main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Vintage figures... particularly the ROTJ ones... a trend or just bad luck?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by Indigo_Jade, Feb 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Indigo_Jade

Indigo_Jade Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2002
    I have just really started getting into the Mint on Card collecting game for vintage figures, and I have noticed that almost all of the ROTJ ones that I have seen on eBay all have yellowed bubbles, in varying degrees.

Is this just bad luck, or was there a serious problem with the quality of the platic used and all (or almost all) of the bubbles have yellowed to some degree?

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Indy

2. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    I only have four MOC ROTJ figures and neither of them have yellow bubbles. I believe it was probably due to where the collectors stored their items, near direct sunlight, or in heat, that caused the yellowing.

3. Darth_Dashit

Darth_Dashit Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 12, 2001
    Its when the figure is stored in direct sunlight or close to indoor lights, or even above a radiator, it causes the bubble to become yellow, and easier to damage. I dont know if it is just that range that have a bad problem, but a number of MOC figures i've seen form the 1980's have yellow bubbles, but they are cheaper than better kept figures, so it depends on how mint you want your figure.

4. Abhors Elder

Abhors Elder Guest

Kenner used a lower quality plastic when they made the bubbles on the ROTJ, Tri-logo, and POTF figures. Over time, they eventually went yellow. Most likely all of them will turn yellow over time. Bubbles yellow quicker is they are exposed to:
    - Direct sunlight
    - Cigarette smoke
    - Extreme heat
    - Extreme cold
    - Possibly exposure and handling can lead to it too.

Also, remember that the more yellow bubbles become, the more brittle they become. I had ordered a MOC ROTJ Leia Combat Poncho earlier this summer on Ebay. The card was nearly flawless, but the bubble had yellowed. During shipping, a small peice on the top of the bubble actually chipped off. I even found the part of the bubble that chipped off in the box.

I'm also starting to speculate that figures with clear bubbles might start becoming brittle soon too. I just noticed that there is a 1" long crack on one side of the bottom of the bubble of my MOC Klattu. Thats right below one foot. Under his other foot is a 1"x.5" hole. I never noticed these when I purchased him a few months back, but that may be because the bubble was still clear. The bubble has to be getting brittle in order for the crack and hole to be as they are.

Remember, don't be afraid to buy figures with yellow bubbles. They will all turn yellow eventually. I have about 8 MOC ROTJ and a few of them have yellow bubbles, but it doesn't really bother me. I would advise against getting figures with cracked or chipped bubbles though. I learned my lesson there. Thats all I know on the subject of yellowing bubbles...

-saber holder

5. Master-Fett

Master-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 25, 2002
    I only have four MOC ROTJ figures and neither of them have yellow bubbles

Four-Neither ;)

6. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    Welcome to the Collectors forum Indy. I have
    a few figures like the ones that you were talking about. They got that way by being
    on a window ledge and were exposed to heat
    for the summer. I was able to cut down the direct sun but I did not consider the heat.

7. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Anyone else have any experience with this?

Indy

8. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    This thread has made me close the heating vents in my Star Wars room... I had totally forgot that heat could cause this as well. EGADS!

9. Indigo_Jade

Apr 23, 2002
    Glad my lack of knowledged helped somebody!!! :p

Also don't forget to drain your Star Wars cans of pop, lest they leak all over your stuff... one of the members in our group had that happen... :(

Indy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.