main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive Valie's FanArt : Jacen learns... slowly

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Valie, Apr 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Valie

Valie Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 4, 2005
    Well thanks to you FF and that fantastic tutorial you had, I was finally able to grasp the whole hair thing! (though I admit I can still be more bold with shading, my nemesis)

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/CC400000.jpg]

2. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh heavens--I have a "follower?"
    **scratches head in bewilderment** Do you need directions somewhere, little one...? :p ;) I could recommend a dozen or more other artists you should follow instead! ;)

This is a wonderful portrait, Valie--I love the eyes: they really grab you at first glance. And the hair looks great, too--nice strands and "feathering" in the style and shape. I agree that a bit more agressive shading would give it more depth, but you've definitely got the idea for sure--and I couldn't be happier that the tutorial helped! I'm going to give you a link here, regarding the general proportions of the male head--I think this will help you with determining the proper height of the head above the eyes (Jacen looks just a bit "short" above the eyes here--not a lot, but take a look at the ref. guide and do a quick comparison and I think you'll see what I mean). I love the shading you've done here, too--it could be darker, like we both said, but the smoothness of it is lovely. A wonderful study--and keep on drawing Jace--I love to see your depictions of him! ;)

FF

3. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Yeah I see what you mean now. I'm printing that out too and keeping it by my drawing table. You're a reservoir of knowledge! I guess it's just the way you explain things. It makes sense. Did you subscribe to that Female Anatomy site?

4. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    **gags on Coca-Cola after reading Valie's response**

ROTFL!! Yeah...I love that art site, for all the information and guides and free advice/help it can provide--but that big ad at the top of every page always makes me wonder about that!! And no, I don't subscribe to it! I prefer to schlep through the search engines for images to use for references (or to peruse catalogs and magazines, which actually provide me with most of my "models!")! And btw, I'm glad the suggestion helps--like I've said before, I usually keep those same types of guides/references nearby for when I'm "inventing" too--they can be very useful! Can't wait to see your next piece! :D

FF

5. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    **passes napkin to FF **

You're right. I have found that the mags help. Especially the European ones! They're not so modest about the body so lots of great shots. The male body is still a mystery to me, but I'm getting there.

This one was inspired after reading "I, Jaina" a fanfic by YodaKenobi. If you haven't read it, you are missing out.

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/CC800000.jpg]

6. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Cool! =D= Also read the story.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice Jacen and Jaina portraits. You can definitely see Han and Leia in each of them respectively. Nice job! :)

Just a bit of some criticism - Jaina's forehead and top of the skull appears to be a tad bit too small. You may try to make the shape of the head more of an oval instead of a circle. It will help to expand it vertically and it'll give the person more "head" so to speak. ;)

8. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oh beautiful! The Jacen looks like it was referenced to the "Essential Guide to Characters" drawing, but with a different expression on his face: excellent scowl there (very much like his father's, just as HS29 pointed out!), and very good job with the hair and the shading. I agree with Han about the space between Jaina's eyes and the top of her head--the same basic proportions apply for women's heads as for men's, so the reference guide I left for you last time would be a good "gouge" here too. Again, wonderful expression on her face--very intense. A wonderful dual portrait, Valie!

FF

9. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Thanks! Yippers, I see that now. I'm working on another Jaina (though you all know I tend to do Jacen more [face_love] )

It does? Which Essential Guide? The new one? I've only seen one pic from there of Jacen and TK together, but I think it was when they were teens. I actually got that pose for Jacen from a pic of Stuart Townsend (who I think would be an excellent Jacen if they ever did films or tv, hint, hint GL) then I matched it to Han's expression.

Now I draw Jacen's eyes more like his mothers since they mentioned that in Swarm War. Ok, constructive criticism noted and back to my drawing board. :D

Here's some new ones. Both WIP and a final of Anakin Solo. CC welcome as always.

WIP Tahiri (I can see now I'm going to have to redo Tahiri's eyes, I used a model from a clothing catalog)

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/b7ffc6c2.jpg]

WIP Jacen

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/5b0faa58.jpg]

Anakin Solo

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/b16442d7.jpg]

10. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    New stuff from Valie! Kewl!

I think Tahiri's eyes are quite lovely, actually--you might want to slightly "round off" her chin, though. Women's chins rarely come to a point, even with a definitively "heart shaped" face--there's usually a roundness just under the mouth. Take a look at the chin of the "catalog model" you used for the eyes and I think you'll see what I'm talking about. Take a look, too, at the deepest point of the part in her hair--picture that as her skull--I think you've made the upper part of her head (above the eyes) a bit "short" or flat. If you were to "flatten out" the lift of the hair there, it would help, but I believe that clearly defining the shape of the head before you add the hair will help you correct this effect (see HanSolo29's suggestion in her previous reply about using an oval for the head). I love the way you've drawn her hair--the strands and the little curl that swings in over her face--lovely! Her tunic looks very authentic, too.

Jacen looks great--very good proportions and pose. And I especially like Anakin--it's a very "brash" posture, which I could so imagine him in! I can almost see him looking over his shoulder at his older brother, or perhaps even Luke, with that sort of "sideways" glance--wonderful!

Nice work!

FF

11. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    I'm fixing that one now. When I looked at the picture of the model again, I saw where I went wrong. [face_blush]

He is a brash little bugger isn't he. I always liked Anakin. He reminded me so much of Han.

Okay, here's my latest offering of Tenel Ka. I think I've fixed that chin problem. :D

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Pencil/e6622b83.jpg]

12. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Wow!!
    =D=

What a beautiful portrait of TK!! I think you've "worked out" the facial proportions thing with this one, Valie--this is amazing! The shading here is gorgeous--under her chin, around her jawline and along her hairline (a place that's often neglected, and really adds a lot of dimension to the forehead and cheeks). Her facial expression is wonderful, and very regal--I sort of imagine her sitting in audience here, stoically listening to her nobles "whine!" Poor TK... I really like the sweep of her brows here--that sort of angular "arch" is great, and really suits her. This is a wonderful drawing--well, well done!

=D=

FF

13. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That is a fantastic drawing of TK. Beautiful work.=D=

AG88

14. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Yippee! That one was weird, it felt like someone was whispering in my ear when I was drawing it! Creepy... (shudder)

Glad you all liked it. Ok here's one I was going to do for the FanArt challenge, but I forgot that I was supposed to be drawing myself and I didn't add the cool Foxy Brown afro I was going to do. I may go back and redo the hair (think I have til the 31st) Anyway, here's Mara!

Mara Jade: lineart

Mara Jade Final

15. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Awesome job on Mara! The rendering is very precise and the coloring is really well done. She reminds me of an actress I know, but I can't put my finger on it. Did you use someone as the reference? :p

And I also had to comment on Tenel Ka - simply beautiful! :)

16. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    What a great rendering of Mara, Valie!! Great work on this one: very clean, both in the linework (really loving the expression and the strand of hair blowing across her face--kewl!) and the coloring. You're really coming into your own here, aren't you? :D I can see such a dramatic leap in your skills with each piece you put up these days--it's so cool! :cool:=D= Another wonderful version of our beloved Mara--well, well done!

FF

17. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    Wow, that's Mara how we all know her. Excellent drawing! =D=

18. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Thanks! I actually used the image from "The Last Command" comic. The pencil artist Edvin Biukovic. I think he is amazing! After I drew her I thought she reminded me of someone too, but I can't figure it out. :D And Tenel Ka, sigh. What is there to say. Except that there should be more "official" drawings of her. (cough, cough, hint, hint)

I did have fun doing Mara. I've always loved her as a character even when she gets on my nerves. Since the inking came out so clean before I put it in photoshop, I'm going to copy another and color it with my manga markers. I want to see if I can get that same effect with the lightsaber. (fingers crossed)

Thank you, glad you enjoyed it!

Okay, here is something I was doodling with (in my never-ending belief that Stuart Townsend would make an excellent older Jacen). I drew this to go with one of my fanfics called "The Night". First I sketched Jacen, then used a really great photo of Jessica Biel to do TK. Then I just added some backgrounds in photoshop. I'm really not a big fan of photo manips, but it definitely worked for this. Enjoy! (I have to stop writing so I can get back to drawing) [face_peace]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/Color/bc70b039.jpg]

19. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Now...what "Night" could you possibly be referring to...? ;) :D :p

I really like this actually--the drawings in with the photo background lends a nice effect. And the little gazebo on the lake is very much like I imagined where TK "made her request" so to speak! Lovely! I'm going to have to look up Stuart Townsend...he looks great! :D

Very nice!

FF

20. Lippy

Lippy Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 14, 2004
    Hey Luv...

Was very impressed with your Tenel-Ka so heres a lil something i put together...Hope you like it!

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/Lipstress/tenal-k.jpg]

21. FalconFan

Jul 25, 2004
    Oooooo!! Look at your TK now, Valie!! :D

Lippy, you're really going to have to start a thread of your own! Your talent is wonderful, and I'm sure you'd get lots of "ooo"s and "aaaahhh"s for your own efforts if you did--not to mention other artists/requesters coming to you to ask for coloring. This looks so pretty this way! Beautiful--both of you! :D

FF

22. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    Holy pantyhose, batman! I know, right? Start your thread girl. I hadn't even checked in a while since I was hurling my guts out from sickness.
    That is AMAZING! It's funny, I kind of set myself up for disappointment when I do the pencil/ graphite drawings, because I'm petrified to colour them afterwards [face_worried] Well done! You can do all my drawings that you feel the urge to.

Okay here's my latest manga-style drawing to go in my new J/TK artblog, This Kiss. The link is in my sig so check it out. [face_dancing]

[image=http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/jedi_valie/abdf97b3.png]

23. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    Wonderful work on your latest drawings. I love Mara Jade. You really did a fantastic job with her. I also loved your coverart. Great job!

AG88

24. angel_gidget

angel_gidget Jedi Master star 1

Apr 16, 2004
    I'm a little ticked off right now. It would've taken 4 little words. Just 4...I. draw. J/TK. art. That's it! That's all! And I would have come running 100times faster! Better late than never I guess...

Wow. I think the best thing about your art is that it keeps getting better and better. I can see how you learn more about drawing and rendering and you progress and the beauty of your work increases. Love the signature. Love everything actually. And gotta love that art blog!

25. Valie

Apr 4, 2005
    ROFLMAO! [face_laugh] Oh dear! I'm properly chastised. He he... I do try and draw the others (get lucky sometimes) but it's hard when they are my fave, so I know where you're coming from on that. I wish I could get Ben as good as you do! Have to work on that next. I'll likely never get J/TK out of my system. There's just something about them. [face_thinking]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.