main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Vanity Fair's The Rise of Skywalker issue \/ What will it reveal? And so on

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Huyck, May 19, 2019.

1. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017
    Agreed! I haven't been wowed since the Nexu.

The-Clone-Wars likes this.
  2. Mila Lazarus

Mila Lazarus Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 29, 2018
    I find the pictures awesome. I’m more and more puzzled by the absence of masked Kylo from the marketing photos and videos though. I’m beginning to seriously consider that when the mask eventually appears, someone else will be wearing it...

I couldn’t read all the articles from VF :( but what I’ve read reinforced my theory that Rey and Kylo are Force siblings.

I was very surprised to read that Kylo was fighting the KoR in the trailer, and relieved to learn it was a mistake because it didn’t make any sense. The man that Kylo kills in the trailer doesn’t wear a KoR helmet. I wonder if they couldn’t have inadvertently spoiled that Kylo will really fight the KoR at some point, but not in this scene! A girl can dream.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
    The Legions of Lettow likes this.
  3. Othini

Othini Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 6, 2012
    There are a lot to like here. And the Vanity Fair thing is mostly a visual thing. The article is actually a bit boring and gives little away. The American myth about Lucas and Star Wars, i have heard that over and over. Same with JJ and his practical shooting. Its nice. But little new.

The VF shoot is also mostly staged and about getting behind the scene - or a glimpse of it.
    They have always been. The best shot, that of Darth Maul fighting Obi Wan in the desert, did not even happen.

The most important thing with the whole VT shoot is:
    Its great marketing.

The best thing about it is:
    Everything we dont get! ( but we know is coming soon).

4. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid Force Ghost star 6

Mar 13, 2014
    I hear you on that. Still there is the company line on how Kylo feels the story went and there is the company line for how everyone else sees the story.

That could be the case. Is it possible it's the same ship with an updated model for it's larger role? So it's not actually the same visually, but in movie it's meant to be the same. Also a long time has passed. Maybe it was upgraded in universe.

5. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Wow incredible stuff - I'm more pumped now for TROS than I was before !

6. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    It has to be deliberate.
    It certainly isn't merely a case of them forgetting to write in a place for him.

Something's up.

7. jedi_jra

jedi_jra Jedi Master star 1

Feb 2, 2011
    Vanity Fair reveals that Kylo is in fact fighting (and killing?) The Knights of Wren in the teaser trailer. They have since retracted that part of the article. My guess is the movie opens with Kylo and the Knights together and when Palpatine comes onto the scene, he orders Kylo to kill them all in a test of loyalty.

And Luke? My crazy theory based on the new photo. Rise of Skywalker is Luke returning from the place where Jedi Souls/Spirits reside to stop Palpatine who has done the same. Possibly resembling the ethereal world of Mortis from the Clone Wars. This is in fact the "Rise of Skywalker" as Luke being the only Jedi who has successfully learned to return.

whostheBossk likes this.
  8. ProfessorNutbudder

ProfessorNutbudder Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 1, 2003
    Yeah, ever since that Obi Wan/Maul pic, I take nothing more than what characters will look like from the VF articles. They are nice to look at though.

All_Powerful_Jedi likes this.
  9. Darth Corydon

Darth Corydon Jedi Master star 4

Aug 4, 2018
    oh yes its totally throwing them under the bus Grow up. * Eye Roll* I remember when people were thinking that Jason Todd or Damian Wayne threw batman 's legacy under the bus . Because they were entitled , Violent , Emo, Killed while the other members of the bat family didnt . Damian Espically is comparable to Ben solo as He's got just as big of expectation as Ben solo does due to Damian being an Al Ghul and a Wayne . Damian is entitled but nothing he does takes away from the Good batman does . Same that Nothing Kylo Ren does takes away from the Good his parents and uncle did.

AND GUESS what when we finally see what happened to make Damian the way he is. it makes perfect sense . His mother was hard on him like her father was to her. He went through the year of Blood (where he killed the league of shadows enemies ) when he was six.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

wait for some Back story Before you complete say it throws said parent under the bus

and living up to family legacy is hard especially if you have someone like snoke or in Damian's case his mother & grandfather whispering in their ear and increasing their self doubt and resentment .

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Damian becoming Batman
    [​IMG]

Ben becoming a great Jedi like his uncle , Royalty or a senator like his Grandmother and mother a Smugger like his father

A DARKSIDER/Sith LIKE HIS GRANDFATHER the new Vader
    [​IMG]

10. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    Holy crap, putting Kylo next to the likes of Damian Wayne doesn't make me like him more. I'm not sure which character is more of a poopstain on the legacy of their parents, I just know both of them annoy the living hell out of me, and the less characters that are whiny, entitled little brats like them, the better.

No amount of "sympathetic backstory" can save a character when you make them absolutely insufferable a-holes.

AusStig, wobbits, JediAce1 and 5 others like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yes, if the story indicates that Kylo became the way he is because Han or Leia did not parent correctly and if only they had Done Something Different, Kylo would not have had so many Big Feelings...that absolutely is throwing them under the bus.

And I have definitely grown up...on the original trilogy. ;) I’m old enough to have seen it in theaters.

12. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I don’t begrudge Driver trying to conceive of some broad personality and motivational background for his character - particularly if he isn’t being given some major catalyst action explaining the character 8n th3 first two films... or if this *is* the story he’s been given.

But we also need to admit this is *not* a protagonist’s background, at least not for a good one the audience is supposed to consistently empathize with or cheer for, especially when foiled against Rey and Finn (and even Rose)... unless they’ve made a grievous error, or are simply gambling that Driver + the Skywalker Legacy can make that work.

I’ve got faith that they can’t be that tone deaf, but I’m not going to pretend that certainty exists because it has been thrown into doubt by stuff from TLJ.

Fun fact I investigated as a teacher: YouTube videos are the only social media type proven to actually have positive mental health effects, compared to others mostly having some amount of negative impact... and the comments are the opposite.

*Right now,* I’d actually consider that insulting to Damian and a bad foil for Kylo. Damian was legitimately raised by an evil parent deliberately curtailing his moral code and trying to raise him to think like a bloody-handed conqueror... and then, upon being exposed to a more righteous and emphatic moral code at the ripe age of ten, gravitated towards it and began to atone on the moral level, and is still a strongly emphatic individual even while still struggling with his childhood habits.

Right now, Damian’s closer to Finn than Kylo; he’s basically someone who showcases the amount of violent tendencies and occasional angst some people have complained Finn doesn’t display enough, but they’re both child weapons who rebelled against their childhood authorities.

And beyond that, most of the reason for Damian’s state was immediately apparent in his first appearance: he was raised by supervillain Talia Al Ghul, and even more than that, a Grant Morrison type of supervillain Talia Al Ghul, where the nuance disappears and the evil becomes exaggerated. That’s more like Hux than Kylo, where you can see how a kid raised by a horrible person with horrible goals becomes horrible. The fact that Damian re-aligns to his father’s moral side quickly upon exposure just makes the comparison worse for Kylo: Damian only needed to know his father for a few days and he “saw the light,” while Kylo is terrified of being “tempted by the light” even though he was raised in it,

Again, I really, really want there to be more of Kylo’s fall. But it has to be acknowledged that the character’s utility and sympathetic construction is hampered by his context. Either he has some kind of grievous, Snoke-centered abuse in his background that damages his agency enough to make him more sympathetic at the cost of his capabilities as a character in the ST, or on some level he really is just a turd.

13. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    u have no soul if u don't like Damian when he's with Jon Kent

I don't think they can do anything to make u like him at this point

14. Def Trooper

Def Trooper Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 6, 2019
    I've heard he's gotten better over time, but I've had little interest in him after his introduction. He had perhaps the worst first impression I've ever had of a fictional character. Simply thinking of him these past few minutes has brought my blood to a boil. I've never wanted to dropkick a child into the next century until I saw Damian Wayne.

15. Ricardo Funes

Ricardo Funes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 18, 2015
    No, they fixed this information later on. It is on their page (https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywoo...knights-of-ren-make-their-long-awaited-return) at the bottom of the article:

Correction: An earlier version of this article mischaracterized a scene including Kylo Ren and the Knights of Ren.

16. indydefense

indydefense Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 2, 2019
    Not necessarily. There are certain types of people (and romantic pairings) that are simply not cut out to be parents, not matter how hard they try. In the case of Star Wars, Han is a hustler and Leia is a career woman. There's lost of sparks between them, but combinations of personalities like that don't tend to do well in the long term. Yeah it's a deconstruction, but I'm totally fine with that.

17. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I am a proud member of the “I don’t like Kylo Ren” fan club.

18. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I think that's Kylo Ren's opinion. Look at how good Han and Leia both are with Rey. Look at Han when he confronts Ben Solo in TFA. I think something else happened.

19. Miles Lodson

Miles Lodson Chosen One star 4

Jul 10, 1998
    I’m not. It does not make Kylo Ren any more sympathetic, and it does a disservice to Han and Leia’s characters.

20. Darth Corydon

Aug 4, 2018
    he has gotten better Jon Kent really tempers him.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I’m not OK with it either. And if Disney/LFL is putting forth the idea, in 2019, that career women cannot be good mothers...there are no words. [face_plain] I doubt they would be that sexist and tone deaf though,

Plus Han was not a “hustler” by ROTJ.

22. ForceGhostPrincessLeia

ForceGhostPrincessLeia Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 22, 2018
    It's been implied that something big definitely happened to cause them to send Ben with Luke, and to cause Han to leave. Leia says something to the effect of "That's when I lost you both." Han says something about them both having to deal with "it" in their own ways (him racing, her politics).

23. Jedi_Sith_Smuggler_Droid

Mar 13, 2014
    I think they are two separate events. The lost them both is Ben destroying the Jedi Temple and killing everyone there. Leia lost Ben, because he's a murdering Dark Side Force user named Kylo Ren. Leia lost Han because Han felt so ashamed and guilty for what happened with his son he just had to go off and do his own thing. Other than Chewie no one Han interacted with probably knew Kylo Ren was his son. The pain was so great in Han, and seeing Leia only made it worse.

I don't think we know yet what caused Leia to send Ben to Luke. My guess is Ben was already working with Snoke and knew exactly what to tell Leia so he'd be sent to Luke's Jedi Temple under the right circumstance to cover what else was going on.

24. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    im a proud member of the I love kylo fan club bc he had more story, backstory, and character traits in episode 7 than vader did in the entire OT.

to keep it vanity fair, here are mroe images of kylo with no mask, which leads me to believe thats not him fixing the mask in the trailer

Darth Dookacas and Demon4x4 like this.
  25. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Yes, I've brought up the idea for years that the conversation in TFA could be recontextualized for a death in the family. In Media Res is where you start in the middle of something and then later on fill in the blanks or explain things. My issue at this point is I think they've waited too long to make good use of some of this stuff since it won't matter on screen for long like the Leia twist at the end of ROTJ.

HAN: There's nothing more we could have done. There's too much Vader in him.
    LEIA: That's why I wanted him to train with Luke. I just never should have sent him away. That's when I lost him. That's when I lost you both.
    HAN: We both had to deal with it in our own way. I went back to the only thing I was ever any good at.
    LEIA: We both did.