main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

War talk and moderation?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Lordban, Feb 28, 2022.

1. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    This message refers more specifically to the thread that discusses Russia, but might be applicable elsewhere in the JCC.

There have been a good few attacks at the person rather than at the argument flying these past few days on this topic, not all of them moderated and some of them quite popular...

Thus my question to moderation, about this tense topic, is whether there will be specific rules with regards to what is permissible on the topic of the ongoing Russia-Ukraine war, and whether there might be more leeway with the rules because of the volatile nature of the topic, or on the contrary harsher enforcement of the rules because of the volatile nature of the topic.

Thank you for your time.

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm going to ask the forum moderators to comment here.

jcgoble3, Dandelo, Lordban and 3 others like this.
  3. Lordban

Lordban Isildur's Bane star 7

Nov 9, 2000
    Appreciated. Thanks :)

4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    For the most part it seems your typical JC politics thread. No more or less catty than usual.
    What I did see though is one person constantly talking about how we are all gonna die in a nuclear war and others asking him to calm it a bit. Which is fair enough, A lot of people come on this board with a lot of mental anguish in their personal lives, the last thing they want to hear is constant 'the end is nigh' type posts.
    Saying that, the poster in question has agreed to calm things, so there's that

I did laugh at a former admin coming in saying 'this poster has been here a lot longer, they have connections' or some similar trite.

My meaningless two cents worth.

5. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    I don't think you understood it the way I meant it. It's nothing to do with connections in the way you described; it was and is about being around a long time and therefore being known by many. Alienating longtime members is an effective way of getting on the wrong side of a community. I've seen it happen repeatedly over the years here.

I don't do trite-- thank you.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
    Jedi_Goulden_25 and Coruscant like this.
  6. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    I knew exactly how you meant it, was still funny and irrelevant.

7. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    If you knew how I meant it, why did you give a different interpretation than what I just said that I meant?

If you want to be cleverer-than-thou, I guess that's your business.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2022
  8. Dandelo

Aug 25, 2014
    connection with other posters = connections

potato potahto.

If people want to interpret my paraphrasing in a godfather trilogy way that's on you not thinking highly of the IQ's of fellow posters.

Are we done?

9. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Tensions were understandably high in the first few days of war. Nerves seem to have settled now.

There is no need for policy change at this present time.

There are a few mods who are active participants in the thread. Should we miss any bad behaviour, use the report function to bring it to our attention.

Ava G. and Jedi_Goulden_25 like this.