main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Volunteering at C3

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Sci-FiGal, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sci-FiGal

Sci-FiGal Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 7, 2004
    I've been reading here and there some things about volunteering at previous Celebrations and getting benefits... Are these just rumors? Does anyone have experience with this? Are there any facts about the possibility of volunteering at C3 yet? Anything, anyone?

2. Woofer

Woofer Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 27, 2001
    PM sent

3. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    i know a girl who volunteered at C:II and seemed to enjoy it quite a bit. she's w/ the indy fanforce (shara), but i don't think she comes around here anymore. i'm sure there are all different kinds of jobs, but she had to sit w/ amy allen at her autographing table.

4. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I'm volunteering to guard Hayden's Body!!! [face_love]

5. Sci-FiGal

Mar 7, 2004
    Cool. I'm sure I'd be happy with just about any job they gave me if I volunteered, but do you know if she got a special on a room? If there was a block of rooms already reserved? Special deals at the con itself? Not that doing something for the con isn't reward enough... but I guess to be more specific, are there any benefits when it comes to the money side of the con? (I know this kinda nullifies the idea of being a VOLUNTEER, but I'm greedy and cheep...)

Update: Well, getting pleanty of replies. My questions are basically answered: "no one knows yet". But if anyone would care to share stories and experiences, I would love to read them :) Thanks everyone!

6. Iwakura

Iwakura Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    since she lives in indy she didn't need a room, so i don't know about that. the only benefit i was aware of was free admission.

7. JediMaster22

JediMaster22 Jedi Knight star 8

Oct 15, 1999
    I like to Volunteer too!!!

But Will I miss any shows if I do? :(

8. zuckuss1138

zuckuss1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 26, 2001
    i was too young to volunteer last time, but most of the people that did missed the majority of shows.

9. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    If I am going to miss events then I won't do it. :(

10. Sci-FiGal

Mar 7, 2004
    Yeah, the more I'm learing, the less it seems worth it... I don't know yet, well... it's not like there isn't pleanty of time to decide.

11. JediMaster22

Oct 15, 1999
    Seriously if I can attend Events that I want to, and don't have to wait Long lines, I Will Volunteer!

I just can't miss Big events!

12. whojedi

whojedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 14, 2001
    Volunteering is a double-edge sword. Obviously, there was nothing better than getting to help out with alot of the behind-the-scene things (i.e. setting up the archive room), however, it does take away ALOT of time that you would normally use to get to see everything that you want to.

Alot of our volunteers were bummed after C2 cause they didn't get to see anywhere near all of the things the wanted to. There are a large number of volunteers needed, but that is because there is sooooooooo much stuff that has to be done. Alot of work, not alot of free time.

To me, that was fine. I enjoyed my time volunteering and did not mind missing out on some activities. Others did not feel the same.

So, all in all, just be careful what you wish for...you just might get it.

13. Theatrix

Theatrix Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 26, 2001
    Regarding volunteering,while some folks worked more hours most only pulled 4 hours a day. Also, if you want to talk about missing things, the biggest room at C3 holds 7,500 folks. 20,000 folks were at C2 on Saturday (approx), you do the math. Approx 2/3rds of ALL attendees are going to NOT FIT in the room. However, at C2, the ushers working each room got to see the event in it. So by working they actually got to see shows others missed. This is true for C3.

Yes, you will probably miss something, but everyone at C3 is going to "miss something" it is just simple mathmatics.

Theatrix

14. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    A few weeks ago our local club was contacted about volunteering at C3. However, I just received the following:

Volunteering positions for Star Wars celebration III have been "capped until further notice" from the Fan-Club. They inform us that they are currently re-evaluating their volunteer needs at the moment and will let us know if any more positions will be made available.

Anyone know what's going with this?

~H~

15. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Supposedly, there was only a call for about 250 volunteers, or so I heard. They hit that cap quickly and are just waiting to see if they'll need more, or if they can get more hotel rooms for discounts for the volunteers.

Or so I heard...

16. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Hum. That's interesting. I put on my registration thing that I would volunteer if needed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.