main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Visions: The Duel - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 15, 2021.

Tags:
?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Sep 29, 2021.
  1. 10

45.2%
  2. 9

28.6%
  3. 8

19.0%
  4. 7

2.4%
  5. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 5

2.4%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

2.4%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    [​IMG]

Studio: Kamikaze Douga
    Director: Takanobu Mizuno

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Was wondering if we were gonna get individual threads. Now we know I guess

3. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  4. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    More images-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
  5. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    Holy crap. That was fantastic. This is (also) the way.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yeah, this was pretty great. The art direction and animation was gorgeous. Haven't seen any of the other ones yet, but I already know I'll rewatch this one many times.

7. Bor Mullet

Bor Mullet Force Ghost star 8

Apr 6, 2018
    And move over, Bossk. This is the Trandoshan I was looking for.

LedReader and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  8. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Sith me that was good.

So.

So.

SO.

Good.

9. choccy

choccy Jedi Grand Master star 2

Apr 18, 2004
    This was brilliant

10. Sproj

Sproj Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2019
    Hauntingly beautiful, absolutely stunning visuals and story telling, I'd love to see the sequel!

Kato Sai and darthcaedus1138 like this.
  11. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
    First to watch, great start for the project.

darthcaedus1138 and Sproj like this.
  12. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Definitely a very strong start and it is certainly alot better than I thought it was going to be. I've never really been into Japanese animation before, but this episode certainly had me hooked.

Great tension in the story and I love that the illustrator chose to do their thing in black and white; with just a smattering of colour. For me, it really added to the overall effect of the story.

And I love those weapons!! The Katana lightsaber and laser minigun - just awesome! The umbrella lightsaber was okay too, but just a little over the top. But originality and uniqueness, top marks for that.

I've only watched 2 and 3 quarters of the episodes so far, but one thing really stands out already for me. And that is that these illustrators are pushing the boundaries in respect of imagination in what could be possible in Star Wars. They're not just sitting back and recycling what has come before. They are introducing really cool new stuff and I applaud them loudly for it.

I'm liking what I am watching.

LedReader, Sarge, Bor Mullet and 3 others like this.
  13. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    glad I watched this one first, amazing.

LedReader, Bor Mullet and Sproj like this.
  14. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Beautiful episode. I was worried that the 3D animation wouldn't work well, but the black and white, the shading and shadowing effect overlaid, the film effect like grain etc...it works beautifully. Loved the character design, environment, sound effects and music. Deeply interested in this environment for future stories, the Ronin book should be cool to see how it expands this universe. As a first hit into a wider world of Star Wars storytelling, this Akira Kurosawa tribute works very well.

Riv_Shiel, Sproj, Sarge and 1 other person like this.
  15. Fjall

Fjall Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2014
    this might be a stupid question but how can I make it into the English voiceover?

16. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    This was the best episode short of them all just done wonderful. I love the samurai feel of it. Aslo the ending with the ronin being a renegade sith who hutns other sith, love it. Love seeing more and more good trandosians. the droids were good. Also i love if got a movie out of this.

Sproj and Kato Sai like this.
  17. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    This was wonderful. It felt as if Kurosawa directed a Star Wars film. Loved every minute of it. The atmosphere, the tension, the characters. All top marks for this first episode. 9/10!

LedReader, Sproj, Sarge and 4 others like this.
  18. clone commander bossk

clone commander bossk Ostrich Velocity Expert star 5

Nov 5, 2019
    Hem Hem

[​IMG]

LedReader and Bor Mullet like this.
  19. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    I feel like this one had the most seamless blend of Star Wars and Japanese iconography, and a lot of that was down to minimalism, helped by the predominant monochrome. But even then there was so much worldbuilding as well, which helped really connect with all the characters. I was already on board for the novel, but now I'm even more eagerly anticipating it.

20. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    Really cool episode for all the reasons already stated. I particularly enjoyed the protagonist being Sith. I think it leaves the viewer with more to speculate about than if he had been Jedi.

Riv_Shiel, Sproj, Bor Mullet and 2 others like this.
  21. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    If we were to put this into the 'canon' timeline, I'd say that this is in an era before the Rule of Two, where Sith were constantly backstabbing each other, and that the Ronin in question is a Sith slowly killing his way to the top.
    But some of the bandits have First Order stormtrooper helmets, so that doesn't quite work.

I'd be interested to hear how people look at these (officially non-canon) shorts. Do you add them to your headcanon? And in that case, where would you put this?

22. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    This could be canon just change the armor and a sith with pirates raids villages, like itcould be at end of a sith war when the sith rule the galaxy, but the jedi are maybe gone for the time, and this lone sith seeks to undo what his brethren has done.

Sauron_18 and TCF-1138 like this.
  23. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    can't wait to read Ronin and learn more about the Sith Rebellion and his history.

Kato Sai and TCF-1138 like this.
  24. Maud'dib

Maud'dib Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 12, 2019
    I would put it at the end of Rise due to the 1st Order gear the bandits had. The Ronin is a former Sith cultist of Palpatine's. Sith cult.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  25. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Very much liked it. A lot of mystery in it. I would say 9/10

Sproj, Bor Mullet and Maud'dib like this.