main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo User Reviews/Reactions for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 22, 2018.

?

Did you like Solo: A Star Wars Story?

1. Yes

89.5%
  2. No

10.5%
  1. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    But how, in the case things didn't "go unexpectedly", did Han hope to get rid of DV, all his men and also Beckett?
    Why did Beckett assume to be convincing, since he had previously warned Han that it's impossible to run away from DV?
    Why did Beckett suddenly change his mind about DV's danger and decide that he could simply betray him?
    Why was Beckett allowed to carry guns?
    Related to the previous question, why were all so scared by DV, considering that he turned out to be a perfect idiot?

In general, I feel that many things that were established by the movie itself were simply forgotten in the end.

2. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    1. No plan is ever perfect. Somethings you just have to leave to chance. Han doesn't have many other options.

2. Beckett only betrays Drydan once he's in a weakened position with almost all of his henchmen dead. He's not a very trustworthy person. I assume he figures Drydan is unlikely to get out of this situation. He'll either be killed by Han and Qi'ra or the Cloud Riders.

3. Because Drydan is overconfident. He doesn't think Beckett would dare betray him. And until the Cloud Riders take out Drydan's goons there was no reason for Beckett to betray him.

4. I imagine it has something to do with the ruthless reputation Crimson Dawn has. I mean they cut the tongues out of people's mouths who betray them.

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  3. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Just running far away with the coaxium sounds much safer. I mean was the plan really to kill everybody with a single gun? :eek:

I was talking about the fact that Beckett just said Han "I'm out", even though he had previously told him that it's impossible to hide from DV. We then realize he was lying, but his attempt was already illogical if we consider the circumstances.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Or to hold Drydan at gunpoint until the Cloud Riders can arrive to back him up. But we really don't know because it doesn't go according to plan.

I think Beckett is banking on Han's naivete. He doesn't realize until it's too late that Han was indeed listening to him the whole time.

5. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    I don't like it. I don't agree with it. But I accept it ;)

6. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    For the benefit of Han's ears, this can be looked at as Becket hearing Han's plan and pretending or acknowledging that Dryden might end up neutralized without he himself having to lift a finger, which would then remove his own debt of coaxium. He could just walk away if Dryden were taken care of by some means. During his last scene he anticipates the tale that Qira is who killed Dryden. So he knows it's possible for that outcome.

None of this accounts for the global / galaxy reach of Crimson Dawn as a criminal organization. A yacht that big hints at an infrastructure, with enforcers, much greater than Dryden and 20+ of his own enforcers.

7. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    God that's a great line.=D=

8. rorow1

rorow1 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 21, 2017
    I liked it. Didn't love it. There was a better story in there somewhere and I don't feel like they were able to find it. This movie made me want to see Qi'ra's story as opposed to Han's. It feels like they skipped over the parts in his life that inform who he is. I hated how they used Val. Of the 4 Disney properties its probably my least favorite, but that doesn't mean its bad. I liked the cinematography a lot as well as the sound design.

My brother and I were the only ones who saw it. He thought it was just okay( which for him is a close to hate as he can get).

9. mJedi775

mJedi775 Jedi Knight star 2

May 18, 2013
    Honestly after I heard this line in the movie, I thought " has Han ever called him Chewbacca in any of the movies?"

10. darksideDINO

darksideDINO Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 18, 2015
    I really enjoyed it. I didn't want it, but it was an entertaining couple of hours. I liked it because it was just an old fashioned action adventure-type film, all be it with fancy CGI.
    It isn't trying to be deep or ground breaking and there's probably plot holes galore, but simple is sometimes how I likes me Star Wars.

Chewbacca is the dogs bollocks!

Ricardo Funes likes this.
  11. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Solo: A Star Wars Story (comparison chart)
    IMDb: 7.2
    IMDb (unweighted): 7.2
    Metacritic: 6.1
    Rotten Tomatoes: 7.0
    Rotten Tomatoes (liked): 65%
    Letterboxd: 6.5*
    Amazon: 7.2
    Amazon (unweighted): 7.2
    BestBuy: 8.6
    Google (liked): 83%
    Vudu: 8.49
    Apple iTunes: 8.4
    Group 1 average: 7.39
    Douban (China): 7.0
    Mtime (China): 7.1
    Allocine (France): 7.4
    Filmstarts (Germany): 7.4
    MyMovies (Italy): 6.62
    Yahoo! (Japan): 8.00 (it's technically not released there yet)
    Daum (South Korea): 7.1
    Filmaffinity (Spain): 6.3
    Amazon (U.K.): 7.6
    Amazon (U.K) (unweighted): 7.8
    Group 2 average: 7.23
    Overall average: 7.32

EDIT: Just did the math on Letterbox and it's a 6.5 than rounds down to 3.3 in a 5 star system.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2018
  12. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    This is an odd way to come up with an "average."

Ricardo Funes and RiddleMeThis like this.
  13. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    I guess this is the place to bring it up, but I'm really tired of going on YouTube and seeing clips being hyped about how "Solo" is a "flop", or even a "disaster". While the theatrical box office results could be termed a "disappointment", I guess, I don't think "flop" is warranted. And "disaster" is completely inappropriate. I don't even listen to such reviews.

Maybe my viewpoint is different, but to me "Heaven's Gate" was a (theatrical) flop. "Ishtar" was a flop. "Pluto Nash" was a flop. And "The Comquerer" was a disaster. But calling "Solo" these things is just clickbait nonsense.

Sorry, just wanted to vent about this.

14. Palp_Faction

Palp_Faction Force Ghost star 4

Feb 3, 2002
    I've seen it twice and I think this is definitely one of the better SW films. It's a shame that people have preferred to stay away from this one as they are genuinely missing a treat. The problem is that this was an expensive curiosity and the GA don't want that. They want a very good reason why they should part with their hard earned cash. Future anthology movies will need to be much cheaper to make if this is the shape of things to come.

15. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Solo is great. And it's 5 times better than even the best of the MCU films, IMO. Shame it's getting lambasted so much among the empty heads of the social media-verse.

Lee_, Ody_Mandrell, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  16. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    I watched it again, and...what a great experience. It's probably good that I didn't read any reviews or articles for the first week (too busy with school until after then) because I can't fathom why such a--in my estimation--terrific, heartfelt, really good movie wouldn't have met a warmer reception.

That shot of Hand looking out into the blue starscape through the Falcon's cockpit for the first time, and them later the camera rotating back to his completely rapt expression after they jump to hyperspace, just takes me to the most beautiful place as a viewer. I can hardly imagine a Star Wars film striking a truer, more sincere, profound, pure chord than that one. The character works, the visuals work, the storytelling is pitch-perfect. Just great stuff, for my money.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2018
  17. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    "I can't fathom why"
    mhm

That scene you mention was the first shot of Han going to hyperspace inside the Falcon, but cannot have been the first time he went to hyperspace - he would have done this repeatedly as an Imperial pilot. So I had to check at the door the idea that this is a look primarily at someone escaping a planet or a life for the first time. Even Luke did not give any real indicators that he had never been to hyperspace before; he wasn't such a bad pilot himself. This shot with Han in the cockpit fits with a feeling that he is home, for the first time ever, even though it isn't his ship. There's been a magnetic reconnection in the field lines of his life. He is both escaping and reconnecting. It is a Han+new life bondbond, but also a Han+Falcon bond, and as we later see retrospectively a moment of communion with a dead-absent father.

It marks a turning of a new leaf where Han cannot honestly perceive a life that is not bounded philosophically by a cynical impression that crime and dregs are a universal constant. He has in him a legacy of civic duty or hard work (father on factory lines doing what a family man does) but he just demonstrated prior to meeting Becket that he realizes the Empire is crime in uniform, no different from crime out of uniform or crime beneath the streets, and there is no reasonable escape in civic narrative or domestic bliss. (I am jury out on whether Qira is a reliable witness when she gives her thesis on Han - she was in a relaxed state and prone to truth, but, she may also have been issuing forth a goat of Azazel to carry off her own sins. E.g., "You're the good one <so that I do not have to be. Go be good for the two of us>.")

I see where the dollars went in this budget.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  18. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I’ve seen SOLO twice and it’s a treat. It will be a classic like films people discover and fall in love with later, when it’s out of the theater. I want to catch it one more time before the end of its run. Looking forward to a July/August digital release and all the extras. LFL please continue the adventures of a Young Han Solo. And somebody over there needs to get Alden and Sebastian Stan in an adventure set between ANH and TESB. Billie Lourd as Leia? Do it!
    (Too bad she's already Connix)
    [​IMG]
    https://www.eonline.com/news/944722...ith-leia-hairstyle-at-dodgers-star-wars-night
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. MoffJacob

MoffJacob Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 25, 2015
    the worst SW "movie" ever made
    worst casting
    worst performances
    worst dialogue
    worst story-plot (yes, even worse than TLJ, AOTC)
    worst droid sidekick
    worst villian(s)
    worst retcons
    worst twist
    worst cinematography
    worst score

if TLJ is the movie that (nearly? we'll have to wait for IX) killed the ST, Solo may very well be the glorified yet dreadful tv movie showed on theaters that (nearly?) killed the Anthology Stories films
    right now my interest in the Anthology Stories film series is ZERO, unless they make a pre-Ep I Yoda movie

it's unbelievable how much I miss the 2015-16 TFA/RO days...

20. 3sm1r

3sm1r Force Ghost star 6

Dec 27, 2017
    Maybe you're a bit exaggerating but yeah, easily the worst Disney SW.

21. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Well to be technical, any film that fails to reach the break-even point and loose money for the studio is a flop.
    And even with a very generous break-even point for Solo of between 5-600 M$, the film won't reach that and will likely cause a loss of 100 M$.
    No ifs and buts about it, this is a flop.

Does this make it a bad movie?
    Well loosing money is never a good thing but ignoring that.
    Are all films that fail to break-even bad?
    No.

There are a fair amount of films that did badly at the BO that are now regarded as good or even great films. Blade Runner, Princess Bride etc.

Looking at reviews, user reviews, the BO.
    Solo is overall well liked, the reviews are ok/good, user comments are mostly positive.
    Granted a fair amount say things like "It is better than I thought."
    So I don't think the BO is due to people not liking what they have seen but lack of interest before the film came out.

To bring it back to Solo itself, I think it was fine but nothing extraordinary.
    To me, I found it rather forgettable.
    And that I think is why Solo is not having great legs at the BO..
    The film does not have anything that makes it a "Must See!"
    So people wait, for streaming or DVD/Bluray or whatever.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Palp_Faction and 3sm1r like this.
  22. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 7

Apr 6, 2018
    Han’s pure joy as the Falcon jumps to hyperspace is the perfect visual representation of Joseph Campbell’s “follow your bliss” philosophy. A perfect Star Wars moment.

SunStar, Taylore, TCF-1138 and 2 others like this.
  23. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Han got kicked out of the flight academy. It's easy to imagine a scenario where he's only flown hyperso simulations and has only flown short-range fighters.

24. Hernalt

Jun 29, 2000
    Ok. Like the Academy only does hyperspace in its fourth year, but he had covered all combat maneuvers by end of third year. So it could actually be a heavy scene. I don't remember from the film though - is that what he says? Kicked out of the Academy?

25. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Something like that, yes.

I could of course be misremembering, but yes. FWIW it's also mentioned on the official site and on Wookieepedia.