main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Warehouse 13, latest effort of the Syphi- SyFy Channel

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jek_Windu, Jul 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jek_Windu

Jek_Windu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 26, 2003
    Series premiere this past Tuesday. I went in expecting a subpar X-Files/Fringe knock-off, and got a rather well-executed and funny story with genuinely quirky characters. Can't wait to see where this goes.

Perhaps, perhaps, there is hope for our resident channel of syphilis.

Official Site

2. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    I thought it was okay. The leads were pretty bland, but Saul Rubinek was excellent, and pilots are never a show's best work. Aside from Rubinek, I think the thing I like best about the series is that it's essentially about a Spec-Ops branch, for those of you who read Jasper Fforde.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I was kinda curious about this one, but it looks too overtly like something spawned from Eureka (I wouldn't be surprised to see them crossover, truth be told), and since I'm trying to be very discerning in adding any new shows to my Season pass Manager, but perhaps I'll check it out down the road if it manages to build to something special enough.

And I hereby propose every new SyFy show thread be tagged with "latest effort of the Syphi- SyFy Channel" ;)

4. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    I'll second that motion, Quest :p

Same here, which is why I didn't bother with it. I already have too many shows, but if I consistently hear rave reviews of it I'll check it out in the future. And on a tangential note, does this mean that Fringe is no longer just a subpar X-Files knock-off? Awesome :p

5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    From what I hear, Fringe has evolved into something worth seeing. I watched the first few episodes, and liked the show, but decided to drop it from my SPM ([face_thinking] ...Season Pass Manager, not Super Pursuit Mode) for the aforementioned intent of whittling down what i was watching. But I will likely check out Fringe on DVD and perhaps catch up. Will certainly do so before Warehouse 13, though.

Again, nothing against W13- it looks amusingly quirky, but it just looks too much like Fringe/XF-meets-Eureka.

6. ThrawnRocks

ThrawnRocks Jedi Master star 6

Apr 10, 2004
    Yeah, the show really came into its own in the second half of the season IMO and even made me want to go back and rewatch the earlier episodes. I just wasn't sure if people by and large agree that it's done enough to be considered more than just The X-Files revisited (I certainly do).

...sooooooo, about Warehouse 13... :p

7. Jek_Windu

Jan 26, 2003
    While the interaction between the leads is entertaining on W13, I think the factor that will keep people coming back week after week will be the mythology they've created for it. Maybe it's just me over analyzing, but I get the impressing that there is a lot of HSQ things that went on long before our two intrepid agents showed up.

After all, it was a mixture of characterization and intricate plot that turned Fringe from an X-Files knockoff into the one, long Crowning Moment of Awesome it has become.

8. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    Quest, you need to check out Fringe. It has an almost Whedon-esque slow start that actually all ties into the full mythology.

I didn't mind W13's start. The two leads have enough of a chemistry that they could really develop into a good pairing. The basis is a little worn, but it also has enough quirks and places to go that it will have the chance to develop into something good. My guess is that if it can avoid falling to a formulaic pattern then it should do decently.

9. Lord_Lahmien

Lord_Lahmien Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 19, 2008
    I just don't know about this one. I can always look passed the Scifi...Syphi..(sigh)..SyFy channels aweful made for TV movies with their painful CGI because at least I got BSG, SG1 etc in return but the latest attempts and series are just ugh. Don't they already have this show, Sanctuary is roughly the same premise swapping creatures for objects? I pray that SGU is... oh Lou Diamond Phillips is in it? What are we gonna do the new SyFy (worst name ever).

Edit: Fringe is Awesome!

10. Jedimarine

Jedimarine Force Ghost star 5

Feb 13, 2001
    It's a cross between Eureka and Sanctuary with an outside nod to Dr. Who fans.

It's canned scifi...budgeted on the cheap and delivered without care to a fanbase that are being downplayed as Syphi goes after the G4/Spike demographics (which is funny, because I think about 80% of that audience was their old audience...but whatever.)

I can't wait until SG-U launches with a 4 hour "World's blankiest blank" marathon following it up.

11. Jedi_Reject_Jesse

Jedi_Reject_Jesse Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 26, 2004
    I gave this show a chance...halfway into the 3rd episode i shut it off. Saul Rubinek is the best thing about the show, but even he couldn't save it for me. I liked the quirky devices and humor of the show - much like Eureka in that respect - but it simply didn't fit with the dark mystical vibe that the show is going for. It needs to choose one or the other. Also I haven't been impressed by the batch of "powerful objects of the week" we've been served up in these last few episodes. I was expecting more.

12. Jek_Windu

Jan 26, 2003
    You know what's really terrifying about Mrs. Frederick? If what we see on an episodic basis is the stuff she delegates, what kind of stuff does our fearless leader deal with day-to-day?

13. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    I've seen each episode thus far. I like it. I don't know that I'd grade it A+ just yet, but it's new and growing. (The first season of TNG has a few stinkers you know - so let's see how it progresses).

I confess I've not seen Sanctuary, and I've seen some Eureka - I don't know that I'd compare it to these shows so much. When I first saw Warehouse 13 my thought was "oh, this is like another Friday the 13th the Series", (if you guys recall that show).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.