main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Use of the word "retarded" as a put down.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Queen_Pixie, Apr 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    This is what I wrote 6 days ago about the use of the word retarded.

[i]I consider the use of the word 'gay' in a derogatory manner no different than a user choosing to use the word 'retarded' in a derogatory manner.[/i]

Date Posted: 4/5 1:56pm

[i]We don't ban people on single offenses of the word gay or retarted. It's the accumulation of offenses that gets a user banned. These are minor offenses, but they add up. When a user is referring to someone or something as gay or retarded, there isn't kindness behind the words. So why should we allow it and thus endorse it and give it legitimacy?[/i]

Date Posted: 4/5 1:59pm

2. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    So, just to be clear, from an administration/moderator standpoint, the use of "gay" and "retarded" as slang/insults will be tolerated, but only if used sparingly and not at a registered user. Otherwise, repeated use or use against a member could result in a banning.

Do I have this correct?

L8r

3. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    No, it's not tolerated. We will, or need to be, editing out 'gay' and 'retarded' when directed at someone or something. It's not written with good intentions behind it. All mods and regular users will be edited the same. It's a tougher one to enforce, but it's something to work towards.

4. RogueScribner

RogueScribner Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Okay. So we're done here then. No more using "gay" or "retarded" out of proper context. Gotcha.

L8r

5. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Yes, that's correct.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.