main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts Visions: The Elder - Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Todd the Jedi , Sep 15, 2021.

?

Grade the episode

Poll closed Oct 6, 2021.
  1. 10

28.2%
  2. 9

30.8%
  3. 8

23.1%
  4. 7

7.7%
  5. 6

5.1%
  6. 5

5.1%
  7. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Let’s not forget that Yoda knows about the Rule of Two. I’ve always thought there were certain members of the Jedi Order who believed the Sith survived while the vast majority believed them extinct. It’s encounters like this one that led some to believe this but also allowed for most to dismiss them as random Sith pretenders. Yoda being the most wise of the Jedi is one of those who believes they still live and perhaps has foreseen the Rule of Two in some way.

2. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Yes. Though, Yoda specifically knows about Darth Bane, and knows him as the creator of the Rule of Two, so -- unlike what we were told in the old EU -- I think the Rule of Two was actually in effect before the "extinction" of the Sith.

Riv_Shiel and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  3. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The only way I could ever make sense of Yoda knowing how the Sith work in TPM (and about Bane in particular in TCW) is that Bane and the Sith didn’t go into hiding immediately. That the two Sith may have continued to have run ins with the Jedi for several years, or even decades, but then eventually just fell off the radar, and that as centuries past without any sightings, it was believed they must have killed themselves off.

Or that an early Banite Sith was redeemed and shared what they knew

But don’t they throw the possibility out that the Elder may be an ex-Sith?

There’s the possibility that the Sith all destroy themselves leaving Bane and his apprentice, with straggler Sith surviving but getting jaded by the seeming meaninglessness of the whole thing and renouncing the Sith name, like how Ahsoka renounced the Jedi.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maud'dib likes this.
  4. Fredrik Vallestrand

Fredrik Vallestrand Force Ghost star 7

Jan 15, 2018
    I think Rule of two was intact for some time before their great defeat. Bane says they killed and betrayed each other, so they jedi could strike them at last. Their defeat was self interest. This Elder might be one of Bane's sith.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Um……high republic era begins 300BBY, around 700 years after the Sith were “wiped out”, I say that’s more then a few centuries.

6. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    This was probably my second favorite, and even though I'd knock the fact that I got big Qui-Gon/Obi-Wan vibes from it, the simplicity of the story was really effective. Some of the other shorts tried to fit too much story into their compressed runtimes.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2021
    Bor Mullet likes this.
  7. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    Sort of in the world of The Duel.
    All character and mood.

Thumbs up.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  8. Darth_Accipiter

Darth_Accipiter Force Ghost star 5

Feb 2, 2015
    I give this a 9/10. The Duel is my standard for a 10. This was very close. The English dub for the Jedi was lacking. This is one i think is better watched in Japanese.

Sproj likes this.
  9. The Chalk Jedi

The Chalk Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2019

Love to see more of these characters. Love the idea of apostate Sith and Jedi. The Outer Rim would be a great place for these sorts of warriors.

VexedAtVohai likes this.
  10. Maud'dib

Maud'dib Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 12, 2019
    So, great grandpa Sith maybe over a millennia old? And he lived on into the High Republic era.

Sproj likes this.
  11. VexedAtVohai

VexedAtVohai Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 4, 2020
    A few centuries, probably.
    ---
    The behind-the-scenes featurette gives a little bit more info about the elder's ship, which is pretty cool.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    Fredrik Vallestrand and Maud'dib like this.
  12. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Feeling generous, so I gave this one a 10.

Bor Mullet likes this.
  13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I thought this one dragged. Nothing original here, same old characters, felt like I've seen it all before.

Sproj likes this.
  14. dinnertime

dinnertime Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 14, 2020
    This one basically felt like the adventures of Qui Gon and Obi Wan. It was done well and I enjoyed it.

Maud'dib likes this.
  15. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    This was my second favorite of the batch, almost a tie with "The Village Bride". It's a departure from what I'm used to from Studio Trigger. Tajin is a dead ringer for Qui-gon though much more orthodox and likewise, Dan is Obi-wan. This doesn't really stray into new interpretations of Jedi but instead portrays the wise master and eager padawan true to how I imagine the ideal ones would be. As peacekeepers roaming the galaxy are either dispatched to patrol or following the will of the force like how in Disney's "Gargoyles" during the Avalon world tour, Avalon sends the heroes exactly where they need to be and nowhere else. In canon stories like this would serve to build the image of the Jedi in the population at large. The image the Jedi strayed from.

There was so much purity and heart how the Master and Padawan entered the village. How Tajin took the lead and how Dan hung back making friends with the children. How Dan talked his master into letting him look for the old man, important for showing these characters are human.

It didn't take much for me to get attached to these two characters and concerned Dan was going to end up like Kit Fisto's former Padawan in the "Layer of Grievous" episode in TCW. He almost did. The Old Man was a little evil for the lolz, like the kind of villain simply motivated by challenge. He didn't seem out to kill Jedi just cuz, but that was fine. This dual was fire and once again Studio Trigger delivered one of the best-animated shorts in Visions. I knew Tajin would win but had a lot of fun cheering for him. Was glad Dan made it.

Disney, this is a fantastic pilot and needs 23 episodes. Please order these. 10/10

Last edited: Sep 23, 2021
    VexedAtVohai and Riv_Shiel like this.
  16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This was another one I really liked. Good animation. Good tone. Classic story, nothing new, but still handled well. I liked the characters, and would be interested in seeing more of them. Best kill scene of any of the shorts. Also, James Hong as the voice of The Elder.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2021
  17. Jolee Bindo

Jolee Bindo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 5, 2016
    This was awesome. A great exercise in crafting atmosphere. The lingering shots of those imposing mountains, the duel in the rain, the subtle music.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
  18. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    This was my favorite of the series, the decrepit Sith maniac was surprisingly creepy and stole the show. His single-minded madness felt unusual by Star Wars standards, and his creepy animation reminded me of Yubaba from Spirited Away.

19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    This one was definitely my favorite too.

20. MrDarth0

MrDarth0 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 3, 2015
    9/10

My favorite one so far.

Loved the characters, animation, as well as the story. And this one could easily fit into official canon as well.

Would love to see another adventure with these two Jedi, if not in animation, then in comic or novel.

EHT and Glitterstimm like this.
  21. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The eponymous Elder is one of the creepiest, most fun Star Wars villains in years. Such a great character - would love to know more about him.

22. DLCV

DLCV Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 14, 2020
  23. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Good episode, had a very menacing vibe, slow burn horror movie and great English voice cast. I'd love to see this one spun off into a series delving more into who exactly the Elder was. I mean he did literally get turned into a pile of charcoal at the end there. So he could be Sith or not a Sith, I did like how it was kept ambiguous.

24. Vader Bob

Vader Bob Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 8, 2020
    Liked the premise but I thought the old guy went out too easy. I know he makes reference to being physically diminished due to his age but my impression is that he’s supposed to be a Yoda level force user. Give me a little more than a too late attempt at some force lightening. Unless we’re just talking about a run of the mill level Sith that got old, in which case it’s not very interesting. The Padawan should have died too.

25. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I like to think he's a Sith offshoot darksider who had enough of their garbage games and just went off doing dark side-ing on his own cuz it's way more evil and cooler.

clone commander bossk and Sarge like this.