main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Video game speed running

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by jedi_john_33, Dec 3, 2017.

1. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Does anyone do this or watch it? I have dabbled in trying a speed run on some simpler side scrollers, but I cannot dedicate the time. I do enjoy watching them. I am working on a Super Mario Odyssey 100% run right now. I think I am about 11 hours into it. I am looking forward to all games done quick in January. Super fun to watch!

2. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    The only two games I've had the patience to speedrun were Myst and Gone Home, both of which had endings that could be completed within a minute or two if you know what to do. :p

3. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I always check out a bit of every GDQ event. The Half-Life/Portal speedruns are always fun.

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    I can't stand doing speed runs, especially on collecting games like Metroid. I prefer to thoroughly explore and experience everything the game has to offer.

jedi_john_33 likes this.
  5. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I've never attempted it myself, but I don't think I would find any enjoyment in it either, unless the game is already very short. I don't see the appeal of watching it either, as it often involves exploiting glitches or breaking the intended flow and progression of the game, at which point you're not even really playing the game. If a physicist managed to find an exploit in the space-time continuum that allowed him to teleport from one side of the pitch to the other and defy gravity, is he really playing football?

6. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014
    I used to speedrun the Resident Evil games, since you had to do so for the unlocks. I haven't done it in recent years, but I love how much practice it requires.

Case in point: GoldenEye!

7. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    A lot of the glitches/exploits are extremely difficult to pull off and require very precise execution. People who do speedrunning regularly make it look easy but it's because they put a lot of time into it. Also there's always glitchless runs.

8. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Sure, but look at the GoldenEye speedrun linked to above. The man strafes along walls, looking at the floor, until the finish. I understand that there is a purpose to what he's doing. Every small detail of his actions is to shave off milliseconds by taking the shortest possible, most efficient path to the finish. But I get no enjoyment out of watching that. The only thing I enjoyed with the video was his ecstatic thrill at breaking the world record. But there was nothing exciting about the run itself. It just doesn't appeal to me. At least with something like a platformer speed-run, I find excitement in watching the precise split-second reflexes at display in skillfully negotiating the obstacles and making quick precise jumps. No doubt, the player is no longer reacting that much, but rather performing a calculated sequence that he/she has practiced a hundred times before to perfect, but it looks more dynamic, and as an added bonus, he/she is displaying the actual intended skill set required of the game.

9. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    Oh cool! This thread did post. I thought my internet ate it because I couldn't find it.

I do get a bit angry at how easy they make it look. I pick the game up and am all "let's do this!" and then, I fail and give up. One of my favorites recently is the Link to the Past Randomizer. Most are done as races, and last around 2 hours, but entertaining because items can just be anywhere and the runner has to adjust each game. Pretty neat stuff IMO.

10. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I use to watch the Borderland speed runs.