main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Vader Force chokes to torture...himself?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by yodaman_reborn, Jun 23, 2018.

1. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009
    Anakin Force chokes Padme in ROTS and is led to believe this is what killed her. It’s interesting to see that later that same Force choke becomes his signature way of killing people (well mostly other imperials that is). I wonder if every time he Force chokes someone he thinks back to what he did to Padme. As much physical pain as it causes the other person, does it cause himself emotional pain? Does he purposely use the Force choke as a way to torment himself?

Master_Rebado likes this.
  2. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    I doubt it. I'd think all that is hidden deep down were it doesn't really bother him. If he's choking Imperials, it is because they have disappointed him. He has no reason to torment himself in the moments he is choking any of these guys.

3. yodaman_reborn

Feb 7, 2009
    Well I don't think he's thinking, "I'm mad at this guy and I'm going kill him, but I also want to torment myself right now too." Rather that he's made a decision that if he's going to kill people, he's deliberately going to use the method that he believed had killed his wife. It's a self-inflicted punishment for the deed he believed he had done.

Bazinga'd likes this.
  4. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Force choke is a pretty standard Dark Sider move. Others like Maul and Tyranus for example combine Force choke with levitating their victim or victims off the ground and either slow choke them or completely snap their necks , spines and toss bodies aside.

5. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Close. He chokes people because he subconsciously envies them for that which was taken from him: the power of natural respiration. The breath of life.

He chokes Padme because when he's around her, he can't breathe. She takes his breath away. So when she displeases him, that's his revenge. That's how it all starts, then it takes on a darkly literal twist.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2018
  6. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Vader knows from personal experience how painful it is to suffocate. That he wishes to share that feeling shows just how vile he can be. Maybe it's even some sort of revenge. Maybe he is a little bit jealous of those who can still breathe freely.

The_Phantom_Calamari and Ava G. like this.
  7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Hmm I never thought of that but thats brilliant. That absolutely makes sence from a psychological perspective.

8. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Force choking is easy, powerful and intimidating. I can end you by lifting my finger.

9. yodaman_reborn

Feb 7, 2009
    I do like your idea on that and it does make sense. However I also still like my idea as it gives a more personal connection to Padme rather than him obsessing about his own self, though I suppose that’s probably the point.

10. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I would think he did torture himself to use the pain to feed his anger and hatred.

Vader wasn't exactly the most balanced of people mentally.

11. theraphos

theraphos Jedi Knight star 2

May 20, 2016
    It did not "become" his signature thing AFTER Padme. It was already his thing, I remember him doing it in The Clone Wars. He just couldn't do it where other Jedi were watching back then and he hadn't reached the point where he was killing with it yet, but he was absolutely already into crushing people's throats.

Darkside-tainted people love power and control (Anakin is openly obsessed with both those things), like IRL serial killers, and strangling is popular with that kind of person for that reason. Dennis Rader/"BTK" said it made him "feel like God."

12. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    How poetic!=D=@};- George would be proud.

[face_sigh]

That only works if you take TCW into account.

Back in MAY 2005 IT DID BECOME HIS SIGNATURE AFTER HIS WIFE, as Padmè was the first person Vader used The Choke on...EVER; leaving my seventeen year old self in complete shock. So the OP is saying still makes sense.

Anyway,

I believe in his own twisted way, he used it as a way on way he uses it to honor her and what she stood for. Look at people he uses it on; sadistic, arrogant men who really only care about themselves. That's how I see it.

Master_Rebado likes this.
  13. Master_Rebado

Master_Rebado Chosen One star 6

May 31, 2004

If this was so . . .

[​IMG]

Iron_lord and Snafu55 like this.
  14. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
  15. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I couldn't stop laughing at this. I was having a difficult day today. You made my day man!

16. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    You're welcome. Thanks for being a

DarthTalonx likes this.