main
side
curve
  1. Welcome to the new boards! Details here!

Vignettes: Planned or Spontaneously Created?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Lonewolf89, Nov 30, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lonewolf89

Lonewolf89 Jedi Master star 5

Sep 26, 2001
    I'm just curious how other authors develop their one-posters. Do you plan them out, or do they just hit you? Do you spend days on them, or polish them off in half an hour?

Most of my vignettes sneak up on me, usually when I'm in a sugar or sleep deprived state. Sometimes I agonize over them, but, mostly, I end up writing them in an hour or two.

2. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    They smack me across the face like a wet fish.

3. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    I?m reminded of the term ?spontaneous combustion?.

My latest vignette (or should I say short story?), Balance Point, was unplanned. Normally, I prefer to plan stories, but I?ve been trying a different approach. I?m taking writing less seriously and allowing everything to just flow.

Ams [face_love]

4. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Most of my vignettes hit me over the head and demand to be written - or else. Unfortunately, I can't just dash them off in a few minutes/hours like some lucky writers. Takes me days and days!

5. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Yes? :p

Either can happen to me. I've owed a vig to a friend for two weeks now and it's taking me forever to come up with something. Other times I get an idea and it's done in an hour. All depends.

Shaindl

6. Arin_Atona

Arin_Atona Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2004
    They smack me across the face like a wet fish.

Mine are more like rubber chickens.
    Yeah, my viggies are extremely spontaneous.

7. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Bam! They just appear.

8. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Mostly they just appear, and I finish them off in half an hour to an hour. :) Once I have the idea, I just need to get it down, and things sort themselves out by the end. :p (Shortest time a vig took - 8 minutes. Longest - almost two hours.)

9. vader_incarnate

vader_incarnate Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    *laughs* The ideas just kinda pop up by themselves -- but I don't usually manage to write them down until later. That's why I have a huge list of "Stories to Finish" sitting on my desktop. :p

Elli

10. KnightedRogue

KnightedRogue Jedi Master star 3

Aug 11, 2004
    No wet fish, it's more like I got run over by a semi and dragged myself to the laptop. [face_laugh]

I really think that vignettes tend to best capture the spirit of the moment when the author is in the spirit of the moment. Thus our best pieces tend to literally come out of nowhere.

*KR*

11. Lady-Hermione

Lady-Hermione Jedi Master star 1

Jul 15, 2003
    I really think that vignettes tend to best capture the spirit of the moment when the author is in the spirit of the moment. Thus our best pieces tend to literally come out of nowhere.

I can't say it any better than that. :) Vignettes are always a thing of lightning-strike inspiration for me.

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Jedi Grand Master star 9

Mar 26, 2001
    Actually, most of my viggies are planned out. Like I'll be writing a story and write a corresponding viggie when the moment's right. Or I'll say "Here's my challenge, now how do I figure it out?" But some, like She Kissed My Wookiee and a lot of the Title Challenge responses are spontaneous.

13. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    For me, vignettes are the only things I ever finish precisely because I can pump them out in one sitting. I can ride the wave of whatever inspiration has hit and get em done, without having to worry about the inevitable writers block.

14. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    No wet fish, it's more like I got run over by a semi and dragged myself to the laptop.

hehehehee couldn't say it any better myself. I rarely plan my vignettes. I've only ever planned two of them. For the Greater Good and Qui-Gon and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day. The second one also took me the longest of any vignette to write. I sat for about two hours with the original book in my lap trying to make things come out right. The shortest time I ever had on mine was about 5 minutes and that was the vig Five Second Rule I did for the flash challenge.

15. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    In my own case they're mostly spontaneous...although sometimes I'll happen across a big plot point in a longer story that I've forgotten about and feel compelled to sit down and write a snapshot about it. Plot bunnies are for life, not just for Christmas! :D

16. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    They are very spontaneous for me. Both Here and Letter to the Galaxy were written within like 30 minutes of the bunny.

It's like these kind of stories just come and tap you on the shoulder and say, "Hey. Write me, and hurry!"

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    They come quickly, abruptly, out of no where, and keep on attacking your thoughts until you give yourself over completely to them, write them out, and post away for all to see.

...Then sometimes it doesn't stop there. ;)

18. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Usually the inspiration comes quickly and from unexpected sources. I have found my muse speaks to me from the line in a movie, a stray idea while I am running, or one time while I was vacuuming!

They tend to write themselves quickly, but I do edit and edit again. And then some more for good measure. Not to say I deliver a polished piece, but it is far better than the first draft! :D

19. Smuggler_Shidakis

Smuggler_Shidakis Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 26, 2004
    The bunny hits me, I write it out it in my head, then get it down on paper ASAP.

Does anyone else do that? Write stuff in their heads?

20. Lt_Jaina_Solo

Lt_Jaina_Solo Jedi Knight star 5

May 27, 2002
    I'll write out certain scenes in my heads. Vignettes are the only form of writing that I don't outline for. I usually write them in a short enough time period that I remember all that I wanted to say, or it ends up becoming irrevelant.

Of course, sometimes, when you accept challenges for the Mushability Awareness Month Challenge, you find that you have to plan or else you'll have a lot of nothing, just a blank word document.

~LtJS @};-

21. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Plot bunnies are for life, not just for Christmas!

[face_laugh] How very true, Master. [face_laugh]

I write things in my head all of the time. If I can't get it started in my head then I certainly won't be able to do it in writing!

My viggies smack me in the jaw at the most inopportune moments. Especially when I am in the shower. One time I wrote a viggie (and edited it) with lipliner. :D

22. MistiWhitesun

MistiWhitesun Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Both & either.

To explain:

I'll be thinking about a narrative style, technique and/or topic, have it stewing in my mind for days, weeks, or months, and abruptly sprout a vignette, normally in about an hr.. This is semi-planned, semi-spontaneous, like "Flashing NIght".

But sometimes, the sprout first develops a bulb. With "Leaking Heart", I wanted to try a repetitive device that would have some impact on the reader. While thinking about this, I realized I needed practice in not relying in dialogue, too. I wanted to to a TK/J? The plot developed in my head, and I remembered the Chinese water torture, and in study hall one Friday, the piñata burst. So here, I plan it out.

On occasion, I'll read a challenge or something and be immediately hit with a vignette. Take "Betrayal". I pulled that off in roughly 1/2 hr., if that. It's seven paragraphs.

Hope that makes sense.

[b]Don't move from planning to spontaneous![/b]

I forget who said he was doing that, but [i]don't[/i]! I'm working in the reverse direction as you?haphazard to planned. If you want the dangers of working spontaneously, PM me.>

23. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    Mine are hit and run. As soon as I get the idea, I jot the summary down on a scrap of paper so I don't forget, and the next moment I can get on the computer (I can't do the paper thing anymore. There's a block) I write it down. Usually, what I turn out is semi-decent. I leave it for a day, go back, and fix the errors I see.

A lot of the times, I just get a sentence in my head - an aphorism, a quote, a title I want to use - and I write a vignette to explain that. Most of my vignettes turned out that way.

As a matter of fact... I think all but three are because of that. Heh. Fancy that?

-Krystal

24. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I write quite a lot of things out in my head for writing. Then I go to the notepad. :)

25. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Most of my one post vignettes, possibly all of them, come out in a flurry of trying to type as fast as I see/hear what I am writing. I usually have no idea what is going to happen until it does.

But then once I have it done, it will wait an amount of time that has varied between 1 second and 2 years before it will see the light of day. If it is going to see the light of day that is. Sometimes it gets edited heavily. Sometimes it doesn't.

KD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.