main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Vader's Legacy": by Abel & Joe (SWI #?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by arf_maul, Feb 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    No, that kinda misses the point of the essay. This is strictly an interpretive exercise. The language is precisely chosen, which is why I wrote "near-necessary" rather than "required." The obligation of proper conjecture falls to the reader.

2. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I admit, this one's been the backburner for me as well, but I did finally purchase it.

Right on.

You might get lucky and find one at your local B&N still, on the top racks of the magazine stands or even in the Star Wars section. Joe Corroney is also selling some extras at his website.

These days, I'm not so sure, at least not early in their Sith relationship. I think Karen Traviss did a terrific job of portraying Palpatine as twistedly paternal; you get the sense he *wants* Vader to be able to kill him. Of course, maybe Palp saw that as a challenge to motivate himself to make sure he figured out the secret of immortality. One of my favorite quotes about Palpatine is that "wheels within wheels within wheels was his way."

Thank you, CH. Your support's always appreciated.

Inspiration! We'll see if it works out....

Take care,
    Abel

3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    >No, that kinda misses the point of the essay. This is strictly an interpretive exercise. The language is precisely chosen, which is why I wrote "near-necessary" rather than "required." The obligation of proper conjecture falls to the reader.<

The author of that particular interpretive exercise has been known to write articles making what was previously conjecture official. From time to time. :p

TC

4. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    it seems Insider is out and spoilers are hitting the net already: go here www.njoe.com

mainpage news has lots of spoilers ;)

damn I want that mag now... and still weeks to wait until I get it here

5. Kast_Morben

Kast_Morben Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 18, 2001
    Awesome! I'm glad to have helped. :)

6. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    Will the Jedi prophecy be explained?

and maybe the Sith'ari connection?

7. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    Hey hey hey! Let's not forget who first raised the issue of including that sheild into canon! :p [face_mischief]

8. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Touche.

Remember the overriding theme of that essay is the "character" and attractiveness of ambiguity. Put another way, suggesting that the Mimban-Vader was a doppleganger would be just about the last thing on a long retcon list. And even then, it would never be more than a mere suggestion of the possibility that its a doppleganger. So in other words, that interpretive possibility already exists, and I've already made a case for it as strongly as I could. To make the suggestion of the possibility in an official text would merely highlight that such an interpretive possibility exists, but never make it definitive. (That would be the job of more literal-minded misinterpretationists).

Insider #87?

9. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Yes, 87.

I got it early this time, too. Seems that karma is making up for the fact that I got 86 three weeks late...

:p

10. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    There's a bit on this subject in the latest Last of the Jedi book (#4, Death on Naboo), if memory serves me correctly...it's not the least among many other painful "prods" Sidious maintains over and periodically inflicts upon Vader's psyche, per Karen's two "Lekauf" tales.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v448/EldoradoSteve/scarface4cj.gif]

11. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    I've missed you, Leto.

12. Leto II

Leto II Jedi Padawan star 6

Jan 23, 2000
    [face_devil] [face_mischief]

...I'm back, baby.

13. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    I'd love to see something on the ISD Garrett - the ISD Vader tools around in in Tie Fighter. Perhaps it's the same ISD we see him using in several recent issues of Empire?

14. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Probably to late to add, but we don't know if the way Luke "rebuild" Vader's retreat in "Before the Storm" mirrors the original lay-out and make-up of the castle.

I'll have to read Splinter and its comic-adaption again, but i would suggest to not use a darkside-doppelganger, but either another darkside-adept masking as Vader or a human replicoid droid as place-holders for the real Vader since the poor guy has a busy shedule and can only be at so many places at once.

15. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    >>>Probably to late to add, but we don't know if the way Luke "rebuild" Vader's retreat in "Before the Storm" mirrors the original lay-out and make-up of the castle. <<<

After all, he is The Joker... ;) [face_mischief]

I'm wondering if the tagline on this Insider will be "Cade and Abel", considering that we've got Vader's Legacy and an article about Legacy in the same issue... ;) :p

EDIT: And just for kicks, here's Vader's New Wings. I forsee that he will eventually become more tricked out than the other highly-accessorized Dark Knight, Batman... [face_peace]

16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Padme: "Whose motorcycle is this?"
    Vader: "It's a chopper, baby."
    Padme: "Whose chopper is this?"
    Vader: "Zev."
    Padme: "Who's Zev?"
    Vader: "Zev's dead, baby. Zev's dead."

Ain't it the truth.

Badeaux[?] has a beautifully creative style. I love the new creatures and designs he comes up with. His work feels fresh.

Mission accomplished!

Kidding... sort of. I was very happy with this book.

What do you think? So far, the Grievous endnotes have been tame, for lack of a better word. The continuity has mostly been constrained to the stuff immediately related to the character. The Lord of War coverage should be more similar in style to Droids and the Force... though I'm not sure I've ever pulled that many unrelated sources together before or will ever again.

Me too. :)

Heh heh.

The Baron does make a cameo.

Take care,
    Abel

17. WhillJedi

WhillJedi Jedi Youngling

Feb 1, 2006
    I'm glad that in your opinion Betrayal was a good read. Makes me even more anxious to get my hands on it... By the way, I know the article hasn't even been released yet, not to mention the web supplement, but are you by any chance planning a Vader's Legacy installment of endnotes? All your other ones have gotten positive feedback. And one more thing - are you planning to only touch on the similarities between Lumiya and Vader as cyborgs, or will you offer more insight into the nature of their Sith relationship (if you can tell us)? Thanks! :) [face_thinking]

18. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    It's a page late, but I was thinking about the Darth Vader as Force Doppleganger thing, and I've got to say I prefer the explanation that Obi-Wan literally took over Luke for the duration. Two reasons:

1) As Luke is leaving Dagobah in The Empire Strikes Back, Obi-Wan makes a big to do about not being able to help Luke if he fights Vader. He says, "If you choose to face Vader, you will do it alone. I cannot interfere." Interfere how? Do what? Luke seems to understand him. Ask most people and they'll tell you Obi-Wan was telling Luke he couldn't guid him or make him stronger. Thus, the implied addendum to Obi-Wan's line is: "It was a very different situation on Mimban." And of course it was, as here Luke is rushing off to fight Vader, whereas on Mimban he had no choice.
    2) Ben's last word's to Vader were, "Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you could possibly imagine." Of course, becoming a vague blue glowy thing capable of giving Luke advice isn't particularly powerful as far as a Sith is concerned. The look of horror that must have passed across Vader's face at realizing he was beaten once again by his master, the master he had killed not too long ago, beaten by his old master in the body of the boy that is probably his son wielding Anakin's lightsaber...I think it's a pretty good moment.

Ah well. That's my $0.02.

GrandMoffTrachta likes this.
  19. Queengodess

Queengodess Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    Ooooh! [face_dancing] [face_love] About time, too. Considering how well-known Anakin Skywalker was during the Clone Wars, it always confused/annoyed me that that was never really reflected in the EU (right, so the EU written before AOTC and ROTJ can't really be blamed for this, but, like rhonderoo said, DN was...argh... *pauses* *takes a deep breath* ...DN was less than satisfying. Yeah. Let's leave it at that.).

It's a pity getting hold of Insider is so hard here in Sweden. Still haven't managed to get my hands on the #85 and that short story, but I guess I will have to make an extra effort for this article.

20. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Time allowing, I'd love to.

Oh yeah, it definitely goes into their relationship, building on themes hinted at in the Emperor's Pawns.

21. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Sounds good, but does anyone else think that Obi-Wan basically possessing Luke's body to settle an old score with Anakin is a little....Sithly? The whole immortality thing is supposed to highlight the difference between Jedi and Sith (Jedi become one with the Force to gain power, the Sith want power during their lifetime) but a Force ghost taking over someone's body seems like a step in the wrong direction.

22. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    I don't think it was to settle a score, I think it was to keep Luke and his sister from dying at Vader's hands.

23. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    Well, fair enough, but it's not very Jedi of Obi-Wan to start possessing his apprentice, despite the danger he's in. Palpatine trying to take control of Anakin Solo's body was the epitome of evil, so Obi-Wan would be very naughty for trying it. Tut tut, baaad Jedi.

24. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    It's no different from Luke puppeteering Jacen in JAT... It's not like they planned to more than fight and leave. Palpodious planned to set up shop in Anakin Solo, not help him out in a duel.

25. saber_death

saber_death Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    i was just about to reply along these lines (good thing i kept reading). Luke takes over Jacen when Jacen's too young to fully realize what's happening, and when Luke's not even dead (but pretty close) so if anything this is far worse than truely dead Obi-Wan taking over adult (and presumably consenting, haven't ever read Splinter) Luke. i think short-term use of another's body, to protect that person and others, is a perfectly acceptable action on the part of a Jedi spirit (dead or otherwise), especially when the person in question is unable to defend his/her self against the threat.

once again this shows the difference between Sith/Dark Jedi and good Jedi isn't so much what powers they have or what they do, but how they do it, why and to what extent. like for instance, if Anakin Skywalker had taken Dooku's head off mid-duel, while both were still actively fighting, it would have been fine, even a good thing. killing him in cold blood after defeating him was pretty much a pure Dark Side act. same's true of Force possesion... quickly in the heat of battle to help another, by a generally good jedi, probably ok. permanently for one's own gain, not to save another/the one being possesed, really bad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.