main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vader has Yellow Eyes as the Mask goes on.

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by SAND-CRAWLER, Jan 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    What you are thinking is yellow is different angles of the whites of his eyes being raw and bloodshot. Sorry they are not yellow. As I said in a previous post, I looked at the movie ten times did screen caps to my computer, and nope, not yellow.

The pic of Anaking on Mustafar, yes THERE they are yellow, but not at all as the helmut goes on.

2. PowerUnlimitedPower

PowerUnlimitedPower Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 10, 2006
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/SAND-CRAWLER/vader0057rs.jpg]

i agree. this shot is not proof. his eyes look bloodshot and red. and besides it's the whites of his eyes that are red. when you have the yellow Sith eyes it's the colored part of the eye that goes yellow not the whites. and his whites are bloodshot and his eyes almost look black . like his pupils are Wide open.

3. SAND-CRAWLER

SAND-CRAWLER Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003

:rolleyes:

So, you're saying that he HAS NO iris in this shot?
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/SAND-CRAWLER/vader0047cj.jpg]

You're saying that his eyes are just white and bloodshot and there's a pupil in the middle? Come on. LOOK at that shot. He has an iris, and it's not brown. It's YELLOW-brown. It's not red. The red is outside the pupil. How come others here in this thread can see what I'm talking about (BothofUS, Roland of Gilead) and yet others can't see what I'm talking about at ALL?!!? Maybe your computer monitor isn't up to par or maybe everyone's colourblind. All I know is that you can SEE his iris in that shot and it's NOT the red bloodshot white of his eyes. Your iris DOESN'T get bloodshot, only the whites of your eyes do. Your iris always is the same colour because the cornea over it is always clear. For some reason, his iris in that profile shot is MUCH more yellow than the previous overhead shot. The only explanation I can see is that it's the darkside. How else can you explain it?

4. PowerUnlimitedPower

Jan 10, 2006
    it's not Sith eyes. look at the other shot. the whites of his eyes are RED , can you not see that?. his eye color alomost looks black. if it were Sith eyes the colored part would be very yellow with a red edge. it's not.

5. SAND-CRAWLER

Sep 12, 2003
    :oops: :oops: :oops: Did you not even READ the first post in this thread? In that shot his eyes are JUST NORMAL(apart from the blood shot).

That shot is NOT the shot I'm talking about. THIS is the shot I'm talking about. Yes, his eyes are bloodshot but LOOK AT HIS IRIS'S IN BOTH SHOTS!! In the first, they're brown. In the second (profile shot) they're YELLOW-brown.

6. PowerUnlimitedPower

Jan 10, 2006
    Whatever Dude!. and i posted the wrong pic by mistake when i quoted that post. but your still. grasping at straws. both pics look the same. in the one you are talking about i see eyelashes and a bit of bloodshot, and my monitor is fine. and i still see the colored part of the eye as very dark.

7. Sidious_T

Sidious_T Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 2, 2004
    :rolleyes: To you too......

I SEE the iris in the eyes, but they are not yellow or yellow brown for that matter. Sorry, Nope.

8. SAND-CRAWLER

Sep 12, 2003
    Again, you're NOT reading what I'm saying. Are his eyes FULL Sith eyes? No. Are his eyes TURNING into Sith eyes? Yes. In the overhead shot, his IRIS'S are brown. In the profile shot, his IRIS is YELLOW-BROWN, when he's got FULL Sith eyes, his IRIS'S are FULL YELLOW.

I'm not saying that he has FULL Sith eyes in that profile shot. I'm saying that they are in the process of transition. Brown to Yellow-brown to Yellow. Just as Anakin goes from "Anakin" to "Anakin and Vader" to just "Vader". As far as the red ring around his irises, he doesn't have them yet in that profile shot, but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Again, in the profile shot his iris is MUCH more yellow than in the overhead shot (although not yet a full Sith yellow).

9. SAND-CRAWLER

Sep 12, 2003
    Again, let me say that I've looked at that pic through my LCD monitors at work and my CRT at home and I can ONLY see the color difference on my LCD monitor. I CAN'T see it on my CRT monitor. LCD's have a much greater colour vibrancy than CRTs and if I just saw that pic on my CRT I never would have brought this up because his irises are brown in both shots on my CRT. On my LCD, his Iris is brown in the overhead shot and yellow in the profile shot.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree because for some reason(monitor, colour settings, colour blindness, etc...) you aren't seeing how his eyes are a much more yellowed shade of brown in the profile shot than the overhead shot. All I know is that when I watched this shot in the theatre sitting in the tenth row, that profile shot's eyes were much more yellow than brown, just as in the pic I have posted. If you can't see it, then I don't know what to say, but all I know is that my eyes aren't lying to me and on my LCD monitor Hayden's iris is more yellow than brown in that profile shot. I'm sorry if you can't see it.

10. PowerUnlimitedPower

Jan 10, 2006
    what i don't get is aside from not seeing your point, why would his eyes go like that. he looked afraid. it seems odd that he would get Sith eyes when he is afraid of the mask going on. i thought sith eyes are from rage.

11. SAND-CRAWLER

Sep 12, 2003
    I guess the phrase here is "Don't put the cart before the horse". "Why" his eyes would go like that is what we are trying to conclude from the evidence given. Theories follow evidence, not the other way around.

From the evidence given, it's hard to say with concrete assurance. His eye in the profile shot can only be seen on screen for only a moment. Maybe it was put in by the effects artists for their own reasons and Lucas never noticed it. Maybe it was just put in as a "1138" moment where only the people looking for it would see it. Maybe...

As for my thoughts, they're just my thoughts. I'd like to think that it's a subtle story cue that the mask going on is a direct parallel to Anakin's loss of humanity and submission to the dark side. First, the mask is high above. Anakin has brown eyes and has a flash of fear but dissipates it with the dark side. Then, in the profile shot, his eyes are already starting to turn from brown to yellow-brown showing that he's conquering his fear with the dark side. Once that mask is on and sealed and he takes his first breath, I believe that his eyes are fully yellow. I believe that Vader has those Sith yellow eyes throughout the entire OT until the point where he throws the Emperor down the reactor shaft.

But those are just my thoughts and beliefs and you don't have to share them. They may be wrong, but it doesn't change the fact that his iris is a much lighter and MUCH more yellow in the profile shot than his dark brown eyes in the overhead shot. In the overhead shot, you can barely distinguish his iris from his pupil because his iris is so dark. In the profile shot, you can CLEARLY distinguish his iris from his pupil. That means that either one of two things happened between those shots. Either his pupil got darker in the second shot or his iris got lighter in the second shot. The first case is wrong because his pupil is already black in the first shot. In other words, the color of his iris is changed to a brighter more yellow shade of brown between the two shots. WHY? No one may ever know, but it doesn't change the fact that his iris changed.

On another note, I don't recall ever seeing a statement that yellow sith eyes were only caused by rage and hate. In fact, the only clear reason for any yellow eye changing has been given by Lucas himself. From the script is says "Palpatine's eyes turn yellow as he struggles to intensify his power (against Mace's deflected lightning)". Lucas's OWN words, mind you. Yellow eyes are caused by a person channelling the dark side and intensely focussing it and NOT by hate or rage. The hate and rage are just by-products and side effects of that channelling. That means that Vader's eyes changing to yellow in that scene does not mean that he has to be filled with hate or rage, but that he could be channelling the dark side with an extreme effort in order to extinguish his fear.

12. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    As noted earlier -- no 'red ring' to the alleged 'yellow' in the profile shot. 'Sith eyes' are not just the yellow iris, but yellow iris ringed in red! This is evidence that the profile shot is not 'Sith eyes.'

Plus, I agree with those posting that his look is more of fear than rage. How can he go from 'normal' in the frontal shot to 'Sith eyes' in the profile a mere second later? Unlikely!

[image=http://www.darthrage.com/starwars/pictures/3/sw_7b.jpg]

Now the view from inside the mask out of the helmet -- THAT is 'Sith eyes,' baby!

13. arielthalandra

arielthalandra Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 10, 2002
    I thought Hayden wore blue contact lenses for most of his role as Anakin. I was under the impression that Anakin had blue eyes, like Luke, and they turned yellow only when he was consumed with rage.

14. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    ^^^
    Mayhaps -- but check out the full-frontal shot at the top of this page -- changes the song to "Don't it make my blue eyes brown!"

15. Tiershon_Fett

Tiershon_Fett Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 25, 2000
    The make up guy said his eyes were burned, like that pale blue color when eyes are damaged.

16. chibiangi

chibiangi Jedi Master star 4

Jun 16, 2002
    Hayden's eyes were blue/green in the movie, which is his real eye color IIRC. If you look at a blue eyes person from the side, their eyes will look clear. If Lucas wanted his eyes to be yelloe, he would have made it obvious.

17. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    I can see it too Sand_Crawler! His eye does look aweful light in color! At least in that shot.

18. SAND-CRAWLER

Sep 12, 2003
    Yes, thank you. Look people, I'm not trying to convince you that he has full Sith eyes. I'm not even trying to claim that I know exactly what it means. It's just something that I noticed in the theatre and my mind went "that was wierd" and I just thought I'd share it with the rest of the fan community. Interpret it how you want to, but you must agree that his iris is REALLY wierd in that shot and there's NO reason whatsoever for it to be that colour at all. It's very strange.

I'd love to get an explanation from someone who worked on the film. Maybe they made his eyes yellow but changed it back in the over head shot but forgot this scene. Maybe it was one of the effects artists having a little subtle fun that Lucas wouldn't notice. Maybe...etc. Either way, his iris is NOT brown as it is in the previous shot and it's NOT Anakin's blue-green eyes either. It's a very light yellow shade of brown. People's iris's DON'T just change colours. It's just a wierd filmmaking moment. Interpret it how you want to, but for me I like to believe that it's a reflection of Anakin losing his humanity and fully embracing the darkside. The eyes are the windows of the soul and to me seeing them change reflects the change in his soul.

19. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, from the profile angle:

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/SAND-CRAWLER/vader0047cj.jpg]

I can?t say for certain if they are somewhat yellow, or not. But this representation isn?t in the movie, anyway. Yes, there is a profile shot in the movie, but by the time we see it, the mask is already covering the eye and nose area. We don?t see the eyes in that shot, like we do in this picture.

Don?t get me wrong, it?s a great picture, but the color of his eyes becomes somewhat irrelevant if it isn?t even in the movie. As it stands, just from the movie, his eyes aren?t yellow in that scene.

20. SAND-CRAWLER

Sep 12, 2003
    AHH!! So there WAS a change between the theatrical version and the DVD!!! It all makes sense now.

I remember SEEING this shot IN the theatre. My brother bought me the bootleg from Chinatown (he bought it because the overall storyline on the back of the cover was NOTHING at all related to the movie, the credits were from "Fight Club", etc...) and you couldn't see his eyes in that shot. I thought it was really strange that it was different than the version I saw during my third theatrical viewing. I'll check the official DVD this weekend and I'll see if what you're saying is correct about not being able to see his eyes in the profile shot or not. All I know is that I DID see this profile shot in the theatre, you COULD see his eyes for a moment before the mask was on and they WERE visibly yellowed.

...The Plot Thickens... o_O

21. DT421

DT421 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2003
    Well, when I typed this up yesterday, I literally, just an hour earlier, went home for lunch and popped in the DVD and watched the whole scene and the profile in this picture is not in there. I don?t really remember seeing this particular shot when it was out in the theaters, but that doesn?t mean it wasn?t originally in there. :)

22. Master_Mace_Windows

Master_Mace_Windows Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 18, 2005
    :confused: Weren't Anakin's eyes BLUE originally?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.