main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Valentine's Day Love Letter Challenge - Beyond the Saga winners announced!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Amidala_Skywalker, Feb 8, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001

[u][b][color=palevioletred]Valentine?s Day Love Letter Challenge[/u][/b][/color]

Welcome to the 2004 Valentine?s Day Love Letter (Writing) Challenge! :)

I?m [b][color=mediumvioletred]Amsie[/b][/color], your host for this challenge, and my two co-hosts are [b][color=palevioletred]LianaMara[/b][/color] and [b][color=palevioletred]JainaDurron[/b][/color]. They will be helping me judge once all the entries have been submitted. Also, I would like to thank [b][color=mediumvioletred]_Derisa_Ollamhin_[/b][/color] for suggesting this idea.

I have pasted all the details below. If you have any questions, please post them in this thread. I?d just like to note that if you don?t follow the challenge guidelines, your entry will be disqualified ? so please read carefully!

[u][b][color=crimson]Challenge Description:[/u][/b][/color]

Write a love letter written to someone or a story about a love letter. The word limit is 2000 words and your story must be one-post. There are three timeframe categories you can enter, but you are only allowed one entry per category. The categories are as follows:

[blockquote][color=lightcoral]- Before the Saga ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/Before_the_Saga/b10475/14850998/?0]anthology thread[/link])[/color]
    [color=indianred]- The Saga ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=14851007&replies=0]anthology thread[/link])[/color]
    [color=lightcoral]- Beyond the Saga ([link=http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=14851011&replies=0]anthology thread[/link])[/color][/blockquote]

You will also notice that I have posted links to anthology threads in brackets. For your story to qualify, you must post it in one of those threads (depending on the timeframe category you are entering). If we do not find your story in those threads, we will not be able to judge your entry.

Just to clarify about the categories, I?ve posted some examples below. Remember, they are timeframe/era categories. It doesn?t matter whether you?re writing about a canon character or an OC, you have to decide in which era your story will be set.

[blockquote]Example 1:

[color=lightcoral][i]I have written a story about a love letter which involves two main OCs fighting in the Sith War. In which anthology thread would my story go?[/i][/color]

[color=indianred][b]Because your story?s events are before ?the Saga? (the movies), you story should go in the Before the Saga anthology thread. Please post it there (along with the title, rating, etc).[/b][/color]

Example 2:

[color=lightcoral][i]I have written a story about a love letter written by Obi-Wan to one of Amidala?s handmaidens in EP3. In which anthology thread would my story go?[/i][/color]

[color=indianred][b]Your story is during ?the Saga? (the movies), which means that it belongs in The Saga anthology.[/b][/color]

Example 3:

[color=lightcoral][i]I have written a story about a collection of love letters exchanged between Jaina Solo and an OC during the NJO. In which anthology thread would my story go?[/i][/color]

[color=indianred][b]Your story is set after ?the Saga? (the movies) and during the NJO, which is classified as EU, so it belongs in the Beyond the Saga anthology thread.[/b][/color]

Example 4:

[color=lightcoral][i]I have written a story that crosses timelines. The story involves OCs that wrote love letters to each other 10 years before TPM all the way through to the Clone Wars. In which anthology thread would my story go?[/i][/color]

[color=indianred][b]Where is the bulk of your story set? Is the love letter sent 10 years before TPM the largest exchange? If so, then you should post your story in the Before the Saga anthology thread. If the largest love letter is sent during the Clone Wars, then your story belongs in the Saga anthology thread.[/b][/color][/blockquote]

[u][b][color=crimson]Dates:[/u][/b][/color]

Challenge commences: 8th February.
    Challenge ends: 15th February, midnight (board time).

[u][b][color=crimson]Judging Criteria:[/u][/b][/color]

[b][color=lightc

2. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    I'll definitely have to do this. ;) I love writing letters.

By the way, nice job on finding all the pinky/pinkish colors. :D :p

[edit] On second thought, I do have a question. :p If I wanted to, at some later date, could I repost the story in it's own thread? :p

3. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Yes, you can.

And thank you :). Here I was hoping that I had covered all my bases info-wise and you find a question :p ;).

Am [face_love]

4. _across-the-stars_

_across-the-stars_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2003
    Am, are we allowed to comment on stories in the respective challenge threads, or post comments here? Or, God forbid, not comment at all...?

5. Happy_Hobbit_Padawan

Happy_Hobbit_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Can you clarify what you mean by 'a story about a love letter'? Do you mean like someone reading one and reacting to it? :confused:

6. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Across-the-stars, I wish I had thought of story replies sooner ;). You can comment on the stories in the respective anthology threads. I?ll re-word my initial post in all the threads.

HHP, yes, that?s what I mean. It just has to be a story where the plot revolves around a love letter ? someone could be reading and reacting to it, someone could be writing it, someone could be delivering it, someone could be burning it, etc.

Am [face_love]

7. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Oooh, i love this idea. now, deciding who Obi-Wan will write a love letter too. that's hard. or jag and jaina.

~aeryn

8. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Can it be something that I've already written but maybe needs something added to it, but has not been posted in the fan fiction boards.

the reason I ask is because i've done a very quick letter in the Obi-wan fan club, that I've been wanting to add/delete ,rewrite kind of things to and this might be the best time to do it.

9. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Edit: Nevermind

10. JediAlly

JediAlly Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2000
    To whom do we send the submissions?

11. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I think I'll enter this one too! Okeydokey, now just need inspiration.

12. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I think I'm going to try my hand at something different with this challenge. Namely: Before the Saga. ;)

Jae Angel

13. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Amsie

I already write a "Love Letter" Obidala series.

Can I enter a part of the series written especially just for this Challenge?

Please let me know.

Thank you
    Lady-Kenobi

14. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    Can you enter more than one letter or story in the same category?

15. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    CrystalKenobi, Lady-Kenobi, yes, you can enter something that you have already written, but the rule is that it mustn?t have already been posted on the boards (we?re trying to encourage new work). Remember, it must also accord to all the guidelines (word limit, etc).

JediAlly, you don?t send the submissions to anyone. Your entry (or entries) should be posted on its respective anthology thread. We?ll (the judges) be keeping an eye on those topics. This means that we?ll have all the stories in three places and organised. When you do post your story, please give the title, main characters, timeframe, rating etc.

Stacy, here?s a quote from my initial post: There are three timeframe categories you can enter, but you are only allowed one entry per category [addendum: per person]. Does that answer your question? :)

Am [face_love]

16. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    the rule is that it mustn?t have already been posted on the boards

Thanks, that answer's my question, my little letter (from several months ago) is on the Obi-wan fan club board, so its back to the drawing board for me. :)

17. Lady-Kenobi

Lady-Kenobi Jedi Master star 3

Mar 5, 2003
    Amsie

This would be created ESPECIALLY for the Challenge.

I was thinking of a Valentine's Day "Love Letter" to write and then I saw your Challenge.

So my entry will be fresh and new. Not posted and old.

THANK YOU for letting Obidala authors in your Challenge!

Lady-Kenobi

18. Bellyup

Bellyup Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 29, 2002
    Thanks a lot Ams, Jilly and Liana for taking the time to organize something fun like this. It keeps us authors hopping on our toes! :D

19. Darth_Tim

Darth_Tim Jedi Master star 4

Feb 26, 2002
    Challenge Description:

Write a love letter written to someone

"Dear Tyra Banks..."

Oh, wait, you mean in a fanfic context...

:D

-Tim

20. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Before I write multiples for this challenge (because I've already got three thoughts that look like they could go somewhere very interesting) I gotta ask some questions, partly because we are limited to one per era and partly because I really should learn to control myself.

So first question: Would a story with the love letter (or letters) in one time period but the person/people involved with reading it/reacting to it in another be counted in the love letter period or in the timeframe of the person/people reading it or could it go either way depending on how much of the story was the letter vs the people reading it? Uh, to simplify with an example. If the love letter was from one of the first Jedi to exist to a person who helped create the Old Republic but was being read centuries later by Luke and Mara's youngest child would it be Before or Beyond or would it depend on how much of the verbiage was the letter vs the reader's reaction? I'm thinking the last option but I thought I would check.

And does Beyond the Saga start the nanosecond after the end credits of RotJ or is there some later point that is usually identified as the split?

Third question: Is there an official definition of Vignette here? I mean, can I get away with more than one scene or does it all have to take place on one set in one continuous period of time? Oh, wait I see I think. It's one post and a word limit. Not necessarily a true vignette then?

KD

21. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Hmm, I think I'll have fun with this one. :)

22. JainaSticksSolo19

JainaSticksSolo19 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 31, 2003
    Ok I think I'll try this.

I have a question:

Can it be a Songfic? cause i started one and i can rewrite some of it.

23. Amidala_Skywalker

Jul 4, 2001
    Lady-Kenobi, I thought that was the case, but I wanted to mention that rule just so I wasn?t asked about it in the coming days. As for Obidala, everything is welcome here. This is a writing competition, after all ;).

Bellyup, thanks :).

LOL, Tim.

K_D, you?re really keeping me on my toes, aren?t you? :D Okay, *pulls up sleeves*.

Now, as I said in example 4, it depends on where the bulk of your story happens (i.e. is most of your text concerning the writer or the reader?) If worse comes to worse, divide your story into the two time periods, then run the ?word count? function in MS Word. The section with the most amount of writing is the main time period. Here?s a hypothetical - if the Saga was your ?main period?, then you would post your story in the Saga?s anthology thread. Do you get what I mean? If not, don?t hesitate to tell me.

Yes, Beyond the Saga occurs straight after ROTJ?s ending credits.

You?re right. It?s not necessarily a ?true? vignette. It?s one post ? in that post you could have as many scenes as you like. However, just keep below the word limit and you?ll be fine.

JainaSticksSolo, yes, it can be a song-fic. However, the lyrics to the song will be included in your word limit.

To repeat, I?m happy to answer any questions or even repeat/clarify an answer I?ve already given.

Am [face_love]

24. darth_jurious

darth_jurious Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2003
    Hmm... I haven't really been very involved in contests so far on the boards, so I might give this one a shot - just wondering, and this may sound weird, but can this love letter be from someone remaining anonymous? I'd explain why, but it'd take forever... ;) And - I don't think this has been asked yet - but is AU fine, too?

Thanks,
    ~Jurious

25. JainaSticksSolo19

JainaSticksSolo19 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Mar 31, 2003
    Ok, thank you!
    back to writing!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.