main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was Amidala's name symbolic of Anakin's fall?

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by adamlee, Dec 26, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. oliviagoddess

oliviagoddess Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2005
    "Padmé" is Sanskrit for "lotus flower," while "Amidala" is "spiritual manifestation". From the sacred mantra of Tibetan Buddhists, "Om Mani Padme Hum" ("Oh jewel in the lotus"). The lotus flower starts as a small flower down at the bottom of a pond in the mud and muck. It slowly grows up towards the waters surface continually moving towards the light. Once it come to the surface of the water the lotus flower begins to blossom and turn into a beautiful flower. Within Hinduism and Buddhism the lotus flower has become a symbol for awakening to the spiritual reality of life. The lotus inspires the person, that whenever faced with trouble and no matter how dark the waters may get, she will rise above and let the beautiful flower in them bloom as long as they have a pure and sincere heart. The Indian people see it as a message from the gods "to be detached from material preoccupations".

I would say that Padme was destined to be with Anakin. She is his spirit, the goodness in him and when she was threatened (by his own actions) he fell and stayed down.

2. DMan304

DMan304 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    I have a headache. [face_tired]

You guys make me feel stupid.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    Vader is the Dutch word for father. I also heard some where that the name Anakin is derived from "an qin" which is the Chinese word for invader.

4. Obi-Chron

Obi-Chron Jedi Master star 4

Nov 11, 2003
    At THIS LINK we find the following scholarly snippet regarding the root 'Amida' of (Padme) 'Amidala.'

"Amida, the Buddha of Everlasting Light, was a previous incarnation of Siddhartha Gautama, the Buddha. In the previous incarnation, as a bodhisattva, he refused to accept Buddhahood unless he could grant eternal happiness in the Pure Land to whoever called on him; 1 this compassionate promise was called the "Original Vow."

". . . above all else, the shift to Amidism represents a shift from a religion which stresses individual effort aimed at enlightenment to an exclusive reliance on salvation by the Amida; this opened up Buddhism to all classes, including women, who had previously been excluded from the various Buddhist priesthoods."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.