main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Characters Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - NEW DISCUSSION TOPIC Is Padmé a Mary Sue?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by leia_naberrie, Sep 10, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    :D Hi y'all! :D I've been on holidays for a week guys! I am so sorry that I didn't drop a note before I left. It looks like if I abandoned the thread and that's the last thing I would want to do!

nadenaberrie:Just wondering when another challenge thread will be up... I was rather disappointed that I missed this last one; I lost the story that I'd typed up and just found it on a floppy yesterday, alas, it's not September anymore.

Like Ander said, you can still post your entry but try to do it before Tuesday. You're right - October demands a new challenge! :D

DarthIshtar: I'd love another challenge. Maybe her before getting married? Or her when the Trade Federation came?

Or the last time she sees Anakin, NSA?

Those are some terrific ideas Ish! I know you certainly have some wonderful ideas to wrap around that one. What does every one else think? :D

2. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    I like the idea of Padme right before the Trade Federation. There's that scene in Ep I where she's just standing in front of the window... what is she thinking?

3. Jedi_Bant

Jedi_Bant Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 13, 2004
    New challenge... what about a horror story to celebrate Halloween?

4. Dantana Skywalker

Dantana Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 7, 2002
    You should indicate in the thread title that this discussion may contain Episode III spoilers.

Dana

5. nadenaberrie

nadenaberrie Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2004
    I like the pre-TF invasion idea, but a Halloween (or similar Naboo holiday) piece would be fun to write too... :)

6. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Ah well! It is October after all. I decided that the new challenge should be something Halloweenish...

[face_devil]

Challenge #2:

In the spirit of Halloween, a scary story -

Rules -

1. Must be either The Saga or Beyond the Saga
    2. Must star Ryoo or Pooja - one of Padme's nieces
    3. Must contain the words
    i. 'silver hair'
    ii. 'nerf'
    iii. 'shed'
    4. Must be scary! [face_devil]

All entries must be up on or before Halloween night! :D

7. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Did you start a thread for The Saga and Beyond the Saga, l_n?

Or should we just post them individually and put links to them here?

Wait, I just found the Beyond the Saga thread for this challenge.

And I just found the The Saga thread for the challenge.

Okay Gang, that's where they go. Have fun! [face_pumpkin] [face_pumpkin]

8. nadenaberrie

Sep 12, 2004
    Woo hoo! I love Ryoo and Pooja! :) Awesome challenge, l_n!

9. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    So what is the new topic of discussion?

10. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Thanks Ander! :*

Re: new discussion. [face_blush] I hadn't really thought that far ahead... Does any one have any ideas? [face_worried]

11. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    Well since we're discussing horror stories what about Obidala? !%&^&^!

12. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    AUUUUUUUUUUGH!

13. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    LOL! :eek: My sentiments exactly, Ish. ;)

But Jedi_Bant, that's really not a bad idea for a Halloweenish discussion topic. :p

So let's do it people:

New discussion topic:

What are the real possibilities for Obidala? [face_laugh] I know, I know [face_laugh] the initial reaction will be 'ugh...' 'no way'... [face_sick] :p But sans Anakin, if Padme had never met Skywalker... Is there any kind of basis for a relationship between her and Obi-Wan Kenobi? Or anyone else for that matter? What kind of love life would Padme have had if she had never cross paths with Anakin Skywalker, all other things remaining equal?

14. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    One way the Skywalker relationship could have been prevented would have to start with a successful Jedi negotiation with the Trade Federation to end the blockade of Naboo. Without the Trade Federation's invasion, the queen wouldn't have to break the bockade in an escape to Coruscant when her ship was subsequently damaged. Not going to Tatooine opens up the greater possibility of an Obidala, but the Jedi would most likely leave with just the gratitude of the young queen the moment their job was done, not allowing time for a hint of a relationship to develop. I don't think Amidala would be the type of person who, when she needs Jedi for help, would request "That cute Jedi with the cleft in his chin." :p

Another theory I just thought of would be that she doesn't get elected. Darth Sidious planned to take advantage of her inexperience and passiveness when he ordered the blockade. If King Veruna or someone else was in power, there would probably have been a good chance that Sidious would have done things differently. Although she may stick with politics as a future occupation, she would still be young and might even have a chance to rekindle the flame she had with that Palo kid. Or not. :D

15. nadenaberrie

Sep 12, 2004
    *buries head in hands* Oh, I knew we'd come to this eventually! :oops:

I think my biggest objection to Obidala is that a romantic relationship would be completely out of character for both Padme and Obi-Wan. Remember how much persuasion it took to convince Padme to fall for Ani ? We must take into consideration that both Padme and Obi-Wan are extremely devoted to their work, and neither situation allows for a romantic relationship (we'll see the signs of this in RotS).

And, I mean, come on, the most affectionate line Padme-wise to come from Obi-Wan is "She was pleased to see us" with that cutesy dimpled grin of his. :) Now, let's compare that to, say...

"...not a day has gone by when I haven't thought of you. And now that I'm with you again, I'm in agony... you are in my very soul, tormenting me..."

*shakes head* Sorry, folks. I'm a hard-core believer in the Devil's Triangle. Ani/Ami is the only romantic involvement that works, if only for a brief time.

16. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    Now that is horror. [face_sick]

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I think their temperaments are much more aligned than Anakin and Padme, but that it would be out of character. I think they're both too sensible, but I could see it happening after the purges, when she's a "widow" and their lives have fallen apart and all they have left is each other.

18. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    When it comes to Obidala, the thing is, in the movie, I didn't see Anakin and Padme having too much chemistry. The fireplace scene didn't move me at all. I was pretty much erked everytime I saw Anakin and Padme together.

Obidala, is just the possiblity of a relationship, if nothing else. I believe the reason the 'ship started was because some people thought Attack of the Clones was going to be a love triangle between Anakin/Padme/Obi-Wan. That was the original basis for the relationship.

As an Obidala 'shipper myself, I see Obi-Wan and Padme as a bigger forbidden love since we all know Anakin and Padme are gonna end up together anyway. If we didn't know about the original trilogy here, it might be a different story.

~aeryn

19. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002
    Hello, AERYN-SUN! Glad to see you on this thread! :D
    Definitely a triangle would have added some more depth to the mystery of Luke and Leia's mother.... I certainly can understand why some OT fans were looking forward to something like that in AotC.

nadenaberrie:I think my biggest objection to Obidala is that a romantic relationship would be completely out of character for both Padme and Obi-Wan.
    Yes, there would have to be some stronger circumstances than merely having Obi-Wan take her to Naboo for her protection. Sort of like Ander's reasons:

Another theory I just thought of would be that she doesn't get elected. Darth Sidious planned to take advantage of her inexperience and passiveness when he ordered the blockade. If King Veruna or someone else was in power, there would probably have been a good chance that Sidious would have done things differently. Although she may stick with politics as a future occupation, she would still be young and might even have a chance to rekindle the flame she had with that Palo kid. Or not

If the events of TPM had not occured the way they did? Yes, certainly because that was when Fate more or less brought the two together. If Anakin was raised in the Temple from Initiate age - or if Padme's ship had never landed on Tatooine... It would certainly have decreased the chances of the two lovers meeting. Then what kind of relationship would Padme have had... with Obi-Wan, Palo, Bail? Would she still be one half of a passionate relationship or would she keep her head in her love life?

20. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    I don't think Padme would have ever experienced the passionate love between her and Anakin with any otherman. She's a passionate woman by nature, but she's such a self-sacrificing one that I see her getting married for political reasons for alliance, not for love. It would be hard to have any passion in that kind of union. She'd probably love her husband very, very much, or rather as much as she thinks she does, but it would be affectionate, sibling love, the love of good friends, not the burning passion she has for Anakin.

21. nadenaberrie

Sep 12, 2004
    Aha! Someone mentioned Bail... [face_idea]

See, there's a relationship I can see happening. They're both politicians, and I could definitely see there being a mutually beneficial marriage there. From what I've read, Alderaan and Naboo have always had similar values and political views, so I've always figured that they were allies. As I said before, Padme is extremely devoted to public service, and if marrying a generous, kind, handsome man like Bail Organa would help the Naboo cause, would she hesitate? Not likely-- that is, until Anakin comes into the picture.

As for Palo, I don't think that relationship would have gone anywhere had Anakin been absent from her life. From the way she spoke of him in the meadow, he was more a pre-teen crush than an actual love interest. But who knows? It would make for some interesting AU's.

22. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    the mention of Obidala caught my attention.

~aeryn

23. Jedi_Bant

Apr 13, 2004
    I don't see her falling for Obi-Wan, no matter the circumstances. I think Bail would have probably been a choice, but I don't know him that well...

24. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I think that Anakin and Padme had a LOT of chemistry. Probably too much. THe scene by the fireplace is awkward, due in some part to the stilted dialogue. But you also have to keep in mind that Anakin is a 19 year old kid with a huge crush, in one way, but in another he is a man who has learned to use amazing powers and has been an adult for years due to his childhood. She is a woman trying to maintain her hold on commonsense. Their chemistry is so powerful that I think it overwhelms them and they marry, even though they know there is absolutely no way to keep it a secret long term. The stuff is going to hit the fan eventually, and they both know it.

But love makes you do crazy things. Chemistry is hard to fight. When I met my huband I was engaged. But the moment I met him I KNEW I would marry him. I went home, called my fiance, who was out of the country) and broke the engagement. Because I knew I didn't have any right to get married if I could feel that way about someone I had just met. Long story short, we began dating and married 10 months later. We still have that chemistry so even when he makes me absolutely NUTS, I still think WOW! I can't imagine not being with him. I think for Padme it was the same thing. No matter how impossible it was to have him she could not imagine NOT having him as her husband.

Anakin wasn't thinking at all. He just decided that he loved her, she loved him, and to heck with the consequences.

The only time I can see Obi/Padme together would be after it all falls apart. I see them more as friends who develop a closer relationship due to what they have in common.

I can see Padme marrying for political reasons if it came down to it.

Okay, I've rambled long enough.

25. leia_naberrie

Sep 10, 2002

VaderLV: Says who? You should ramble more often! :D Lordy, that is some love story. I'm still a long way from that kind of committment but I hope I have something like that. I know that if I ever met someone that I had that kind of connection with - we'd walk down the altar before the end of the month. Maybe that's why I can empathize with Anakin and Padme so much.

I think for Padme it was the same thing. No matter how impossible it was to have him she could not imagine NOT having him as her husband.

Nuff said. ;)

Bant:
    I don't think Padme would have ever experienced the passionate love between her and Anakin with any otherman. She's a passionate woman by nature, but she's such a self-sacrificing one that I see her getting married for political reasons for alliance, not for love. It would be hard to have any passion in that kind of union. She'd probably love her husband very, very much, or rather as much as she thinks she does, but it would be affectionate, sibling love, the love of good friends, not the burning passion she has for Anakin.
    I tend to agree to. I've always been drawn to that powerful pull between Padme and Anakin in the movies. There's something very ... indescribable about their connection. Like VaderLV said, their chemistry is one of a kind and completely irresistible. You don't have that kind of connection with two people.

Like nadenaberrie, I also tend to see a strong bond between Padme and Bail forming - if Anakin was not in the picture, that is. Although admittedly we don't know so much about him - the movies haven't given us all that information, unfortunately, but we get the impression that he is a good,caring, principled man, not very unlike Padme herself.

AERYN_SUN: Obidala fans are more than welcome here! :D As long as you are a Padme fan, that's all that's required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.