main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Vader Vs. Obi-Wan Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Deliveranze, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Does this not exist? If not, we need it. The Anakin/Vader vs Obi-Wan fight was always going to be a major part of the PT. In 1983, it was revealed Obi-Wan caused Anakin to fall into a lava pit/volcano/nuclear reactor (depending on your source). Speculation commenced for years on what that duel was like, and in 1999, we realized this was gonna happen. However, we didn't get to see it on the big screen until 2005. Hayden Christensen and Ewan McGregor changed the way we saw lightsabers in SW with their impeccable speed and swordplay. Also, this duel is the longest swordfight put to film. What is your favorite part of the duel?

This video includes some great BTS footage of the duel starting at the 0:39 mark.

Note: This is an appreciation thread. I am aware of the criticisms of editing, being too over the top, too long, the spin, etc. If you are not fond of this duel, please try to find something (a shot, a move, etc.) that you can appreciate.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  2. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    This thread flopped harder than my Fish Fillet from McDonald's

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There's no wrong answer for "favorite part," but I really like this spot from the kick to the choke hold. It immediately follows Yoda getting blasted to hell by Sidious.

It is the peak of offensive, aggressive, flamboyant Vader vs. equally concise, effective, defensive Obi-Wan. Forward with reckless abandon vs. "bend, don't break."

Nick Gillard and George Lucas worked brilliantly together, and each understood these characters and the actors who portrayed them superbly.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Actually, it was mentioned by Lucas all the way back to 1977.

In any case, it was a legendary piece of lore that we got to witness being materialized and executed in such a spectacular fashion. It's not my favourite duel, but it's an epic sequence nonetheless.

5. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    Yes I remember reading in 77 or 78 about the volcano.

6. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  7. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Hah, and I was just rewatching the scene yesterday. But yes, definetly one of my favourites within the PT. (To be honest tho, every scenes where Obi exists are my favourites. [face_blush]:D[face_love])

[​IMG]

8. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Great thread topic. This was my favorite duel in the Star Wars saga. It just felt so intense both physically and emotionally. Physically, we see these two powerful warriors and Force users at their peak. The clash between them is titanic, and all the more so because we have seen them working together so flawlessly early on in the movie. Then there is the emotional turmoil of watching these two men who considered themselves to be best friends and brothers fighting to maim and kill. That is just heart-wrenching to me every time I see it. Definitely the stuff of tragedy for me right there. The setting with the lava and fire that can be seen as almost hellish also adds to that tone and atmosphere for me. We also physically see Anakin destroyed by the lava. That could cause nightmares.

The most haunting moment for me comes when in response to Anakin's cry of hate, Obi-Wan answers, "You were my brother, Anakin. I loved you."

It was just such a strong reflection on who Obi-Wan is that his answer to Anakin's hatred is a response of love, though a response of love that is set in the past tense, emphasizing that he truly believes his beloved brother to be dead. It also just moves me very much because I suspect this was the first and only time Obi-Wan explicitly said to Anakin that he loved him, and it happened after he was forced to cut Anakin down in such a way. I tear up every time I hear that line with Ewan's spectacular delivery.

9. Jedi Master Kenobiwan

Jedi Master Kenobiwan Force Ghost star 6

Oct 8, 2011
    Another thing is the soundtrack for that scene:

Just wow. :_|:_|=D==D=

10. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I love you. But I won't try to put you out as you're on fire. I'll just walk away. [face_tee_hee] Yes that scene is amazing and emotional. But also why Vader hates Obi Wan so much and why Obi wan can't bring him back like Luke did. Vader's mind was twisted and evil by this point.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  11. Tonyg

Tonyg Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2016
    Actually, @Deliveranze the duel is not more over the top as it intended to be and it has to be over the top on purpose. This duel (including the intersections of Yoda vs. Palpatine in the Senate) represents the ultimate crash of the old world , the world of the Republic both personally (in Mustafar) and politically (the destruction of the Senate) so is like the last dance of the Swan lake. For that purpose everythig in this duel fits in perfectily in the movie (so in a way this is my appreciation for the thread) :)

Prime Jedi and Deliveranze like this.
  12. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    pretty amazing and varied duel. i suppose maybe there could have been a section more slowed down like Vader and Luke on Bespin, but idk

13. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Amazing sequence. My second favorite sequence of the entire after the Luke/Vader/Emperor confrontation in Ep.6.

14. Oryx-I

Oryx-I Force Ghost star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    The duel itself is brilliant, but the context makes it pure legend. For my first watch of the movie, by the time Padmé was arguing with Anakin, I was already crushed emotionnaly. Then the first ever Force choke happened and I suddenly realized that every time Vader used it in the OT, it was a way to punish himself for what he did to his wife. I got so much chills from this. When the duel began, I was overwhelmed. The two hero sabers, blue against blue, were a brillant touch. It had so much more impact than a classical blue VS red duel would had. The entire fight gave me a cruel feeling of hope, hope that somehow they would stop at some point and make a truce. Every time I rewatch the scene, I can't help but root for a different outcome, especially when the lava rains on them and they have to take cover for a minute, so close from one another... The tragedy is that good.

When the Yoda/Sidious duel began and I understood what Lucas was going for with the ultimate double duel, I started to feel woried. Seriously, I feared that it was going to be too much epicness for me to sustain in one movie. The shot of the camera zooming out to reveal the entire senate as the actual arena of the duel left me shaking. But, the worst was when the movie cut back to the giant pole floating in lava with Anakin and Obi-wan still fighting in the distance, two bothers fighting like even the end of the universe wouldn't stop them from killing each-other. And on the soudtrack, the choir roared for the first time the full rendition of "Battle of the heroes"...
    For a minute, I thought my heart would not take it. I was going to die in a movie theater, just from the epicness of the ultimate Star wars movie. Well, I guess there are worst ways to die, I thought. But, still, I was annoyed by the idea that I wouldn't see Vader put in the suit... :p

The last 20 minutes of ROTS are still to this day the most incredible experience I've had in a movie theater. I can only hope that someday I'll run into something even stronger. But, yet, I kind of doubt it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    Kole, wobbits, Prime Jedi and 9 others like this.
  15. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    RotS is probably my most anticipated film of all time. The Hype for me was huge. I was fueled by the Dark Horse Clone Wars Comics, by the CN Clone Wars series and the Del Rey Clone Wars books. I was sooooo sooo hyped for thise movie and I already chocked up when the opening crawl rolled over the Screen.

I have not been so hyped for any of the ST movies but it was a different time, it was a different place and I was younger and on the Peak of my SW fandom (well I've never left this Peak).

The duel specificly for me was a life time experience. The whole movie was like a rollercoaster ride coming to the climax with that duel and we all knew we were driving right towards that climax. When Padme claimed "Anakin you're breaking my heart!" I chocked up bad. I was heartbroken too. When Obi-Wan showed himself on the Boarding ramp of Padmes ship the air was litteraly sucked out of the room. It was DEAD silent and nobody was breathing. The fight istelf is a masterpiece and I would have never thought that it could suprass my expectations. I wouldnt call it the best coeographed fight, that still is the duel of the fates for me. But ist so brutal, its so emotional because of the fighters involved, its complex and with multiple spots where it takes place very big. The ending is heartbreaking in itself when we see the Little kid, the Young man burning down to his bones while Obi-Wans heart is breaking.

I remember at the end of the movie, when the credits rolled, NOBODY stood. The room was dead silent expect for the Music. We all were shocked due to this epic emotional, complex movie we just saw.

16. Luna2112

Luna2112 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 22, 2016
    I remember seeing RotS on opening day in Imax (I even got to skip school for it!), and this dual was just epic on all levels; especially on that huge screen. Looking back, I can see how some thought it was too long, but I never thought so (still don't), but I really don't like how it's intercut with Yoda and Sidious's dual. I understand the reason Lucas did it but to me, it takes away from the flow and emotional impact when it's constantly interrupted; I actually think both duals suffer from this. It's like it cuts away right when I'm really getting into one or the other, and I feel like we miss a lot of both. My one real criticism with the dual itself is the segment where they're swinging on the cables while batting at each other, and then jump onto those small droids; even at 13, I thought that was too much to suspend disbelief and kind of silly.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2019
  17. Vault

Vault Jedi Master star 1

Jan 18, 2010
    Ewan McGregory and Hayden Christensen deserved awards for this battle sequence. I think Vader vs. Luke in ROTJ is still my favorite, but this one is the most emotional for sure. Christensen's acting was hit or miss for AOTC, but he absolutely killed it on all the Mustafar scenes. Dude can go when he has something to work with. And McGregor's talent as an actor really came through when Anakin was burning.

18. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    A somewhat humorous bit is when they’re fighting along the pipe, a droid flies in and looks at them like, ‘WTF is that?’ and zips off quickly. :p

19. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    One great thing about Star Wars for me is that those little moments or seconds of humor can work to lower the tension in scenes that might otherwise become unbearably tense for some audience members. That droid bit you're talking about always gets at least a flicker of a smile from me so I think it's well-timed in the movie.

20. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    That droid actually made me a bit nervous on first watch lol, because I didn't know who it was and what it was going to do...

21. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    The music is impeccably scored. John Williams was absolutely masterful with it, building the tension up with layers of symphony until it's this tower of pure energy. I doubt we'll ever see anything as epic in SW.

22. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    Criticizing any part of this fight is beyond me.its the greatest battle.my favorite part is „I have failed you Anakin.I have failed you.“

23. WayoftheJedi

WayoftheJedi Jedi Padawan star 2

Apr 12, 2019
    I agree .everything from Palpatine reveals himself to be a Sith Lord in Front of Anakin onwards to the very end blew me away and still does and forever will.

24. christophero30

May 18, 2017
    I really like the music when Anakin chokes Padme. it's heartbreaking. Obi Wan is looking at Anakin like he can't believe what he's seeing. This is the same guy that saved him twice earlier in the movie.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
    Prime Jedi and WayoftheJedi like this.
  25. Deliveranze

Nov 28, 2015
    The atmosphere is incredible too. There is such a sense of dread for our main and supporting characters that the entire galaxy isnt aware of. The conflict becomes personal when Coruscant citizens can be on their way while Obi-Wan and Anakin are gonna have a legendary battle that will change the course of the galaxy, and no one will know about it.