main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit "Vector Prime" Trailer w/ Mark Hamill Remastered

Discussion in 'Literature' started by xezene, Sep 6, 2020.

1. Bia Surik

Bia Surik Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2020
    Thanks for this video remastered! The New Jedi Order to me it's better than ST bc was creative: not the Sith/Empire like menace again, but a specie outside of galaxy. For me, that don't destroy the legacy of OT characters and it's only sequence possible to ROTJ. Anything with the Sith/Empire again like ST (Ren/First Order) in short time and not after a good time not related with the Skywalker saga anymore, it's redundant.

Slater, xezene, CampOfSorgan and 2 others like this.
  2. A8T

A8T Jedi Master star 2

Jun 9, 2014
    So does this make Vector Prime now canon? :p

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  3. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    It was back in 99.

xezene likes this.
  4. xezene

xezene Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Hey everyone -- reviving this thread a little bit, I have a little update to share which is kind of neat, and then something new to share. So, I guess Mark Hamill was linked the remaster that I put together for the Vector Prime commercial, and the person asked if he remembered doing the voice-over for it. Mark liked the tweet with the linked video, and responded, "Wow. I have no memory of doing this at all. It's like seeing it for the first time. Thanks for posting, Ackbarfan." Suffice to say I was pretty stoked to see that he saw the remaster and then responded favorably! And it is also interesting to note that it's something that, over two decades later, he had no memory of doing; I'm sure it was a very quick recording session.

On another note, back on the first page I had linked a very low-resolution image of the promo for Vector Prime. I have since come into possession of some magazines from the era in good quality, and have scanned that promo in ultra high-resolution. This promo appeared in Sci-Fi Magazine and Star Wars Insider back in 1999, and it was released in tandem with the commercial. It may also have been printed as a poster at the time. Here is my scan of it, enjoy:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 4, 2023
  5. AvarandElzarsittininatree

AvarandElzarsittininatree Jedi Master star 4

Nov 13, 2021
    Yeah not surprising he didn't remember it. The commercial is only about thirty seconds long and he probably didn't even leave his house in order to record it

6. HMTE

HMTE Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 7, 2021
    Something like this makes me wonder how much of the EU the actors are familiar with. I remember reading somewhere that Hamill wasn't familiar with Darth Bane when he was approached to voice the character on Clone Wars.

Which makes sense. These are very busy people and there's more to their lives and careers than Star Wars. But I wonder if there is any curiosity about the material outside of the films on their parts.

Nom von Anor likes this.
  7. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    In many instances actors will invest themselves into franchise related works if it is related to a gig they are currently getting paid for. But just like anyone else when they are doing something during their own free time they will focus on an activity they personally enjoy.

HMTE likes this.
  8. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    I did see a video recently of Carrie at some convention and when asked if she had read any of the books with Leia she said no but asked what happens to Leia, and the guy said she married Han and they had kids together, which prompted Carrie to ask if they were well-behaved and when he said no she said something like “sounds about right”.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Hahahahahhahaha. That's funny

AusStig, Noash_Retrac and xezene like this.
  10. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Ah, here it is. The quote is "that sounds like it'd be my kids" hearing they're not well-behaved.

AusStig, Noash_Retrac and xezene like this.
  11. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    Wow that's an old video. I was thinking it would have come from one of the more recent cons she went to. Not one from all the way back when they were in the middle of the prequels.

Han and Leia's kids were in the middle of all their kidnappings when that video was made.

12. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Here's a little infographic I made of Mark and Carrie on their characters in the EU, might be of interest in relation to your question:

[​IMG]

13. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    Since it came up, I'll also share this -- some infographics I made some time ago about the actors and their interactions with the EU, enjoy:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. AusStig

AusStig Force Ghost star 5

Feb 3, 2010
    Mark knew at least look had a love interest with Red Hair (he mentions how Luke getting a hot red head love interest AFTER he is not the character any more) and that Luke had a son named Ben (he was asked if he liked Luke naming his son Ben and he agreed with it).

Edit: ah beaten to it by the great @xezene

I am not shocked the younger actors know more EU. I like Sam's approach and now I am nore sad Finn got done so dirty, maybe next time.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2023
    xezene and HMTE like this.
  15. CernStormrunner

CernStormrunner Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 6, 2000
    this makes me think a fanfilm in the vein of THE THING but with a Masqued Vong hiding out in a remote ExGal base...

xezene and ColeFardreamer like this.
  16. Kadar Ordo

Kadar Ordo Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 9, 2021
    The Vector Prime trailer has always given me a weird nostalgic feeling (even though I was only a toddler when it came out). Like, it's always made me wonder what a 90's Star Wars trilogy would have been like, specifically a sequel trilogy that Lucas might have made instead of or before doing the prequels. I know TPM (and Vector Prime admittedly) came out in '99, but that's like at the tail end of the decade. I'm thinking about a trilogy that would have lasted the decade; like, say, from '90 to '96. I don't know, it's hard for me to put it into words.

17. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    Stuff like this begs the question, for me, how come Mark wasn't hired for other Luke Skywalker voice acting gigs around the same time? He didn't do the ROTJ radio drama, or Dark Empire, and he didn't voice Luke in Jedi Outcast or Academy.

Voice acting was his bread and butter at the time.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2023
    AusStig likes this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Would DE have conflicted with his Batman work?

19. AvarandElzarsittininatree

Nov 13, 2021
    I imagine Hamill had a steeper price than most voice actors did and they may not have been wanting to pay that much for that particular product. Plus he very well may have been busy with other things as well.

AusStig likes this.
  20. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    They paid Billy Dee for Dark Empire and Jedi Outcast. I'm sure Mark cost more, but voice acting still isn't one of the highest paid acting gigs, even for him.

21. xezene

Jan 6, 2016
    I believe the ROTJ radio drama was a scheduling conflict. As for the other stuff, I seem to remember hearing that he said he wasn't asked.

AusStig and Dawud786 like this.