main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Well, if you do it as an AU, where Padme rejects Anakin's attentions because she has a crush on Typho, then it would be back to a triangle.

2. MotionWright

MotionWright Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 15, 2007
    Padmé and Dormé competing for a man's attentions? Now that I would like to see. It would be interesting to see Typho trying to mediate the catfights, only to be caught in the crossfire. :D

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    That would definitely put a damper on Dorme's loyalty as a handmaiden. :p

4. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    I'd like to think that neither Padme nor Dorme would be the kind of characters that would sacrifice their friendship over a man.

I know it?s ?in? but Anakin (or any other character) bashing is not acceptable on this thread. We won?t want to alienate the Anakin fans, though they are the minority on fandom. :p

5. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Nothing I said was intended to bash any character, and I'm sorry if it was construed as such.

And essentially, I agree with you that neither Padme nor Dorme would sacrifice their friendship over a man. But, if you do an AU and/or a parody... ooh, have there been any AU parodies? :p ... then I could see Padme and Dorme getting catty.

6. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    No offence meant, none taken. :) I like good-natured banter as much as the next person but I have to see that it's kept to an amicable level.

I like the idea of that parody. [face_thinking] That'll probably be a good idea for the next WQGL story challenge. :D

7. MotionWright

Mar 15, 2007
    Who said anything about bashing? I just think it would be nice to have a wider variety of pairings involving Padmé.

Are they? I never noticed. ;) Anyway, should I remind everyone that this is not an exclusive Anakin/Padmé fanboard? I think the people who are going to be alienated because I said this pairing isn't the only interesting possibility need to learn to hear other opinions without reacting defensively.

If we're talking about canon, Padmé and Dormé do put their duty before everything else (at least until Padmé decides to get married :p). That doesn't mean there can't be buried resentment or jealousy, as long as it doesn't interfere with duty. But in an AU, I can see this animosity being acted upon more openly.

The handmaidens aren't clones programmed to obey without thinking, and Padmé's involvement with a man may very well have caused division among them. I'm sure they had things to say about her relationship with Anakin.

In these circumstances, I can see the handmaidens splitting in three groups:

a) Padmé's true friends, i.e. those who look out for her well-being first, and who aren't afraid to disagree with her if they think she's putting herself in danger;
    b) Those to who friendship means agreeing with her and supporting her even if she's wrong;
    and
    c) Those who are jealous. ;)

In a fic, this is our chance to show that the handmaidens have individual personalities, and to assess the dynamics of each handmaiden's relationship with Padmé.

8. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    See how easy it is to forget about Anakin?

^That to an Anakin fan is bashing. I know it's acceptable in other threads *cough*Palpatine thread*cough* but it's not in this one.

[face_cowboy] You certainly don't need to remind me. [face_whistling] This thread is all for discussing possibilities of Padmé's character. It is not for shipping battles and how Padmé would be so much better with Obi-Wan or Typho or Chewbacca, because of how horrible (or forgettable) Anakin or Palpatine or Yoda is. Capish?

Hopefully that's out of the way. I like active discussion on this thread and you've raised some very good points.

I'd go as far as to say that it needn't be in an AU. I think jealousy/resentment goes hand in hand with affection in a lot of same-sex relationships: male or female. We all know the story of Esau & Jacob, the brothers of Joseph, etc. etc.

So yes, I can see all of her handmaidens/friends envying things in Padmé's life. As a general rule, when I write Padmé/Sola or Padmé/handmaiden stories, there's always that green eyed monster swimming in the depths - on both sides. I see Padmé envying Sola for her handsome, not-secret husband and adorable children and generally uncomplicated life. I see her envying her handmaidens for their more exciting jobs and obscurity. Heck, I even see her envying Queen Jamillla for having her old job with all the glamour and mystery that surrounded it.

The trick is always balance. And setting up a story where that balance tips and the resentment spills.

[face_dancing] I'd love to see that explored via fic!

9. MotionWright

Mar 15, 2007
    Okay, I get it. You should write it in block letters in the thread's subject: JOKING NOT ALLOWED.

Ah, yes, I know what you're talking about. You have no idea how much that annoyed me. [face_frustrated] No, actually, I think you do - I was far from silent about it.

Contrarily to that^, my comment about Anakin was a joke. I didn't realise it could offend anyone, and if it did, I'm sorry. [face_blush] I'll watch myself from now on.

I'm glad to hear that. ;)

Edit:
    It's interesting that you should mention Jamillia. I think Padmé was relieved to no longer carry the burdens of being Queen, but there must have been times when she was frustrated with Jamillia's decisions and thought she could have done better. It's stated somewhere in the EU that the reason why Jamillia is no longer Queen by ROTS is that she was removed when she considered siding with the Separatists, and Padmé persuaded the 12-year-old Apailana to run in the election to replace her. Ironically, Jamillia wouldn't be the first leader Padmé (indirectly?) removed from power.

10. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    I'm curious to know where in the EU the you saw/heard that? As I'm so fond of asking "Reference, please."[face_thinking]

11. MotionWright

Mar 15, 2007
    I said "somewhere in the EU" because I have read very little in the Extended Universe, and most of my knowledge of it comes from Wookieepedia. I got this particular piece of information from the Wookieepedia entry on Queen Apailana, which cites as its sources the Star Wars Visual Dictionaries (among other things):

While Apailana was serving as the Princess of Theed in 20 BBY, Queen Jamillia had begun to side with the Separatists, so Apailana called for an election. Senator Padmé Amidala convinced the young princess to run for queen herself and Apailana won.

12. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Yeah, I did a little researching there after my last post and saw that, but it also had a question mark after the citation, which puts the implication in doubt.

13. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    I also see a fourth option:

d) Jealous, yet still loyal even if it hurts.

14. MotionWright

Mar 15, 2007
    There's a question mark on Jamillia's page, not on Apailana's, where the same information is repeated. But I too would like to know where they got those facts. I'll get back to you when I buy the Star Wars Visual Dictionary.

Alexis_Wingstar, that's a very likely option. I only said they're jealous, not that they act on their jealousy. ;)

15. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    MotionWright: Ah, I just thought since the other two options were real friends and basically "yes-men", that you were talking about more open jealousy

16. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    I've had this idea for a long time but I wanted to wait until after the Awards to re-vive the thread. Needless to say, I stole this idea from the Palpy thread. :p

NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC!

Is there a Padmé story you would like to read but have never seen anyone post?

This could be either fanfic or profic or even something you wished was in the movies or the Clone Wars cartoons. Have fun!

17. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    I don't know if this has been done, but I'd love a story about Padme, living and raising the twins in hiding with help from Obi and Bale. They'd grow up to be Jedi and along with Padme join the Rebellion.

18. MotionWright

Mar 15, 2007
    I would like to see more stories about Padmé's childhood. I find it surprising that there is so little in the EU about her life before she became queen, or about how she became queen. I'd like to see that explored both in pro and fan fic.

19. WQGL

WQGL Jedi Youngling

Dec 24, 2005
    Sounds like we should put together a Padmé Stories Index to help readers find stories they may be looking for, but haven't found. I'll be willing to put it together if you would like. :)

EDIT: Whoops, wait a minute. I found the old index for Padmé Amidala, but that is locked. Should I start a new one?

EDIT 2: Of course we could always ask AngelQueen to unlock it. (although it does need some help in updating and such)

20. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Funny you should say that, I'm actually working on a storyline similar to that which I will start posting near the end of this year or the beginning of next year.

I'm with MotionWright in wishing to read more about Padme's childhood.

21. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Ooh, that's a nice one!! I'd love to see what you come up with, Alexis.

I'd love to see any EU novel focused on Padmé at all! What I'd particularly like to see in fan fiction are more stories of Padmé as Queen of the Naboo, before and after the Trade Federation invasion. I'd especially be interested in alternate reality stories where Padmé made different decisions as Queen, e.g. if she chose to be remain in office after her second term.

Probably best to ask her to unlock it and then help her update it, I think. I'm sure a lot of us will find an up-to-date index useful.

22. Minela

Minela Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 28, 2005
    I would like to read a story about Padme refusing Anakin's proposal. I would like to read about him turning to the Dark Side for a different reason and doing all the horrible things and have her still around, I also want Anakin to have defeated Palpatine and not have been burned on Mustafar. I want him to be the Emperor, evil and ruthless...and than have her be the reason of his redemption. Sort of like a Beauty and the Beast story. I know I have seen some stories with this plot, but frankly I didn't bother reading because they were a) too mushy or b) badly written. I would like to see an author who writes dark fiction do this. Actually I would like it to also be an erotic story, so I guess it doesn't belong at the TFN.

23. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Gina is writing a story with a very similar plot line. You can click on her bio and look for it. I think it's called "More than I Can Give."

She's a great writer, so anything of hers is bound to be great. I'm reading it myself and give it an A++! :D

24. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I would love to see a well developed story where Padme survived after ROTS, whether she got up and left on Mustafar or survived the childbirth. What would she have done that would be true to the character Lucas created? How would she protect her children?

In the first two movies, she was this strong, brave woman who didn't run away from conflict and at the end of ROTS, she just gave up. Granted having the love of your life turn to the darkside and Force choke you unconscious would be devastating, but I really believe the Padme written in the first two movies would have survived that even without the twins.

25. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Ooh, that sounds fascinating. I'll recommend Padlei's Shattered Glass. It's one of the best post-RotS Vader/Padmé stories have come across, with all major characters written very 3-dimensionally. The writer in question does a marvellous job of writing Padmé.

Thanks VaderLVR64. Here's the link, Minela : More Than I Can Give. (Actually, I think this story isn't exactly what she's looking for. It's a post-AotC/Clone Wars story, for one and Anakin isn't yet Vader. But it's still a very, very good read - Gina's stories invariably are and it's actually completed which is a plus! :D )

I think indiefic's Sins of the Father is a good attempt of that. It starts 16 years after the end of RotS with Padmé, who has been in exile on Tatooine all the se years, finally returning to Coruscant and her husband because Luke believes he can save his father.

More recs:

WQGL's The Life and Times of Padmé Amidala is essentially Padme's biography and there are a lot of stories about her life there. Even better is a round robin and I know they are looking for writers to join.

Here are the young Padmé stories that were written as a response to past challenges and they can be found in the Before the Saga Challenge thread.

2004 December Challenge (BftS): Holidays in School.

Last Days at home by MissPadme
    Last Days at home by DarthIshtar
    Twirrling by Knight-Ander
    Last Days at home by nadenaberrie

2004 September Challenge (BftS): Padmé's last days at home before she becomes Princess of Theed.

Finals Season by bobilll
    Holidays in School by nadenaberrie

Note: Everyone else should please rec a story that you think fits the description of another person's search and if it doesn't, feel free to use that as plot bunny! [face_mischief]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.