main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Visual Storytelling at its greatest: In depth analysis.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by _dArTh_SoLo, Sep 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _dArTh_SoLo

_dArTh_SoLo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 11, 2002
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/rideforfreedom.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/ridetodarkness.jpg]
    Anakin's first journey was one of innocence, one of freedom. Anakin's second journey is one of darkness, one of anything but innocence...very symbolic by the sunset.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/jedi1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/jedi2.jpg]
    Exactly the same shot. No matter who Obi Wan is against, he is still towered over.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/anakinsjourney.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/anakinsjourney2.jpg]
    This is interesting. These shots are lit so similarly alike that I do not think it is coincidence. Before, Anakin's mother was in the darkness and Qui Gon in the light, with Anakin in between. Now, Darkness is the only thing between Anakin and Padme. Very interesting.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/anakinshmi1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/anakinshmi2.jpg]
    Almost the same shot, plus ten years! It's very helpful to convince you this is the same kid because these shots are so similar. It's so sad.
    [image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/senate1.jpg]

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v437/jerseydude28/Star%20Wars/senate2.jpg]
    The republic's time is doomed. The darkness is spreading. I love these two shots, they are almost the same as well, only one at day and one at night.

Now I posted this to show how I think these are truly....amazing. This is visual storytelling at it's greatest, and once I get the OT DVD's, I'd love to use those as well.

2. Raz Zaphon

Raz Zaphon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2000
    That is so awesome. I want to be able to see the films in this sort of detail. I'm really going to keep my eyes open to the framing of shots on my future viewings. I tend to think more about the story and thematic elements in Star Wars while I'm watching rather than the visual, although George Lucas does refer to himself as a visual film maker so there must be heaps of things to pull out. I'm really looking forward to your analysis of the OT DVDs.

3. AniKaufman

AniKaufman Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 8, 2004
    T.M.T.O.Y.H.

4. Raz Zaphon

Apr 9, 2000
    It's a matter of observance over time, actually. I challenge anyone on these boards to state that they haven't watched any of the prequels fewer than 20 times over. If you haven't, then why are you posting here? If you have, then how come you haven't spotted these yourself?

5. Obi_Frans

Obi_Frans Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    I've made en entire poster of SW-shots that parallel each other (Anakin shots that parallel Luke or Vader or young Kenobi shots with that of Old)

If i only knew how to post it online..

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Actually, ROTJ is the only SW film I've seen that much.

AOTC and ANH I've seen 10+ times, and I can count the number of times I've seen ESB and TPM combined on one hand.

Not denying that I'm a huge SW fan, since I am. But, what can I say? I don't get around to watching the films very often. . .

7. Moleman1138

Moleman1138 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 18, 2004
    GL has won my respect back. I finally understand the PT. TPM parallels AOTC beautifully. Thanks for the screencaps.

8. Otis_Frampton

Otis_Frampton LFL Artist, Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 7, 2001
    Wonderful thread.

Keep em' coming.

-Otis

9. _dArTh_SoLo

Mar 11, 2002
    I really noticed it just by watching the movies....I just have a good eye for these sort of things. I truly began to notice them while working on my music video for school, in which I did one to duel of the fates with clips of four of the films.

I am going to try and find more, but I mean for the OT all three movies have a different director, and while there are parallels, I think the PT is the way George wanted to make the OT....visually, with the parallelisms. That's just my opinion anyhow.

10. Raz Zaphon

Apr 9, 2000
    Yes, the different directors fro the OT does have its cons. However while the OT movies may not mirror each other visually, there's still plenty of stuff I'm sure that can be pulled out of the PT that mirrors the OT. The only examples I can think of is Anakin standing in a Vader stance while meditating, similiar to how he does in ESB. Also there's the shot of Jake Lloyds Anakin pointing during the dinner table scene which mirrors Vader pointing at Leia at the beginning of ANH.

11. _dArTh_SoLo

Mar 11, 2002
    Yes you are right there are OT and PT shots that mirror eachother, but I was just talking about the OT primarily to itself.

Vader walking with Palpatine/Anakin walking with Palpatine....there are a ton more but I'm too lazy to type it all up. I'll post the screens by wednsday/thursdy though, I promise.

Actually, I'll post em when I am able to sit down and watch the DVD's. Haven't watched these movies in years to be honest with you.

12. Tokio_Drifter

Tokio_Drifter Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 24, 2003
    Great topic, thanks for bringing it up.

13. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    The most obvious visual parallell between OT and PT to me is the shot in AOTC where Anakin is standing at the farm just before he goes searching for Shmi. It's the same place where Luke watches the sunset in ANH. It may not look exactly the same but I think the similarities are there.

Great topic! The observation about Obi-Wan always being towered over is interesting :).

14. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    GL has won my respect back. I finally understand the PT.

This is excellent dude! =D=

Just think, GL didn't do anything different for you to discover this. Now where is that quote by GL when he said that after some time people would see things more positively (to put it simply).

Also there's the shot of Jake Lloyds Anakin pointing during the dinner table scene which mirrors Vader pointing

You bet. This was something I noticed from my 5th viewing of TPM in '99.

15. NZPoe

NZPoe Jedi Master star 4

Nov 21, 2001
    More Darth Solo we want more! :D

16. _dArTh_SoLo

Mar 11, 2002
    within the next three days I'll give it to ya!

be patient, because right now I'm running on zero hours of sleep from watching these DVD's.

That's the way to live baby!

I noticed something:

Luke: "NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

Obi Wan: "NOOOOOOOOO!"

very similair shots really. can't wait to post so many more pt/ot stuff...it is amazing.

17. SomeRandomNerd

SomeRandomNerd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    Excellent examples- I'm looking forward to seeing some more!

18. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Brilliant. Worthy of recognition in the archives of the Jedi.

MarcJordan likes this.
  19. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Very cool indeed. thanks for linking me to this on AIM.

Forcebewitya.

20. openmind

openmind Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 23, 2003
    The Anakin/Shmi pic gives me goosebumps. In other words my fav. so far here (not that the others aren't great). Bring it on _dArTh_SoLo! :)

21. Kitster aka Boba Fett

Kitster aka Boba Fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    Awesome stuff. I've always loved the parallels of Star Wars. It's one of the most intriguing things about the saga in my opinion.

22. QueenLeia

QueenLeia Jedi Youngling star 7

Aug 15, 2004
    Excellent parallels. If it one thing that I give SW (both OT and PT) is that it keeps to a common theme!

23. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    Also, the shot where Anakin looks up with hatred in his eyes after his mother has died, just before he kills the Tuskens, mirrors the shot of Luke looking up after lowering his head at seeing the homestead destroyed, and his aunt and uncle dead. Of course, Anakin's is in the dark with firelight on him - but Luke is outside in the daylight.

24. JMZ

JMZ Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2003
    Nice work, _dArTh_SoLo.

This makes me view the Saga with more admiration and respect than before.

25. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Not all the pics worked for me :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.