main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Vader's Sanctum: A Starkiller/Jacob Nion Character Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lord_Redav, Oct 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord_Redav

Lord_Redav Jedi Master star 1

Apr 29, 2005
    I think it's high time that The Secret Apprentice gets some attention for his recent appearance in The Force Unleashed. I found Jacob to be an interesting character that died way too early but not without some impact, and that's not counting the dent on the first Death Star.

Anyway, this thread is dedicated to Starkiller, a discussion of his character, his hopes for redemption and the master-apprentice relationship he had with Darth Vader. Anyone who has heard of the character, please speak up because this is my first thread and I don't want it to just die.

2. Jedi_Perigrine

Jedi_Perigrine Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2008
    I'll nibble. I was just playing The Force Unleashed a couple of hours ago. Tons of fun. I didn't know the character's given name, though, where'd you find that?

I think it would be interesting to ponder Starkiller's training under Vader. I'm sure it's full of hardships and unnecessary pain to teach bloody lessons of anger and hatred.

Unfortunately I'm such a goody-two-shoes that I find evil characterization to be extremely difficult.

What I'd like to know is how the galaxy would be different if Vader hadn't found Starkiller and his father. What if he could have been raised by a light-side oriented, if impassioned single father. Would Luke Skywalker still be the premiere Jedi out there? Would the empire have been able to complete the Death Star? The Rebellion was definitely under-funded and under manned, especially compared to the juggernaut that is the Imperial Navy. But what if the Rebels had just one more powerful Jedi? Two, if you count his father...

Just my two credits :)

3. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    Starkiller was cool, but he didn't much like to fly out windows. I kept trying by bashing windows out with my lightsaber, but only droids flew out. Anyway, it made me very happy when i saw the cutscene where Vader stabs him and flings him out the window!!!

4. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    Ok; people flying out of windows into the vaccuum of space and surviving is my biggest complaint about the game (followed closely by the game being too short and completely linear). Temperatures near absolute zero+no atmospheric pressure=insta-death. You don't say "oh no, I'm getting sucked (technically, blown, I guess) into space! I'll just hold my breath!" You freeze, your blood boils, and a million other bad things will happen, things that my non-medical mind can't comprehend. All of them translate to a skull and crossbones in under three seconds. Sheesh. I bet the developers could have polled fifth graders and figured that one out. :D

5. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I [face_love] "Starkiller" / Galen Marek.

But who is Jacob Nion?

6. Rigil_Kent

Rigil_Kent Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 24, 2004
    They missed an opportunity, IMO, to tie Starkiller to the EU a little better than the starbird (which I found kinda goofy, myself). He & Juno really should have been the biological parents of Kyp Durron (thus explaining why Durron is ostensibly so powerful in regards to the Force)...

But that's just my opinion...

7. Jedi_Perigrine

Apr 22, 2008
    That's an interesting idea, Rigil. That would be an interesting twist! :D

I'd love to see a sequel to TFU, but...y'know...he's sorta dead. But they spat him into space, stabbed him with a lightsaber, and he still came back from the dead. Maybe he'll find a way to do it again. :D

8. GuNgAnFaN3090

GuNgAnFaN3090 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 16, 2008
    If they wanted to make another TFU, then maybe they would just give vader a new apprentice. It would be a whole new character instead of trying to bring starkiller back again.

Just a thought.

9. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Jacob Nion was the name given in a German edition of the novel, his real name is Galen Marek.

You may want to change the thread title, Redav.

10. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I have a little plot bunny developing with Starkiller, basically retelling the OT with him as Palpatine's apprentice instead of Vader. I have to develop it a bit more and make sure I have the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.