main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Viewing Order Post-TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PymParticles , Feb 29, 2016.

?

What's your new 7 film viewing order?

1. Release (4-5-6-1-2-3-7)

31 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Episodic (1-2-3-4-5-6-7)

85 vote(s)
    59.4%
  3. Flashback (4-5-1-2-3-6-7)

8 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Other (state below)

19 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    YES, they are fan fiction. Fiction created and controlled by fans = fan fiction.

That doesn't diminish their quality or make them less official.

2. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
    Just like Star wars is no longer the vision of just one man but of collective minds, each with their own interpretation of the saga which doesn't make it inherently better or worst than before. Whether it's fan fiction or not doesn't affect my enjoyment of the story if it's a well-crafted one.

Force Smuggler and Lulu Mars like this.
  3. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Umm, No. See the definition I posted earlier.

seventhbeacon likes this.
  4. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I saw it. It was reasonable, from a certain POV.

Now, though, you're saying that fiction created and controlled by fans is not fan fiction.
    That doesn't look very reasonable at all from where I'm standing.

5. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Yes, Abrams and Co. are Star Wars fans but they were also paid by the copyright owners of Star Wars to create The Force Awakens.

By your definition, half of all intellectual properties that have existed in the past 50 years would be considered Fanfiction, which is just asinine and ridiculous.

6. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    I really do not see what's so ridiculous about that. What's the problem with it being fan fiction? As I said, that says nothing about the quality or official status of it.

7. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Again, see the definition I posted.

Works of fanfiction are not and cannot be legitimized... PERIOD.

Your definition defines 'legitimate works' as only those things produced by the original auteur/author/creator of a particular thing, and everything else, regardless of official sanction and status, as fanfiction, which is asinine and ridiculous because it is fundamentally dismissive of anything that wasn't created by a particular person or group of people.

8. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    When you say "fan fiction", there's an unspoken "unsanctioned" preceding the term.
    When I say it, there's not - because there is such a thing as officially authorized, legitimate fan fiction. TFA is a perfect example of that.

That is in no way dismissive of anything.

9. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002

No, there's not.

If a fan of a particular property creates a work that is sanctioned by the copyright holders of said property, what that fan created is not fanfiction. It's as simple as that.

10. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    This seems like a really important argument.

Sent from my brain using thumbs.

11. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ It's not even an argument, and has really derailed the thread enough, so back to talking about the viewing order.

It's pretty clear, IMO, that there really is only the one way to view the Saga - episodically - even though it's also clear that people are going to continue to have their own opinions/thoughts on the subject.

12. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    It's as simple as this: Fan-created fiction = fan fiction.

But yes, let's get back on topic.

There are countless ways to watch the Saga, just as there are countless ways to watch any other movie.
    I prefer to experience the story in chronological order, though - even though it's also fun, not to mention enlightening, to mix and match and highlight all the parallels and inversions.

13. L110

L110 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2014
    Then I am the most ardent Lucas is Star Wars disciple.

14. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Enough arguments about what is and is not fan fiction or whether anyone but Lucas deserves to be involved in Star Wars.

People other than Lucas are involved in Star Wars, and this thread is not about them or any users' opinion of them.

Back to viewing order.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  15. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Something that needs to be considered. Ten years ago, HBO had received the broadcast rights to show all six films that existed at the time. All based off the DVD editions of the films. HBO and Cinemax began airing the Saga as I-VI over the course of one day. Cinemax would do the same thing. A few years later, MTV and later Spike TV would air the Saga in the same manner. Sometimes over the course of a week, sometimes divided over two days of three films each. But always in I-VI order. Lucas sold his company to Disney and after the existing contracts ended, the films went off the air until this past week when TNT began broadcasting the Saga. And now that Lucas is out, notice that the Saga premieres as I-VI. Today, they began the full day marathon at 5:15 A.M. EST with TPM and will go through with ROTJ, which makes its premiere tonight and will rebroadcast right after. I wager that TNT will also divide the films into trilogies and air them over two days, in the coming weeks and months. In about another year or so, I wager that TNT will have the rights to TFA. And then we'll have a I-VII.marathon.

So, my point is that even without the creator at the helm, LFL policy is to have the films as episodic order over order of release.

16. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    LFL/Disney don't really care what the best way to experience the saga is. They're corporations above all else and they're trying to market the movies the best they can. And from a marketing standpoint, does I-VI make more sense or does IV,V,VI,I,II,III? I'd say the former does since the numbers go in order. Thus, in order to minimize confusion & maximize accessibility for newcomers, the movies are shown in episodic order. It's simply a business decision that doesn't really have any bearing on what the ideal order actually is.

17. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Kathleen Kennedy is more than just a "corporate suit"; she's the woman that George Lucas handpicked to succeed him as the CEO/COO of Lucasfilm knowing full well that he was selling the company, so the fact that the company continues to license the films for distribution in episodic order is far more than just a "business decision"; it's a tacit statement of how the company and its handpicked CEO/COO - who maintains direct day-to-day control over it and its operations - want their 'signature property' to be experienced.

18. theMaestro

theMaestro Jedi Master star 3

Oct 16, 2015
    And why do you think they want their "signature property" to be experienced I-VI? Again, I'd bet that it's because starting with the number 1 and going upwards creates less confusion & maximizes accessibility for newcomers. They probably didn't even consider the release order because the numbers don't work that way. So maybe "business decision" wasn't the best wording. Instead, I don't think it was much of a decision at all. The movies clearly have numbers on them, so why not just show them in that order? It's the simplest thing to do and avoids unnecessary confusion.

But I do get what you're saying about Kennedy. Perhaps there is a component of it that's about honoring George's wishes about how the films should be viewed. But I don't know about that. The fact that they didn't use his ST story treatments might be indicative of how they feel about following his wishes.

19. Jango_Fett21

Apr 9, 2002
    Im not really disputing your argument; I'm simply pointing out that the company is in fact making a tacit endorsement of Episodic order regardless of what may be motivating them to do so.

I would also point out that Kennedy remains close personal friends with Lucas, meaning that there was no ill will meant in the decision not to use the story treatments he provided.

20. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    If we count every Star Wars film,
    TPM
    ANH
    Rogue One
    Han Solo Film
    TESB
    AOTC
    ROTS
    Obi Wan Film
    ROTJ
    Boba Fett Film
    TFA
    Episode VIII
    Episode IX

If just the episodes,

Episode I
    Episode IV
    Episode V
    Episode II
    Episode III
    Episode VI
    Episode VII
    Episode VIII
    Episode IX

Lulu Mars likes this.
  21. Lulu Mars

Mar 10, 2005
    Hm! Interesting. I get where you're going with viewing the Saga episodes in that order, but I'm not really sure why you place RO and the Han Solo movie after ANH.
    Do you imagine it as a flashback for newcomers?

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    for people who've never seen the films they need to see 4, 5 and 6 first. then the pt and watch all the way through.

KaleeshEyes and Sarge like this.
  23. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    I do, and I think flash back viewers should get a feel of the OT environment before going back in time after only 2 OT films.

24. SithLord28273

SithLord28273 Jedi Youngling

Sep 22, 2016
    Personally I love to watch them 1-7 but that is just me.

25. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015
    I've always liked the Machete order for maintaining the surprise of Luke's parentage, at least if introducing it to new people or to your kids. TFA going at the end of that, of course. At the same time, I'd more likely prefer to show my kids this order: IV, V, VI, VII. I mean, you can't protect them from everything in this world, but you can try!

Sarge likes this.