden relative to just foregoing a tattoo in the first place.

5. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Tattoos are almost universally tacky. I couldn't care less about their effect on employment prospects.

:D

6. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    But...

[image=http://www.ratemyink.com/images/ul/859/Eric-Clapton-tattoo-85902.jpeg]

7. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Wow, I've never seen such a policy that applies even to tattoos that aren't visible. It's a real shame, since I have a few friends who've gone through radiation for cancer and have miniscule tattoos that were applied as a part of their treatment - it's really ridiculous that they would be disqualified from so many jobs because of their cancer :(

8. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    lol obviously cancer or holocaust victims wouldnt be, stop trying to be offended for the sake of it.

9. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    I was making a point about J-w's idiotic extrapolation about "no tattoo" rules extending to even ones that aren't visible

10. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    It's your tattoo. Get what you want. My skin. My ink. My choice. :p

On a related subject, is anyone out there artistically talented. I need help designing my next tattoo. :D

See how I hijacked your thread for my own good? [face_whistling]

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I don't see how it's "my" extrapolation if a policy says that an employee "shall not have tattoos." Especially when there is explicit verbal affirmation that they actually wrote what they meant.

12. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Okay, well then I maintain that it's insane for them to deny people who have had radiation-related tattoos and holocaust victims positions in their company.

13. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Okay, well then

innit

14. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    ok well then

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    okay well then

I believe we've just created the first JCC Mobius Strip thread.

16. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Can you just post the name of the company so that I can call their HR department and get this sorted out?

17. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I seriously doubt that any company would refuse to hire somebody with a tattoo that is not visible. I mean, if it's not visible, it's not visible. Are you proposing that certain companies perform full body scans?

18. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    So long as we're worked up into such a furor, I think it bears pointing out that this discussion is irrelevant to Decepticon. He has stated that he wants to be able to look at it frequently, to strengthen his personal resolve. Jacen and several others proceeded to defend the idea of tattooing pretty much solely on these grounds. In light of that, his plans would conflict directly with employment opportunities. It makes no sense to talk about putting it in a "non-visible area" when he predicated the whole thing on seeing it a great deal.

19. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    No. Because he wants to get it tattooed on his bicep. Places that are okay with you showing up for work in short sleeves are almost uniformly okay with you showing up for work with a tattoo, whereas the kinds of professions that still give a care about tattoos will probably also expect you to wear a business suit or business casual to the office, which involves long sleeves.

20. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    I don't think Deception has any concern about getting employed.

21. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    [image=http://photos.travelblog.org/Photos/106794/417518/f/4038393-NYPD-blues-0.jpg]

22. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I seriously doubt he intends to roll up his t-shirt sleeve and stare at his tattoo for the duration of an eight hour shift.

23. AaylaSecurOWNED

May 19, 2005
    Deception, do you want to be a cop?

24. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    FYI, senior field position, and I have a tattoo on my left shoulder. There's only a few people at work that even know I have one, and that's because they've seen it when we've been outside of work and I've been in a T-shirt. And I'd be willing to bet any workplace that would have a "no tattoos, period" versus a "no visible tattoos" policy would be opening itself up to all sorts of litigation.

DD, at the end of the day, I'm with Mort - do what you want. Mine is orientated so it looks correct to the outside world when I'm standing naturally, but I've got friends who have other tattoos that look correct to them even if they are upside down to the rest of the world. The choice over a tattoo is purely personal and you have to decide if it's right for you and what you want to have on you for the rest of your life.

25. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    If you're serious, I'd be happy to help!