main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Victorian Fires - "All Wings Report In"

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Adalia-Durron , Feb 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, watching from my lounge in SA it looks utterly horrifying. The flames are moving so fast no one could ever out run them or escape if they were caught. I don't know where you guys all live, but I hope to the stars you are out of harms way.

2. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I'm still here. I had the Keilor fires above me, and the Kinglake fire to one side and the sky is bright orange, but they're moving away. My sister was missing in Bendigo for a while but has checked in. All is fine on my end.

How's everyone else? Everyone okay?

3. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    This has been a horrible dark day. They are saying 84 dead now, and that toll will rise. I am glad to hear you are ok Princess, but you obviously were in the line at one point. So very scary and a very sad day in Australia's history.

4. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    I'm not in Melbourne at the moment (in Malaysia for the summer, and ... well, long unimportant story) but I've been following this on the news and ... gosh, this is horrible. [face_worried]

5. tahiriveilax

tahiriveilax Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 31, 2008
    I'm in Melbourne, and my friends brother is out in the fires. I hope hes okay.
    108 people confirmed dead. :(

6. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    Still here.

We were on high alert yesterday, but the winds changed.

My Uncle lost his house and my brother and his family haven't been heard from since yesterday morning, but I think that's mostly the result of downed phone lines in his area.....at least I hope so.

7. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [:D] vader, I hope you hear very soon, and that it's good news [face_love]

8. Dags

Dags Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 3, 2000
    I can't help but think this thread should've been called

"All wings report in" :)

It's all good in my end of town. The Dandenongs up the road were put on alert but they got through OK.

9. Jaden1138

Jaden1138 Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 2, 2009
    I was worried about you Brooke, but I saw you posting and knew you were okay. I am so sorry for the loss of life. California gets these fires a lot and we have family out there. SO I can SORT OF relate but luckily for me I have never had to experience it. God bless all of you out there dealing with it.

~Kim

10. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    And it shall be done.... ;)

11. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Yes well it is the worst natural disaster in Australian history according to the news. My principal called us all into assembly and basically was crying on the podem about it. But I'm just happy I'm pretty safe here.

12. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    It's having a devastating effect on anyone in this country with a heart and soul. I watch, I cry and I can only do what I have done, donate money. They don't want my blood (medications in it) and I have gathered up clothes from my kids rooms and mine, but no where to send them. :( Just feeling a bit lost and helpless. :(

13. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Death Toll is now 126.....

14. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008

:eek: Oh no! The thing about this is that it bands Australia together, it just shows how we all come together when something like this happens. That says something about Australians. I am also concerned about the floods in Queensland. And they say some of the fires may have been lit deliberately, who would do that?

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Who? Someone who WHEN they get caught will be charged with MASS MURDER. As for the state of that persons mind, I can't say, as to why, can't say either. It's a living nightmare and they expect the toll to go up again. Makes me sick.

16. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah they have arrested a person I forget who, and some teenager who started one in NSW. It makes me sick too. And my friend explained to me that they do it because they get an adrenaline rush out of it. They lit the fire, try to get away and it goes out, but sometimes it doesn't.

17. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    That 'rush' had better last them the rest of their miserable lives as they will not see the light of day outside a prison till they die themselves. Personally, capitol punishment in this circumstance might be appropriate. [face_plain]

EDIT: Parliament just announced that the toll has gone up to 128 now.

18. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Yes, I think they deserve punishment for those they killed, but in my Jedi ways I don't feel hate for them. But what they did is very wrong, I can't imagine if my loved ones where out there. Maybe that's why I don't hate them. Hmm. But I think they will be very hated by Australia.
    On Sunrise this morning, it said that the news of it was going all around the world, and showed news shows talking about it. Apparently the army is helping out now, and the British premier has said he will help out as most he can. I think its great that all these people want to help.

19. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    It's hard for me as a mother to read that police found four 'children' huddled together with a parent all dead and burnt beyond recognition.....Jedi or no, my heart breaks and anyone who harms a child like that does not deserve my compassion.

20. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    Yeah, I'm not a mother, it still hurts me and I have compassion for them. I'm not stone cold. Apparently skies are black there. The fires destroyed everything people owned. I can't imagine that. I can't imagine losing loved ones. It'd be horrific.

21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    My son didn't understand, asked me if it happened to us what would we have. I took him to the street and stood him in the centre of the road. I told him to tell me what he had on him now...he described his clothes and thats it. I told him, that's it. That's all alot of people have left. He was a little confused. "Not even their playstations?" Arh, the innocence of a child. I think most of us feel the same, we just cannot comprehend this and right now, it's shaking alot of people to their cores.

22. tahiriveilax

Oct 31, 2008
    I know. I can't comprehend in my mind how hard it must be because I've never experienced something like it, but my heart goes out to them. I wonder what the death toll is now. My friend is very upset I can tell. Her brother is still out there. He went fishing out there and now the town is surrounded by fires. The last resort they have is to jump in the lake.

23. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    The toll is 130 and rising.....words can't say it.

Just spoke to Mrs Mixo....everything is fine at their place, all safe and well.

We just talking to a friend of mine who has lost 4 of his friends and he's searching for his best mate. :eek:

:_|

24. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    My heart goes out to your friend.....and you have heard from your brother I hope? I'm just having a real hard time coming to terms with this nightmare.....it's just beyond my comprehension.

25. lordvaderFF

Nov 29, 2000
    No word yet, they are currently listed as "missing"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.