main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Solo User Reviews/Reactions for Solo: A Star Wars Story

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by Darth Chiznuk , May 22, 2018.

?

Did you like Solo: A Star Wars Story?

1. Yes

89.5%
  2. No

10.5%
  1. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I was calibrating my computer monitor today, and once I was done I got curious about how the famously dark and murky Solo would look on it. Two hours later and I had accidentally watched the entirety of Solo. On my computer. Sitting at my desk.

2. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    That’s actually how I watch most movies these days.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  3. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    ... and? How did it look? :p

Bor Mullet and TCF-1138 like this.
  4. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Honestly? It looked fine.
    I still really dislike the lighting, but that's just subjective. At no place is it hard to see what's going on. But I just think it's ugly. :p
    Regardless of that though, it's so much fun. Easily one of the most fun SW movies.

5. Lobot's Wig

Lobot's Wig Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 13, 2020
    I agree with that. I think that it would easily have gone up a few notches in many peoples' estimation had it been more visually appealing aesthetically. It isn't overly dark, but it is a very gloomy and grubby looking picture all the way through.

Blobofat and Sarge like this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I never really noticed the "murkiness." I do acknowledge there were some dark scenes, but I thought nothing of it, as it was simply the environment they were in.

That said, I felt Lando had the interior lighting on the falcon set way too dim.

Sarge likes this.
  7. screamsinthevoid

screamsinthevoid Jedi Knight

Nov 26, 2017
    I think Alden did a fine job as Han and Glover as Lando . I admit I was wary when I heard the movie was being made and didn't think it was a story anyone was asking for , but I was pleasantly surprised . It was a thrill ride of a movie . I can accept these actors as younger versions of the characters .Only bit I didn't like was the way Han got his last name and that there was no follow up with Maul .

BadAcrobat likes this.
  8. CloneBlooper

CloneBlooper Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 20, 2002
    I watched this again recently and I like it. It’s a good romp, and the cast are clearly having fun with their roles. But, I agree with others with regards to the way it’s lit. The framing of the scenes are exemplary, but the lighting, sheesh. It’s Star Wars, and I want to see all the props, and the goofy looking aliens and droids. I’m too old to be straining my eyes.

The dim lighting doesn’t even fit with the tone of the film. A bit of a misstep if you ask me.

Sarge likes this.
  9. TsmHedorah

TsmHedorah Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 7, 2022
    The last post in this thread was from June 27th of last year so it's safe to say I'm very late to the party on this one, but lately, I've been thinking about Solo a lot. It's been a while since I last sat down to watch it but I'm very confident in saying it's my second favorite Star Wars film. For background context, when this movie was first announced, I was pretty mad, if I'm being honest. My thoughts were "Why are they making a Solo film when they just killed him off in The Force Awakens?" and "Why not give us a Kenobi or Boba Fett solo film?". I didn't care about this movie at all, of course, I was going to see it, but I was "a little salty." Thinking back to all that, I now cringe because my attitude was really bad and toxic regarding the whole thing.
    Fast-forwarding a bit, I remember when the first trailer dropped, it was showing on Good Morning America I think, well I was glued to my phone, waiting for the trailer to finally release on the Star Wars YouTube channel. I was at work. I worked at a Frozen/Dairy section of a Walmart, and I wasn't getting anything done because of it. Finally, it hit, and I was actually in the freezer, and I stood there and watched the trailer at least 5 times. It was amazing. I was at risk of getting caught but I didn't care. Unfortunately, the marketing was the greatest failure of Solo. The toys and trailer dropped only a month before the film's release which is still crazy to me to this day. I never really looked into why they did that, might have to dig into it one day.
    Then when the movie finally came out, it provided me with the single greatest cinematic experience I've ever had. I went and saw it twice and I greatly regret not seeing it more times. Not because it "technically" bombed but because I had so much watching it on the big screen.
    I don't really like buying movies digitally, I prefer to buy physical copies because I'm a collector, but Disney has a habit of releasing all their movies digitally a month or so before Blu-ray or DVD. So, I bought it digitally and watched it about 10 times within a week. When the Blu-Ray and DVD copies came out, I bought every version released. Target had a special version; Best Buy had a special version, and Walmart technically did. Solo also dropped on 4K, standard DVD, and standard Blu-ray, all of which I bought to add to my collection.
    Here's a neat little story but since I work at Walmart, I had to work a Black Friday sale that was going on and they put me over by the DVD and Blu-ray displays. When the sale started, I saw a dude looking at Solo on 4K and I highly recommended him to pick it up and give it a shot. Which of course he did. I felt very accomplished that night. Eventually, all the copies of Solo we had sold out and I remember another guy was asking if we had Solo still, and at that point, we did not. We had sold out of Solo. Which was unfortunate hopefully that guy ended up getting it some other way.
    I typed all this out just to say that I really really love this movie. I love it so much that a lot of the time when I think of Han Solo, I think of Alden Ehrenreich's portrayal of Han Solo over Harrison Ford's, which might trigger a lot of people here, which I do apologize for, I'm not saying all of this to offend, I'm just saying my truest feelings.
    There's a lot more I can say but I'm going to end this here. I'm literally making my laptop overheat due to how long I've been typing this. Thank you to all who read through all this, MTFBWY.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2023
    Ithorians, Bor Mullet, EHT and 2 others like this.
  10. TsmHedorah

TsmHedorah Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 7, 2022
    I wanted to make a bit of an update since I watched Solo again, sometime after I left my very long comment. Of course, I think Solo still holds up. It was just as fun and exciting as I remembered. Alden Ehrenreich did phenomenally, I really hope he gets the chance to come back one day. Overall, I still feel that Solo is incredibly underrated but especially the soundtrack. John Powell did such a great job, and I don't think he gets enough credit for his amazing work on this movie. I especially want to highlight the song "Chicken in the Pot", I love it when we get in-universe music for Star Wars, it's a very weird song but I loved it. After watching Solo again, I did notice one thing that I wanted to talk about. My only negative with the movie but before I get into that, I just want to state that, I am in no way a film critic or someone who overanalyzes movies. This is just something that I noticed and wanted to point out. However, the negative in question is a scene at the end of the movie when Beckett tells Han that he's not going to go along with his plan to trick Dryden Vos and instead was going to Tatooine because he heard of a "big shot gangster putting together a crew." That's all fine with me, however, what was very jarring was when not even 5 minutes later he was walking back into the room to announce his betrayal. It just kind of felt a bit silly. If there was more time in between when Beckett left and when he came back, it would have felt less silly and probably more of a shock even though I'm sure everyone saw Beckett betraying Han coming from a mile away, at least in my opinion but that's such a little thing. I would still give Solo A Star Wars Story a 10/10. Once again thank you to everyone who took the time to read all this, and may the force be with you.

11. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    It’s a really fun movie.

12. CampOfSorgan

CampOfSorgan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 27, 2020
    I absolutely love this film still.
    I saw it multiple times when it came out in theaters.
    Han Solo has always been one of my favorite characters, and this movie lived up to the hype I had for it.
    I still rewatch it quite a bit, and I find it to be my favorite film released by Lucasfilm since the purchase in 2012.
    Tobias Beckett is probably my favorite character, besides Han, in the film. Qi'ra is cool as well. Chewie is awesome. I thought Alden and Donald both did great as Han and Lando.
    Just a really fun adventurous movie. Like a western in space.

Visivious Drakarn and Iron_lord like this.
  13. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    Posted this over in the community earlier this week in the movie thread, but I thought I’d put it here too.

Watched Solo this week and I’ve not seen it since watching it at the cinema 5 years ago (wow that long). The cast work fine with Paul Bettany, Woody Harrellson and Donald Glover being standouts for me. But the story isn’t about them, it’s about Han Solo and I think that Alden does a good if understated job, he captures qualities and mannerisms of the character, but without quite the finished charm and confidence that we see in the original film with Harrison Ford (which is understandable given that Solo is inexperienced at this point). He’s got that budding cockiness about him and I think he’s likeable. On top of that the new relationship with Chewie worked for me as well. What didn’t work on was L3, why they have a robot rights storyline I don’t know, it was extremely annoying. As was the weird relationship between her and Lando. An odd choice.

As for the general story itself it’s ticking boxes as it goes along, and I think it was a wise move pairing him with Beckett, it gives Han that distrusting, look after yourself mentor. As we near the final act it seems to become a little bit protracted after the Kessel run, incidentally I wasn’t a fan of the huge monster in there, I didn’t feel the stakes that they were going for with it.

The addition of Maul is interesting, (even with the gratuitous nodding and winking to us as he ignites his lightsaber), and provides one of many Easter eggs throughout the film with the reference to Dathomir. IMO it provides just one reason of many to make this worthy of a sequel or a TV show because the adventures of Han andChewie would be interesting to me.

I’d love to know how much of this was reshot, how scenes differed to the finished version with Dryden Vos amongst others and how the overall story waschanged. That fascinates me. Overall it’s a solid film, not spectacular and not bad either and arguably this and Rogue One are the best of the Disney era films.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    Watcherwithin and Sarge like this.
  14. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    Probably my most re-watched film of the Disney era.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  15. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    For me, it’s second only to Rogue One. A very rewatchable movie.

Lulu Mars likes this.
  16. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Another rewatch. The cut from "Good luck, Han Solo. We'll have you flying in no time." to Han screaming as he flies through the air is gold. And then his hysterical "Almost... where?! Where are we going?!"
    I mean, it's a HORRIBLE situation in universe, but I can't help but crack up at Alden's delivery. He's hilarious.

Also, Chewie's first scene - from Han being thrown into the pit to the two of them getting picked up by Beckett and co... Perfection!

Again, one of the best Star Wars movies [face_party]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2024
  17. Bor Mullet

Apr 6, 2018
    Alden’s Solo might be the most underrated performance in Star Wars. He’s an excellent actor and has impeccable comic timing. Right up there with Ford, in my view.