main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Rogue One Vehicles/Tech in Rogue One

Discussion in 'Anthology' started by DaddlerTheDalek, May 17, 2016.

1. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    [​IMG]

Could somebody please tell me where the above and beautiful cross-section drawing originates from?

Also, what is the correct description of its much larger and longer cousin seen descending during the scene where the shield gate closes? Imperial Container ship?

https://starwarsscreencaps.com/rogue-one-2016/66/

2. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I love that ship. A sea turtle above the crystal clear waters of Scarif.

Did the larger, longer version at the gate get destroyed when it was closed? Can’t remember.

Lt. Hija likes this.
  3. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015

Lt. Hija

It's from the book Rogue One: the Ultimate Visual Guide by Pablo Hildago (I'm pretty sure from your previous posts you don't like him XD), I bought it a month ago and it's amazing mix of cross-sections and visual dictionary pictures. (as I collect all the star wars visual dictionaries, vehicle cross sections, and locations. There weren't enough ships for them to write their own book for the spin off and or they just were too lazy and put them in with the dictionary...

it's bigger cousin is the:

Eta Class Supply Barge:
    http://showcase.starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Eta-class_supply_barge

[​IMG]

Iron_lord and Django Fett like this.
  4. redxavier

redxavier Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    Doesn't the shuttle have another deck below the main one though?

5. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    Snafu55

"Eta Class Supply Barge"? Thanks for the heads-up. Apparently I haven't studied the RO Visual Guide as thoroughly as I should have (or perhaps I'm deliberately going for cognitive dissonance, as there are a couple of items that are way too much retroactive continuity at the expense of the original ANH design intentions). ;)

Rectification: I have nothing but the utmost respect for any individual that earnestly researches the original (design) intentions of the people actually involved with the Original Trilogy (i.e. in contrast to the conjectural and contradictory inventions of West End Games and others) and makes certain these are reflected in any upcoming new films to ensure continuity.

whostheBossk and Snafu55 like this.
  6. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015

It would be many years of cognitive dissonance and confirmation bias ;p from the guys work over the years.
    and the book was a great mix of everything

7. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012

I think it's more of a crawl space for repair purposes.

[​IMG]

Sarge and Snafu55 like this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    There are crawlspaces like that in most transport airplanes. Most of them are nicknamed "the hellhole."

Lt. Hija likes this.
  9. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Straight up love Shuttle design..

DaddlerTheDalek and Gigoran Monk like this.
  10. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    The Rogue One designs are simply a cut above the designs for the ST. I think that has to do with Edwards and Chiang together having an impeccable and detailed eye for what makes Star Wars look like Star Wars.

Lt. Hija and darthOB1 like this.
  11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Agreed on all points.

Gigoran Monk likes this.
  12. bizzbizz

bizzbizz Jedi Master star 4

Dec 16, 2015
    this movie def made most of the ships look even more awesome

13. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    In Empire their armor was too strong for blasters yet in Rogue one X wings Easily took them out. One even split right in half after a couple shots. Did that bother anybody else?

Pain and Suffering likes this.
  14. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    These are an earlier model. No doubt the Empire learned a lesson after the events of Rogue One.

15. LionL

LionL Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2017
    I'd think that the weapons on an X-Wing ar more powerful than those on a Snowspeeder - one's a Fighter/Bomber, the other a mere air-speeder

16. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    Also, the AT-ATs were cargo variants designed to be used outside of combat.

17. darthOB1

darthOB1 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 22, 2000
    Those were also fully armed war ships attacking, x wings u wings etc... not snow speeders with blasters

Jedi Daniel, J7Luke and Darth Dnej like this.
  18. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I kind of like how they portrayed them as weak when standing up to starfighter fire. It gives validity to the progression to a stronger armor over those next three years-forcing the Rebels to get creative in that next encounter.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
    Jedi Daniel, eko32eko7 and J7Luke like this.
  19. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I chalked it up as starfighter canons being way more powerful than snowspeeder blasters.

Jedi Daniel likes this.
  20. Psycho Weiner

Psycho Weiner Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2017
    They were AT-ACTs, not built primarily for combat so not as strong and less heavily-armoured. Plus they were also being hit by more powerful cannons I think.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/All_Terrain_Armored_Cargo_Transport

21. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    I really enjoyed Rogue One's use of similar yet variant vehicles of the Empire. It expands the universe while at the same time not creating the "where was ______ in Ep 4 to 6? dilemma.

For the AT-ACT in particular, they would not be a frontline instrument. They'd be supplying the advance through previously cleared territory for long battles. Without any long battles occurring, they were most likely repurposed to high value military installations.

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The walkers blew up under the sheer willpower of Admiral Raddus, who was leading the attack.

On Hoth, they were counting on the willpower of General Rieekan and Dak. You see what that got them...

23. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I agree with the above. Support type walkers vs. combat walkers and I agree with the designated fighter/attack weapon systems on X Wings being of a higher power output and add to that 4 cannons firing vs. only two on the snow speeder.

24. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    They are using heavy rockets and perhaps the X wing has a stronger punch then a harpooner

25. moreorless12

moreorless12 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 4, 2016
    Which I think plays into what the film is trying to show setting wise, if the OT is about elite frontline combat and the PT is about the centre of government/population then Rogue One is more about the nuts and bolts of the Empire, the support network that enables it to function.

We do obviously see some elite combat parts of the Empire but alto of is deliberately more mundane and industrial.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018