main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VADER EPISODE 1: SHARDS OF THE PAST - A STAR WARS THEORY FAN-FILM

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Tycalibur, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Tycalibur

Tycalibur Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 26, 2001

This 15 minute fan film premiered tonight on YouTube, if it's not ok to post here, I apologize, please moderate it.

Already 2 hours later it has 145,000 views. I felt like I was in a Star Wars film more than a fan film. I hope you enjoy it!

Darth Smurf and bluealien1 like this.
  2. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    this was hyped up beyond possibly being able to deliver. Yet, imo, it delivered. So much to like. Vader's costume is absolutely phenomenal.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2018
    bluealien1 likes this.
  3. PadawanGussin

PadawanGussin Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    Here is the new fan made movie from Star Wars Theory on YouTube.

Enjoy !

4. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Beat me to it - Its fantastic!:D

JorakUln and PadawanGussin like this.
  5. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    I'm really surprised this isn't getting more discussion here. Not only is it brilliant, but it's the #2 trending video on all of YouTube right now. It's probably the biggest Star Wars event, official or unofficial, since Solo itself and deserves a bit more promotion, I'd argue.

6. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    agreed

JorakUln likes this.
  7. TripleZero

TripleZero Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 13, 2017
    I've been following this project since its announcement. I'm genuinely happy for SWT's success and hope his donations continue to fuel his future episodes, I was nervous about how it would turn out, but he made something that is truly a passion project, and I am happy that fans have come together on it.

But I digress, actors did a great job, production value is unprecedented for such a project. SWT's content has always focused on Anakin Skywalker's latter days and Darth Vader's early days, and he captured Vader's internal struggles in such an incredible way.

I would love to see this project influence Star Wars youtubers and fans jump into their own passion projects. Oddly enough, Oscar Isaac said something similar earlier this year, that Star Wars is a big universe and people can be inspired to create their own stuff.

Blackhole E Snoke and JorakUln like this.
  8. Darth Luch

Darth Luch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 28, 2016
    I didn't like it, I thought it was boring, some visual were pretty bad and palatine was really ridiculous. The dialogue were unoriginal and the vader Rogue One scene was badly done.
    It's way behind the Darth Maul fan film in term of quality (for me).
    Anyway I have huge respect for those fan which made this movie, it should have taken a lot of time and money.

Fredrik Vallestrand and JorakUln like this.
  9. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    I am not in the habit of watching fan films or even theory videos on social media but I got the link from a friend who generally shares my feelings about SW so I gave it a shot. I really liked the way it deals with Vader's mindset both about Padme AND his anger towards Palpatine. I was honestly hoping he was kicking some ass! Good use of subversion at two separate times. I appreciated how the film showcased Anakin's quick thinking in combat situations as well as his power during the force stasis of the blaster bolts. The scene of the body OUT of the suit was my favorite. I found myself cheering Vader on one minute and feeling empathy for him the next.

Good story overall just had some issues with the acting/actors.

Lady_Skywalker87 and JorakUln like this.
  10. JorakUln

JorakUln Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 23, 2005
    I agree with that last part. I wrote a review for a comic book/movie review site I write for and did a large analysis of the impact this film is going to have (just hit 1MM views in 24 hours, that is insane).

Green_Destiny_Sword likes this.
  11. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    alt credit music for immersive purpose

12. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    TCF-1138 likes this.
  13. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    Wow...those few moments were the best SW I've seen in about 35 years.
    Lucasfilm clearly has the wrong people making their movies.

14. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    I disagree. This has become more than just a fan film and discussion shouldn't be hidden away in this rarely visited forum.

dg1995 and PadawanGussin like this.
  15. PadawanGussin

Sep 6, 2017
    I thought so too, its become one of the more interesting and important Star Wars related topics in a while.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  16. Green_Destiny_Sword

Green_Destiny_Sword Force Ghost star 5

Jun 20, 2001
    I loved it. As a fan film it’s a phenomenal and I often do not like SW fanfilms. As a film, yes, the action could have been better in parts. But what makes it a good film is the thought, heart and emotion that do clearly went into the script. The opening scene genuinely mystified me. I was wondering if they were going to alter cannon and have Vader kill Sidious. It was just an excellent way to pull me in. I also loved the Padme voice/vision scenes. It automatically brought the depth to Vader’s character the PT SHOULD have had.

I give Theory a ton of credit for this effort and can’t wait for episode 2. And I hope this really inspires more fan/directors/writers/actors to collaborate on future efforts and keep the franchise going now that Disney has butchered it beyond repair.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    I was blown away by the production value of this. At times I forgot I was watching a fan film.

Also, so creepy watching Vader hug someone.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Thread merge.

It is still a fan film, and any discussions of fan films go in this forum.
    And what better way to wake this part of the boards up a bit, than to have an event fan film to discuss? :)

I haven't checked this one out yet, as I've been on Christmas vacation, but I'll watch it later today. I'm really looking forward to it!

19. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Good production value, otherwise, very bad. Like really really bad.

20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I liked it. The production value was amazing, and it was no doubt one of the most accomplished fan films ever made from a visual standpoint. I wasn't too crazy about the Emperor in either voice or appearance, and I think they should have left Padmé's and young Anakin's faces hidden, as the actors looked nothing like their big screen counterparts, but that's nitpicking.
    It's not my favorite fan film ever, but it's certainly high up on my list. Congrats to the filmmakers for pulling this off! Can't wait to see what they do in episode 2.

sethg, wobbits and Blackhole E Snoke like this.
  21. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    You should probably say why you think it is so bad.

22. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    The triple deke in the first scene was awful. It undercuts every bit of potential drama. The dialog was terrible. Palpatine's lines sounded like they were written by Frank Caliendo's version of Stephen A. Smith. Which made his long winded discussion with Vader completely unbearable. The acting was bad. Too many moments were designed for the sole purpose of getting a reaction.

23. DarthHutt

DarthHutt Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 2, 2000
    "The dialog was terrible. Palpatine's lines sounded like they were written by Frank Caliendo's version of Stephen A. Smith."
    "The acting was bad. Too many moments were designed for the sole purpose of getting a reaction."

Same arguments about the Prequels, except this was executed better.

24. zackm

Dec 22, 2015
    Yes. Those things were indeed bad in the Prequels. I would strongly disagree that this was executed better. Prequels also didn't have any triple dekes.

ETA: Something I didn't mention in my other post, but one of the biggest problems with this is that there is no there there. Nothing happens.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  25. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Not sure what you mean by triple dekes. Where is the faking? That Vader keeps defeating Sidious only for him to keep coming back is typical for a dream sequence. The discussion scene afterwards was a bit long I agree, but I don't think the acting or dialogue was bad. It has already got me more interested in what will happen in episode 2 of this than what will happen in the real episode IX.

Nitpicking: Vader's eyelashes should have been edited out I think. They are so long and noticeable lol. I also thought it was unnecessary to put NABOO up on the screen in a very un Star Wars like way. We were just told that Vader would be going to Naboo, we don't need to be told a second time mere seconds later

Last edited: Dec 28, 2018