main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters USJS Revival: A Renewal of the Insanity? - Working on Saga Awards Excerpt

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by The Musical Jedi, Jan 16, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    So I've lost my mind, and dammit, if I'm going down, I'm at least taking Lilith and Kit with me!

In case you've never heard, the Ultra-Stressed Jedi Students (henceforth referred to as USJS) Saga was a group of stories based around the concept of having an exchange student program set up within the Jedi Order, where Jedi students could go out into the regular world and attend classes, and normal kids would come into the Temple. This evolved into four epic threads (one of which got lost in the Great Snowboards Shift), as well as two Truth or Dare spin-offs, all of which are listed below. Most of the activity took place within the Temple, involving quite a few authors, a dizzying array of plotlines, and a rather chilling ending. The last link has a number of character profiles and is to a planning thread started by Derisa when we were considering writing a prequel.

After some reminiscing in the Oldbies' Guild, at least three of us thought it might be fun to kick back up again. The goal of this thread is to see if there's enough interest to get this going again and, if so, serve as a planning/organizing thread for this. If there isn't enough interest, eventually this thread will be locked and let go on its merry way.

In the Oldbies thread, there was some discussion on whether this would be a whole new cast or whether it would be set a number of years later (perhaps during the Clone Wars?), along the same lines as the original.

So, what do you think?

The Threads:

[link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_stories_classic_jc_board_reply_only/b10016/158583/p1][b]The Ultra Stressed Jedi Students[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=210258&page=1][b]The Continuing Saga of the USJS - The Repost[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Stories--Classic_JC_Board_(Reply-Only)/b10016/210351/p1][b]Part III of the Ultra Stressed Jedi Students[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/f/b1/526961][b]Ultra Stressed Jedi Students, Part IV[/b][/link]

[hr]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Stories--Classic_JC_Board_(Reply-Only)/b10016/197983/p1][b]The Ultra Stressed Jedi Students Play Truth or Dare[/b][/link]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/fan_fiction_stories_classic_jc_board_reply_only/b10016/213998/p1][b]The continuing USJS Truth or Dare thread[/b][/link]

[hr]
    [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Message.aspx?topic=7463287&brd=10304&start=7834118][b]USJS!!! Calling all USJS writers...[/b][/link]

[hr]
    The newest story thread: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/27996678][b]The Ultra Stressed Jedi Students: Return of the Exchange Program[/b][/link]
    Companion thread for Padawans going to a normal school: [link=http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/28037486][b]USJS: An Attempt at Normality[/b][/link]
    [hr]

[hl=green][color=white][b]Current Cast of Characters[/b][/color][/hl]

[b]Available Jedi Masters:[/b]

- Enga Mariss [45] (healer)
    - Ben Barani [36] (healer)
    - Merric Severin [54] (Exemplar)
    - Benno Perion [66] (sports teacher)

[b]Available Exchange Students[/b]

- Rin Ith'ska [16]
    - Gasek Treth [16]
    - Maryah Tate [15]

[b]Paired Jedi and Students[/b]

- Ieron Counc [28] - [link=http://bp1.blogger.com/_wBhpWS2UK_Q/R8DZss6tIZI/AAAAAAAAAIU/emQVxvv8xrg/s1600-h/Stave.png][b]Stave Delaris[/b][/link] [13]
    - [link=http://bp0.blogger.com/_wBhpWS2UK_Q/R9AUtYQJ3pI/AAAAAAAAAIs/LbnqLcLTxwc/s1600-h/Kithera.png][b]Kithera Rinani[/b][/link] [37] - Aeona Maclamahonie [13 - fabricated]
    - Master Zamtoe [110] - [link=http://bp1.blogger.com/_wBhpWS2UK_Q/R7pR_M6tIWI/AAAAAAAAAIA/t5-rTCR8Ja8/s1600-h/Sela.png][b]Sela Lank[/b][/link] [16 - twin]
    - Kirsh'of Aleski [29] - Jecca Brynne [14]
    - K'Vel Kaelson [30] - Gretyl Lanshe [16]
    - Krishna Skywalker [27/31] - [link=http://bp3.blogger.com/_wBhpWS2UK_Q/R7v4mc6tIYI/AAAAAAAAAIM/5vGROGv304E/s1600-h/Kiriath.png][b]Kiriath Nami[/b][/link] [15]
    - Aaqu Maerhin [115] - Kaagi Adin [101] - [link=http://bp2.blogger.com/_wBhpWS2UK_Q/R8Om3M6tIaI/AAAAAAAAAIc/LZ3iJuT

2. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I am so up for this. I came onto the boards during the Old Phase of that and wanted to join in!

3. LilyHobbitJedi

LilyHobbitJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 29, 2005
    Ooh...this sounds very interesting. I'm definitely intrigued.

4. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 1999
    YAY!

This is really cool :) I've only got time to write once every week or possibley fortnight but I'm still going to participate because it was so much fun the first time around (back when I was about 17-18 which is a bit scary considering I'm almost 25 now).

The original premise was really good and led to a lot of fun ideas because it meant that there could and would be non force weilding characters as well as the trusty Jedi. I'd love to put it in the future (after Qui-Gon has died but before Ani grows up to be evil) and still retain some of the old characters but lead the way for a whole host of fresh ones!

Kithera

5. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I've caused all the oldbies to animate their bodies and rise to brush the dust off old fanfic.

WHAT. HAVE. I. DONE? :eek:

I definitely remember the ol' USJS threads hanging around. Definitely a unique presence on the old boards along with the squadfics and such. I'm definitely interested in watching all three of you lose your mind, er, I mean, I'm interesting in reading any sort of revival thread that may pop up. Best of luck! :D

Support oldbie fanfic! Oldbies can't hear well or see straight, and they're completely looney, but it all helps with the writing process!

6. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Don't flatter yourself. They couldn't get me to lie still as an oldbie if they tazed me. ;)

7. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    If you lie still too long, you become one with the Ultimate Bulletin Boards. [face_skull]

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Is that why I have thumbtacks and tacky pictures of road trips plastered all over me?

So, when will this start?

9. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Well, I'd be willing to give it a try. Do people write for specific characters or follow the story? I wasn't around for the original, so would have no one to revive.

I think that during the Clone Wars would be too depressing. Too much death and destruction and everyone gets killed at the end. Some years before the Clone Wars were busy times for the Jedi, but not desperate. And about then would be when that pesky teenage Anakin would be commented about by everyone.

10. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    And no Padme for him to moon after? :p

In the threads before, you mostly wrote for your own character. However, my opinion on the subject is a round-robin is a lot more fun when there's a lot of author interaction - having plots involving all of the characters. And let's face it, we all like seeing one of our own OCs show up in someone else's post. So to answer your question, Anne, I would said a little of both. Glancing through the old threads, it looks to me like most author's posts center around his/her character(s), but involve others.

Clear as mud? ;)

As for when we'll begin, maybe we'll wait a few days? In Derisa's thread, we posted bios of the characters, plus some background information, which is really helpful when you're figuring out names and who's who. 8-}

With timeframe, Anne has a good point.

Also, despite the fact that I started the thread, this is a collaboration. So if you have an opinion, speak up! :D The more the merrier.

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, we could have a round-robin and branch-off stories.

12. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    Oh, he can still moon after Padme. She is a senator, but he's going to have to do his teenage romantic angsting from afar. Certainly if he kept a diary, she'd be all over it. And maybe someone notices that he develops a preference for girls of a very specific look and body type.

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm doing the diary of a Padawan, does that count?

14. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I'm cool with just about anything you folks decide, time-wise. I mean, I've already killed off K'vel and Jane in a Purge fic, so desperate and Jedi dropping like flies or the much more calm preperatory years leading up to that, either is fine with me.

15. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    moosemousse

It's a good idea, but it doesn't really fit in with the concept of a round robin fic. You could definitely put a diary entry or two in there, but mostly it's people taking their own (and other people's characters) and running away with them and making them do insane things (or maybe that was just me ;p) and having fun just working on characterisation.

I think we should try and rope as many people in to this (old and new) and try to have a good amount of starting authors. Definitely see if we can bribe a host of other oldbies to join in and encourage as many new people to have a go as well. I've been looking through the boards and I can't see too many (if any) fics of this nature so I think it'd be cool.

:) Lets go for it!

Kithera

16. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Is there room for a Jedi teacher? If so, I might join this effort. I haven't done a round robin for years (not here, but I have participated in one before).

17. Kit'

Oct 30, 1999
    Oh boy am I in trouble!

I've just spent the last hour and a half studiously ignoring the work that I need to get done for school and instead reading bits and pieces of each thread. It was sort of cool, very sad in parts and cringeworthy in others *sigh*. Still a good bit of inspiration.

Kithera

18. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I look forward to follow the saga once again. :D

19. The Musical Jedi

Dec 13, 1999
    leiamoody, absolutely. :) Someone has to teach the exchange students and Padawans. ;)

I was thinking about timeline last night, and if we go with ardavenport's idea, it would be about six years after TPM, making Anakin around 15 (plenty of teenage angst). This means, for the veterans, that Obi-Wan and clan would be about 13 years older (if my math is correct; Obi-Wan was 22 in TPM if I remember correctly, which is seven years, plus the extra six). Does that sound good to everyone?

If you guys have already thought about characters, please fill out this survey so that the rest of us can get to know them:

Name:
    Height:
    Build:
    Saber color:
    Master/Apprentice:
    Notables: (Likes, dislikes, pervasive rumors, etc.)

20. Quigonjecca

Quigonjecca Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    Is there room for one more? I'd love to sign up!

ETA: Can we use already existing OC's? I have one named Krishna that would be awesome...

21. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    I've read some of the story and I must say that I am totally loving this idea more and more. Could we have more than one character?

22. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Can there be non-jedi characters?

23. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Oh, absolutely, Alexis. That was the whole point: to stick non-jedi in with the jedi and see what wackiness would ensue.

Name: K'vel Kaelson
    Hair and eye color: red-brown (cinnamon)
    Height: 6'4"
    Build: Broad shoulders, lots of muscle
    Saber color: Blue
    Master/Apprentice:
  24. Master(s): Kirstin and Nicholae Orien
  25. Apprentice: TBD

26. Notables: Close ties with the Republic military, served more than one stint in an advisory post with the Fleet. Serious relationship with Force-sensitive Jane Jinn.

K'vel is available as a Master for an exchange student (non-jedi). Anyone who's interested, let me know.

27. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Name: Chanala Roisine

Hair: Auburn

Eyes: Hazel

Height: 5"7

Build: Slender

Saber color: Green

Master: Sying Letrado (deceased)

Apprentice: Josym Huranz (last apprentice before her retirement)

Notables: A strong believer in the principles of Qui-Gon Jinn, including his preference for the Living Force.

In an unorthodox fashion that incurred the regular disapproval of the Council, she encouraged all her padawans to make contact with their birth families, revealing the names of their parents and birthworlds on their thirteenth birthdays.

She is a pacifist who absolutely refuses to engage in combat. It's for this reason she resigned from being an active Master, choosing instead to teach Pre-Republic History at the Temple.

28. LilyHobbitJedi

Aug 29, 2005
    Well though I've never participated in something like this, I've decided that I definitely have to try this. I hope it's ok to use two characters because I have two, one Jedi one not.

Name: Jorya Lank
    Hair and eye color: Dark brown hair and blue eyes.
    Height: 5 ft.
    Build: Physically fit.
    Saber color: Blue
    Master/Apprentice: Master Ellia Taske
    Notables: Besides being very short for her age, Jorya is quite the klutz. She is very easily distracted by her imaginings, but has a sharp wit and a good sense of humor. She is also unaware of the fact that she has a twin sister, Sela.

Name: Sela Lank
    Hair and eye color: Dark brown hair that has blonde highlights and blue eyes.
    Height: 5?2??
    Build: Skinny
    Saber color: N/A
    Master/Apprentice: ?
    Notables: Sela comes from a wealthy family and so is used to living in luxury, and is a Daddy?s girl. She spends most of her free time attending parties, and drawing. She is not vain, and does have a good heart, but she will find it hard to adjust to the Jedi Temple. Sela knows about her Jedi twin sister, but never met her.

I'm definitely interested since I don't know who will be Sela's Master when she comes to the Temple.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.