main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Viewing Order Post-TFA

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PymParticles , Feb 29, 2016.

?

What's your new 7 film viewing order?

1. Release (4-5-6-1-2-3-7)

31 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Episodic (1-2-3-4-5-6-7)

85 vote(s)
    59.4%
  3. Flashback (4-5-1-2-3-6-7)

8 vote(s)
    5.6%
  4. Other (state below)

19 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Any true Star Wars fan will watch them 7,1,5,6,4,2,3 for no reason whatsoever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    What "surprise about Luke's parentage"? Such a "surprise" doesn't actually exist any longer and was really tenuous to begin with.

Alienware likes this.
  3. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

Heh, tenuous to begin with? False! It was a pretty big surprise in 1980, unless you read the comics which spoiled the twist in advance! How old are you? My guess is you were born into a world where "Luke, I am your father" was referenced/misquoted often enough for you to pick up. Hell, I was, and I was born in '81, so yeah, it wasn't a surprise for me either. But it doesn't mean it won't be a surprise for kids.

Also, you seem to have left out the key clause of my comments: at least if introducing it to new people or to your kids. Granted, most adults around long enough might learn it through cultural osmosis, since it is such a fundamental part of pop culture and nerd reference. However, I've been surprised by the things people I've met didn't know. If they hadn't seen Star Wars before, they weren't paying attention to it, and they had no clue about some things.

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    They might have learned of the quote, "I, am your father" but not where it comes from.

After working in retail for the past year and severals months I'm not surprised at what people know or don't know.
    You'll get everything. Someone doesn't know the twist? I can buy it.

5. seventhbeacon

seventhbeacon Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 3, 2015

What amuses me greatly is that I've heard the misquote way more than the actual line in the film. People always putting "Luke" in there and taking on Vader's speech affect. It's kind of similar to how Yoda's backward speech was exaggerated in parodies and references for so many years, that when Papa George sat down to write the character in the PT, he made Yoda talk more like the SNL and other parodies than he did in the original two films.

6. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    That too.
    I want to say that I read an article about JEJ saying that. People came up to him, butchering the quote.

7. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
  8. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002

I was born in November of 1980 (the same year The Empire Strikes Back was released), and stand by my statement that the "I am your father" thing was always a tenuous "surprise" at best.

9. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    [face_love]
    Is that quote for real?

10. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    For who? Because it was quite shocking to many, many people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

In my world, it is.

12. Ord Sorrell

Ord Sorrell Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2016
    I dont think I could ever watch them in order....

If I am reading about a character or planet or period of time, I'll watch the movie that best showcases that which I was interested in

Force Smuggler likes this.
  13. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I watch them chronologically by the year they were released

14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The trilogies are pretty interchangeable really, Lucas was smart with that Imo.
    But yeah, the ST complicates things.

15. Howard Hand

Howard Hand Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2015
    To be completely honest, I don't think I've ever marathoned all 6 (now 7) films. I can watch each film or trilogy individually but anything more is too much.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  16. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    TPM to ROTJ over 6 days. for me.

Nothing more than 1 a day unless I did it when I was younger and can't remember.
    Might have done TFA twice in a day or two days in a row when released earlier this year.

Sarge likes this.
  17. Red Solo

Red Solo Jedi Knight

Jan 9, 2016
    I intentionally avoided seeing 4-6 when they were released until 1-3 were released so that I could see them in order.

Rogue One messes all that up.

-Jedi Joe- likes this.
  18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Not many people who have large franchises that they want to marathon, do so all at once. One or two a day works best. I did the OT all day back in 1995, on Christmas Day. But otherwise, I had done one a day when it was on USA. When I did the first Saga marathon eleven years ago, I started with TPM on Friday night. Watched AOTC and ROTS during the next day and ANH at night. Then ended with TESB and ROTJ on Sunday.

19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I've been trying to free up some time to marathon the Saga since my semester started in August, and I might finally have an opportunity to do so soon. I've decided to do Episodic I-VII order, with the Blu-ray versions of each film, just to see how the current canon of films works in sequence and try to see the Saga through the eyes of those who prefer watching it that way.

Alienware and MOC Vober Dand like this.
  20. JediChipKelly

JediChipKelly Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2016
    What I always do is 1 movie per weekend (over a 7 weekend period). If you start watching multiple movies in one weekend, it gets to be too much as I like to enjoy each one and then take a break. Plus you look forward to that next movie all week when you can watch it on the weekend.

It will be weird after Episode 9 comes out on BluRay (along with Rogue One), and we have 10 movies to watch as it will essentially take me around 3 months (1 per weekend) to marathon them!

MOC Vober Dand likes this.
  21. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    You also have the Han Solo movie, and a year after IX the Boba Fett film, or whatever the third standalone ends up being.

22. Darth Droid

Darth Droid Jedi Master star 2

Jul 4, 2013
    A friend had never seen any of the films (somehow she doesn't even know about "I Am Your Father") following much debate it was decided that really Episode IV is the only place you can really start for a newcomer. If you have no idea what a Jedi is or what the force is then The Phantom Menace is probably largely intelligible.

PaulWrightyThen and Sarge like this.
  23. PodracingSkywalker

PodracingSkywalker Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 1, 2014
    For myself, it alternates between 4-6 then 1-3. or episodic order. For the uninitiated, definitely 4-6 then the PT.

JediChipKelly and Sarge like this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

But TPM does introduce you to the Jedi and the Force, without needing exposition. It can work. You have to decide if your friend is someone who can be easily confused.

DBPirate and ConservativeJedi321 like this.
  25. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

If she doesn't know the "I am you're father" thing, show her by episode order or 1,2,4,5,3,6.