main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

* WARNING * Mature themes within -- Rainbow stickers and lightsabers, Challange issued!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBreezy, Aug 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    As was brought up in the 'gay fanfic' thread, there are a lot of authors who like to deal with things that run a bit deeper than what we are initially shown by GL and co. This thread is a place to discuss these more mature ISSUES.

1) This is NOT a place to disscuss the forum standards, including but not limited to:

Limits of DEPICTION of such things as sexual content, violance levels or homosexuality at TF.N We all know what they are (if not, please reaquaint yourself with the FAQ.)

2) "It doesn't belong here at TF.N (or anywhere else)."

The stories themselves might not be alowed here, but Mature disscussion of said same topics is fine. If you don't like/read it fine, but please respect those that do. Prolatising and flaming will get you banned here just as easily as any other thread.

3) No LINKING of off site material that exceeds the limits such as places that have Same sex fan fic, NC-17 or other content. This would be a violation of TF.N's TOS and is prohibited. People can PM you for relevant links.

4) If you are posting in this thread, I assume you are mature enough to post reasonable and well though out things as apposed to "I like stories that show everything *giggle*" (You get the idea.)

If you dislike this topic of discussion, please hit the 'back' button now.

PM me with new Topics of discussion, and if they aren't far beyond the pale, we'll open them up to discussion.

Thanks.

We'll start this with a new topic probably on Monday...

Addendum Oct 6th

There have been some AMAZING fics spawned by this disscusion, all of which fall very nicely into the guidelines and limituses of our TOS, this isn't a challenge to them, but a chance for people who can stretch their boundries without crossing the lines...

2. LadyMairead

LadyMairead Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2002
    Thanks for posting this, Breezy. I'll definitely be interested in the discussion.

3. Angel_of_Sith

Angel_of_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 10, 2002
    I' be interested in participating in this discussion.

. . gay fanfic forever . .

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I tend to write violent fics, so I can probably use this discussion.

5. ivylore2

ivylore2 Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Good idea, Breezy!

6. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    I tend to push the limits of language, with my favorite word, "arse", coming up more than a few times in every chapter. [face_mischief]

I also deal with other mature themes (well, some might say immature), like cross-dressing pilots, and self image issues.

You can bet I'll be hanging around here and looking for what everyone here has to say. :)

So, when do we get a first topic of discussion?

Jae Angel

7. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Oh, my - I do love new cans of big fat worms! You would do this just as I've come to a decision to retire from these boards - for my own personal reasons . . . so . . . maybe I'll hang around for a while - just to hear what mature minds are thinking.

CYN

8. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    *passes PoolBoy over to Breezy*

You deserve him for awhile--you've kept CYN from leaving. :D

9. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    I think I'll only lurk for the first half before adding my two cents :D

~aeryn

10. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    QUOTE: 3) No LINKING of off site material that exceeds the limits such as places that have Same sex fan fic, NC-17 or other content. This would be a violation of TF.N's TOS and is prohibited. People can PM you for relevant links.

just a quick question. what about sites with rated R fan fic? Am I okay to post a link to that in my siggy or profile or do I have to have people PM me for it?

11. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    You have to have people PM you for it.

If it can't be posted here, you can't link to it from here, either.

12. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    Good topic, Breezy. You said everything in the "rules" section that I was going to say. If you don?t agree with this topic, please ignore this thread.

I?ll be keeping a close eye on this topic and moderating for the usual things.

Just to reiterate, no linking to anything that isn?t allowed on these boards. A_g got the answer right, anyway ;).

Am [face_love]

13. spiritgurl

spiritgurl Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 6, 2003
    okie dokie. That's what Ithought, just checking as it didn't say that at the top in this thread.

thanks

14. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    I'll be keeping my eye on it too :)

Although I think it's a great topic DB, and I'll definitely be joining in~!

Kithera

15. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
    I'll be joining in. A couple of my readers have said I've gone a little too 'evil' in my Eternity series, a little too 'dark'. It will be interesting to see what pops up here.

16. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    *hugs tjp* You know *I* like it when you're evil! ;) [face_devil]

Jae Angel

17. the_jedi_princess

the_jedi_princess Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2002
  18. Darth_Fruitcake

Darth_Fruitcake Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2001
    I've dabbled here and there in the "Dark Side" myself, having written some fanfic concerning deep levels of angst, violence, etc. This should prove to be an interesting thread.

19. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    It stuck me on the way home from work:

Intamacy and its effects:

I wrote a piece that delt with this subject as an underlying problem for my beloved Anakin and his Padme. In THAT piece, Anakin withdrew and withheld from Padme because of underlying problems of... well... suffice to say the end result was that he Physicly pulled away for a while... as anyone whos been in a long term physical relationship knows, this can be a big problem when it happens... all sorts of issues come up.

But this ISN'T only about sexual intamacy... Anakin and Obi-Wan, Obi-Wan and Qui-gon... they were intimate in thier own way... freinds, family, lovers, trusted mentors... what happens when one party 'pulls away'? How does it FEEL to the characters in question? How can we (as writers) convey this without going over the top and into whine and cheese country?

See if I've scared you all off with this one.

[face_devil]

20. anakin_girl

Oct 8, 2000
    Good one. :)

Got to run to work myself but I'll think on this one some more.

21. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    This is a well thought out topic. I will think about the question, although I'm still new to fanfic, and haven't really delved into these issues yet, but I will be soon. Hopefully, it won't take me forever to think.

--later--

22. DarthSnuggles1121

DarthSnuggles1121 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    Great topic, Breezy. :)

I think the issue of "pulling away" in an intimate (sexual, mentorly, or platonic) relationship can lead to some fantastic angst, but like Breezy said, you need to watch your step lest you fall into the Land of Whine and Cheese. It is possible to get to a point of too much angst (as a lover of angst, I know this well ;) ). A writer must be able to recognize that line and tread cautiously around it.

I personally find the romantic aspect more intrieging (then again, I love romantic angst ;) ). It would especially be interesting with Anakin and Padmé, considering all the passion in their relationship. And we all know the raging emotions that Anakin feels... but again, there's a difference between good angst and whining.

I don't think any of that was exactly relevant... but I'll come back when I have something more or less intelligent to add to the conversation. Feel free to ignore me until then. :p

23. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Intimacy is a tricky issue when you are writing to a PG audience. My fic particularly deals with the developing relationship between Jaina and Jag. I am sure on occasion I have skirted the line but try to remain true to the intent of the boards mandate, which is to keep the writing clean enough for all to read. In doing so, I remember that the 'older' audience is able to read more into your writing. Many things are simply implied without stating.

I like to confront my characters with real life problems, so I show them in all facets of life. In one chapter, I dealt, very carefully mind you, with the issue of the couple renewing their sexual intimacy after childbirth - a very real issue that confronts many couples. In doing so I reflected the characters as real and showed them as capable of wrestling with issues that are universal to humans. The trick was to show the fear or nervous tension between the pair and then show how they resolved the issue without getting into the details.

I chose to show the tension through a sparring session where the couple worked against each other. The end of that scene showed Jaina trying to be affectionate, and Jag dismissing her advances. The scene was intimate enough to get the point across, kissing being the expression of intimacy, without being overt about her intentions. I have to admit I got PM's from some younger readers who could not figure out why Jag walked away so suddenly, but the older readers got the point without needing to be overly descriptive. The resolution for the characters occurred a day later in the story. Neither character expressly voiced their fears but enough was implied in the conversation to illustrate the problem. The 'solution' was implied again without being explicit or crossing the line.

I think this is a great topic DB. I think others are debating how to broach the subject. I just thought I would get the ball rolling. It might be useful for people to show examples of how they write intimate scenes, but that may be off-topic or too detailed so I will leave that up to your discretion.

24. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    I don't want to have this turn into a 'plug your own fic' thread,*1 but that was the central theme of one of my works (If you want to read it PM me). In that case, Anakin's withdrawl of intamacy lead to some interesting interaction (at least in my eyes)... as usual, I was surprised by how the characters reacted/interacted. It can become (in any relationship) either a 'challange' to re-establish the relationship.. no, that's not the word I'm looking for... it can serve as a wonderful theme and a jumping off point for other issues... Trust and belief being the core of them...

As a Side note.. don't think the topics are going to get any easier!! I have a few rattleing around that I'll bring up later. I want people to question their motivations... to expand their horizons when it comes to writing. There are some VERY gifted writers here. The idea of a "Mature themes" challange might be possible... LATER*2... we'll see how it goes.

Edit

*1 TKL a case of GMTA... I was writing my posty at the same time you were!
    If we try to site specifics, we may have people just posting 'their' pieces as self promotion disguised as disscusion.

*2 This would most likely be taken off site as discussion of said same is one thing... Writing such stories would be another. Please bear in mind that I only make this point now as an option for a later date. I want to see discussion on the topic at hand!! Come one guys and galls, did I scare ya off? :p

25. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    DB - I agree on the worry that others may use the site as a place to plug. Well, everyone knows they can look in the links or PM individuals for examples.

I am surprised at the slow response to this topic, although the boards have been slow in general today. I hope more people get into the topic because it's worth hashing out...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.