main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Using profic in your fanfic

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Klimt_Of_Tornesdal, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Something I was thinking about the other day: Is it acceptable to quote sections of the EU books in a fic that you are writing and posting? And what sort of disclaimers would need to be added?

I'm planning an AU story that starts from a very specific scene in the book that I wanted to use in the first chapter, basically quoting it up until a key event is changed, before spinning it out from there into my own story. I recall someone doing similar with an ROTS AU story they were writing, but I haven't seen it around lately and wanted to make sure I wouldn't be in violation of board rules.

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    I wouldn't quote the book verbatim... do the scene(s) you're quoting in the book in your own words. I would also put a disclaimer stating which book and author those scenes came from.

3. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    You can quote it as long as you have a disclaimer with the author's name and the book title - something like, "Italicized text belongs to etc etc etc."

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    I've seen that done where the author will, in the notes, credit the book and author that they drew quotes from and noted how to tell which is which.

5. LLL

LLL Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 16, 2000
    I've sorta done that, but only directly quoted a line or two. By then readers know where you are and what's going on, and you can proceed in your own words from there.

Sometimes it's plainly obvious which scene in which book or movie you're using. If not, acknowledgements are always a good idea.

6. madman007

madman007 Jedi Master star 4

Aug 22, 2007
    I've done this in my epic where I quoted back passages of profic in certain booms but like was said above, I added the author's name and title of the book at the end as a disclaimer.

7. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    If you're going to use somebody else's scene and somebody else's words, quote the exact text. Use the exact words. (The passages you are quoting should not be very long anyway, as the story should be yours, and if someone else's story is the backbone of yours, then you are bordering on plagiarism.) If you paraphrase, beyond making the whole process of quoting meaningless, you risk abusing someone else's intellectual property.

8. Pallas-Athena

Pallas-Athena TFN Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 4 VIP

Nov 29, 2000
    I've quoted dialogue with a disclaimer. I wouldn't quote more than the barest bit of anything directly from a probook. You need to get to the change within a smal paragraph, at most (really just enough to set the stage, have the readers recognize what you're doing, then end it).

All issues of copyright and stuff aside, it's boring. We've already read it.

9. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    I came across a couple of stories on a fan site a while back where the site owner had just copied the entire novelisations of The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. She had credited the authors and put * around the words which weren't her own. On an update page she said she was working on The Truce of Bakura... The only differeces between what she'd done and the original was that she'd added an OC love interest for Luke. I was wondering if she was going to work though the entire novels in that way. My advice is avoid doing it and if you do end up writing a scence based on a scene from a book, only use the dialogue and make sure you credit the author and the work it's from. Everything else should be in your own words. If you look in the film novelisations and the short stories from Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina and Tales from Jabba's Palace, the authors only used the dialogue from the films when they had a scence that crossed over with them.

10. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    If I use any portions of a profic book, I put the passage in italics and then say what book it came from, including the author's name. That's what I did with one of my fics.

11. Exeter

Exeter Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    You may be thinking of Souderwan's Fall of the Sith, where he used portions of Matthew Stover's Revenge of the Sith novel (specifically, the Mace Windu scene) to launch his own AU story. That's what I thought of when I read your post.

If I recall correctly, he attributed those sections to Stover and made it abundantly clear - beforehand - that the work was not his own.

That's how I would handle it. But as mentioned before, there's quite a few ways of approaching it. Unless there's something in the author's exact wording or voice that you find absolutely necessary to illustrate something in your own story, I would simply describe the scene in my own words. It would be no different than altering the fight between Luke and Vader in ESB; it's a canon event, and therefore open for your own flavor of interpretation.

12. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Hey folks.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the info and viewpoints you've provided - it's certainly given me plenty to think about! [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.