main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Vader: Dark Visions

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Force Smuggler, Dec 5, 2018.

1. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Finished issue 5. I liked it, really liked the art, wish these artists could work on the main star wars comic instead of these.

Overall Dark Visions was an alright series, had some good stuff. Did overall come across as meh to me, it was mainly too short for me, not enough to be interesting.

When it comes to the nurse from issue 3, I would not be opposed to a man being portrayed in a similar way, maybe even as fanatic towards Vader as the nurse was. I would prefer that character to be obsessed with someone else since Vader has already been done now, but a male character being obsessed with Boba Fett or Tarkin, or Cad Bane etc would be fine with me. I was reminded of this series due to the recent horrific story where a japanese woman stabbed a male friend because she was obsessed with him. For some reason people drew fanart of her and wanted her released. Some people are just strange like that, and are attracted to horrible people.

If anyone have any recommendations of new star wars comics i would love to hear them. Besides DV i recently read Age of Republic and enjoyed it.

2. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    Then it seems like we're on the same page here. Yes, it'd be much better to have a woman writing the female nurse. And it's one of two reasons why I'd have preferred Chuck to write a male nurse rather than the female one we got. Her being portrayed as a crazy stalker is exactly the problem, and wasn't handled with enough care.

3. Merlyn Emerald

Merlyn Emerald Jedi Master star 3

Jan 3, 2019
    I'd still prefer a female nurse, only a normal one. Still, Lord Vader has A LOT of female fans. That would be more logical. And nice to associate ourselves with the character. Just need to properly register this character.

I have a thought for Chuck. His plot... My thought is dark. The nurse was picking up "pieces" of Vader, right down to his blood. What would collect the male fan if he working in the morgue?! Corpses of Vader's victims? Because I don't believe Chuck would have been able to prescribe a better situation. What is there to change so much? Maybe I'm subjective, I don't argue. Chuck is a bad writer to me... His "Aftermath" I read the last of the forces, just took on the principle and finished reading. The trilogy pulls on 1 out of 5... I prefer the post-Endor from Timothy Zahn and his Thrawn Trilogy.

4. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    Like Lumiya! she idolized Vader AAND was amazing in her own right!

Jarrus likes this.
  5. Merlyn Emerald

Jan 3, 2019
    Shira Brie? She's not very normal. Her brain was brainwashed by ideology from her childhood, she was specially trained in all this... Did she idealize Vader? I remember her words to Luke, where she called Vader a pathetic, broken invalid. Dubious idealization...

No, no, no... The lady does not have to be a fanatic or aggressive. Not Lumiya, not the nurse and not Aphra. Someone like Padme, only more consonant with Anakin/Vader. In fact, in addition to Padme, very difficult to pick up a passion for Lord Vader. Every fangirl considers herself an ideal, probably, but it is not so... I've loved this character since I was six years old, but I wouldn't fit him either. Ah, milord...

6. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    I was mostly joking, but your answer got me interested. If you had to pick a flaw from Padme´s character, what would it be? She was smart, a very capable politician without any of the flaws traditionally associated to that job; a tolerant, freedom loving character that will devote her life to helping others without any kind of boundary; of course, very skilled with a blaster, agile and fit, absolutely capable in a fight; charming, young and beautiful (not saying that this makes her a better character, I'm just saying that its sadly a factor when evaluating female characters for many); and loving, with her child and with the main character. A good friend, too, to characters like Ahsoka, without an inch of arrogance or superiority towards her handmaidens and guards.

Seeing it that way, and looking her as a representative of women all around, of course we are going to find her acceptable. Its only a matter of taste: to me, its a boring character that I find far down in the list of favorites. I´ll take Lumiya anyday, a conflicted, resentful and powerful individual that made her best to keep the flame of the Sith alive for decades (and succeeded). That being said, with a book about Padme recently out, I´ll check it out eventually, because she probably comes out as a more rounded, deeper character there...

Darth_Pevra and Jarrus like this.
  7. Merlyn Emerald

Jan 3, 2019
    For me, the most important flaw of Padme is idealism. Her worldview is, shall we say, unviable. Padme was quite sure that Naboo was also fine... but no... the situation with the Gungans is unpleasant... And her views on life were too different from Anakin's. It is not democracy that will save the world (or galaxy), but order. Without cruelty, of course! But order. In general, this is the most important... and the only... flaw of Padme.

You mean "Queen's shadow"? I also plan to read this book. But I read a lot of reviews and... unfortunately, people says that the book is extremely boring. There are many descriptions of royal life - baths, make-up, costumes - a few people interested in it.

In general, we can come to the conclusion that it is pointless to attribute to Lord Vader any woman other than Padme. Because it's getting out of hand. And sometimes even unpleasant. I've never seen a comic where a normal woman was created for milord... not necessarily a lover, but at least an assistant... In the fanfic "Daughter of the Empire" is also a character not particularly well-received... but at least she was able to work with milord...

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    Ithorians likes this.
  8. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    You know what character did a good job for Vader, I seem to recall? there was an officer Uddra in Darth Vader´s Annual Nº2 that was from the ISB. She seemed efficient and quite loyal to Vader, and he seemed pleased with her work. I wasn't a big fan of that issue, and I don't recall to hear again from her, but at least she came to mind when looking for a capable yet normal female character to interact with him...

Jarrus and JediFett10 like this.
  9. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Interesting discussion going on here. There's one question to ask: How normal can a person be that falls in love with a mass murderer?

Being a fan of Vader is different because he is a fictional character, fantasizing about him is a way to express some darker feelings that are usually hard to express in real life. It's a way to engage with the jungian shadow self in a way. In some rare cases, this can go too far when fans lose the ability to separate fiction from reality, but again, that's very rare.

But for the nurse, Vader being a mass murderer is reality. And her condoning all his violence makes her a fundamentally flawed character from a moral standpoint, just like Aphra is fundamentally flawed. She is not a heroic character and thus doesn't need to be treated like one.

At least that's my opinion on the matter.

10. Merlyn Emerald

Jan 3, 2019
    I wouldn't call her normal. I read additional information about this character, and Uddra is cruel. She taught her employees... breaking their fingers and humiliating them in every way. Although, perhaps, for the Imperial officers cruelty is already the norm... I just don't take it well personally.

Padme continued to love him, no matter what. Was she insane? Or has she gone crazy?

But if... For example, if I was in the GFFA and had the opportunity to become Vader's assistant, then I would become it (not even for the sake of high salary) ... Would I be considered insane? Probably will. But only because of the words about the salary. [face_laugh]

The nurse character is hard to take seriously because she's really set up as a crazy stalker...

11. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Padmé still married Anakin after he confessed to her that he killed the Tuskens and she was often portrayed as the voice of reason in this relationship while Anakin was more about the emotional side of it.

12. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Well she fell in love with him before he became a mass murderer. But I admit Padme was always a weird character to me. On the one hand, she is portrayed as this principled person but on the other she kinda knows that Anakin is dangerous and choses not to do much about it.

To me, she kinda feels like a plot device meant to prop up Anakin's story. In Episode III she's crying a lot while the men get to do all the important stuff.

As citizen of the GFFA I'd probably write fanfiction as well, lol. ;)

The nurse character is hard to take seriously because she's really set up as a crazy stalker...[/QUOTE]

Well, I can empathize with her somewhat. She lives in a completely sterile environment, has no friends, fun, or life possibilities. Even her boss is miserable all the time. I think I'd go crazy working there.

Jarrus likes this.
  13. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Though she doesn't confess her love until after he's already admitted to one mass murder and her response to that was "to be angry is to be human".

Hot take: Padmé is the worst of Anakin's enablers. Including Palpatine.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    Yeah, Padme was just as blinded by love as Anakin.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I figured the Lars family had basically primed her to forgive him, by spending most of the evening telling her horror stories about the Tuskens, so by the time Anakin returned, she was not likely to be especially empathetic toward them.

16. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Yeah, it has a certain co-dependency vibe to it. But lets not go there...

17. Ithorians

Apr 26, 2016
    That's terrible, I didn't know that... but its hardly surprising for an interrogation officer. By normal, I meant not a dark side user or a special kind of operative, like the Death Troopers. Thing is, this is Darth Vader we are talking about. In a day to day, non isolated manner, its very hard to find "regular" people dealing with him. I remember in SOTE imperial officers (described normally as pretty bad people themselves) drawing straws, the loser having to report to him. Even the Inquisitors fear him. He is not the kind of man that want to attract any kindness near him: at this point, he only respects efficiency, and in the Empire view, efficient and cruel, well, can go hand by hand. Just look at Galen Erso when he wanted to deviate from that.

Isn't it rather scary, though? As terrible as it sounds, being his assistant just increases the chance of being killed by him... a mistake with big repercussions is all it takes. Its not really earning a higher place in his considerations, or being able to know deeper about his feelings, or achieving any kind of kinship with him.

That being said, its a chance to deal directly with him, and he does values efficiency! At least Vaneé seemed to manage to stay alive in that role for decades...

Jarrus likes this.
  18. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    Well, Padmé's from a planet where the humans looked down on another species on the planet. Sure Padmé was progressive on Gungans, but does she truly feel that way about all species? She likes the ones that conform to Galactic Republican norms, but do we know how she really feels about "primitive" sentients? I think she's Space-Racist. That's why she was fine with Anakin's Tuskin slaughter. Dead Jedi younglings? A tragedy. Dead Tusken children? A part of courtship.

Sent from my SM-G390W using Tapatalk

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    p. 238, Queen's Shadow:

JediFett10 and Darth_Duck like this.
  20. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    I bet Anakin and Padmé's reunion on Mustafar would've gone better if he brought her Gunray's head on a platter.

Darth_Pevra and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  21. Merlyn Emerald

Jan 3, 2019
    I don't care. This man is very attractive, and it doesn't matter what happens next, even if it's death. On the other hand, I fantasize about living in the GFFA not as an ordinary person, but as a fan caught in a dream. Feel the difference? A fan with all the information. Which I would tell to milord. [face_batting]

Smartly... Now Padme was made a galactic-level racist. She may have made missteps in terms of opinions about the Gungan, but she was not a racist... [face_bleh]

Padme stayed with Anakin even after ALL he'd done. Younglings, Jedi, Tuskens, other held by... So your charges are off the register. [face_shhh]

Everyone at once? Of course she couldn't stand them, because it was the Neimoidians who had set her planet up with the damn blockade and other problems. She'd say the same thing about humans who did that. [face_sigh]

22. Darth_Duck

Oct 13, 2000
    I dunno. I think Space-Racist is a marginally better look than just having Padmé sing "Stand by Your Man" while Anakin indiscriminately murders left, right and centre. Cuz I don't think see that as a redeeming look. At least as a Space-Racist she's down with some slaughter for ethnic superiority reasons as opposed to being down with it because... Tammy Wynette said so?

23. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the very same book, Padme at least acknowledges that most Neimoidians are perfectly law-abiding and she shouldn't blame them all for Gunray's actions.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2019
  24. VengefulRepublic

VengefulRepublic Jedi Knight

Jan 8, 2016
    Those were more in the nature of Easter Eggs, available to see for those straining hard enough, but not the overt messages he was conveying. His themes were universal. His Star Wars films were much stronger as a result, compared to the travesty of the ST films.The ST exalts ideology above aesthetic concerns and story. That is why they fail and won't stand the test of time.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  25. Coherent Axe

Coherent Axe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 2016
    The Battle of Endor was an overt reference to Vietnam. He's said so many times, and it's very easy to pick up on. I mean, I get it, you don't like the ST, but...we've known about this stuff since it came out.

How exactly does the ST "exalt ideology above aesthetic concerns and story"? Could you give specific examples, especially as apparently all real-world references in the OT are just "easter eggs". The references in the ST must be pretty clear and direct in comparison, then.

Outsourced likes this.