main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Was anyone able to reserve a room at the 'regular' Marriott?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by Jace Darkrider, Sep 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jace Darkrider

Jace Darkrider Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 1998
    Was wondering if anyone was able to get a room at the Marriott Downtown with the skywalk? I skimmed through and haven't seen anyone saying they are staying there. Only the Courtyard. Is this hotel marked as special (staff or guests) as well, like the Hyatt is for volunteers?

2. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Helloooooooo??? I take the lack of response as a no. Or did I miss a thread somewhere talking about this? Anyone. Bueller. Anyone?

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Well, the 'priceline bunch' (Ie Mos Erriot) is at 501 West Washington Street, that's right across from the convention center. The Other Marriot ('At the Capitol) is 4 blocks away...

4. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Actually, there's a Marriott that's practically across the road from the Courtyard (at least, according to Sebulba-X's map):
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/Sebulba/IK_indymap.jpg

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    So there are 3!!!!!

LOLOLOL!

6. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    The Marriot he is talking about is the Indy Marriot Downtown. This hotel has the skywalk to the convention center. Most of my AFF group stayed there for C2.

7. Darth_Raptor

Darth_Raptor Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 21, 2002
    WVFF was able to get into the Indy Marriot Downtown with the skywalk. I think luck had more to do with it then anything though.

EDIT: We got the room through GenCon

8. Jace Darkrider

Dec 30, 1998
    Thanks all! Yeah, I am talking about the Indy Marriott Downtown, which is right across from the convention center. I stayed there for CII and wanted to stay there for CIII. But I haven't found anyone who was able to get a room there through Gen-Con. I reserved directly with the hotel, but the price is $284 a night and I am staying the 20th-25th! Ouch, my wallet is already hurting. :(

Ian

9. Master_Bush

Master_Bush Jedi Youngling

Sep 30, 2004
    My wife and I were able to get a room at the Indianapolis Marriott Downtown through Gen-Con, and we only paid $151 a night.

10. jediadigallia

jediadigallia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    I was able to get a room at the Downtown Marriott through Gen Con. I stayed at the Omni for C3. I liked the convenience of the connected walkways, but it still felt a little risky walking back to the hotel late at night by myself. I wanted to stay at the Marriott for safety reasons, more than anything else. My ability to get through to Gen Con had a little to do with patience, but was probably due to luck, like Darth_Raptor posted. I'd rather be lucky than good any day!

11. Star_Wars_Guy

Star_Wars_Guy Jedi Youngling

Sep 28, 2004
    Yep, we got a room there on the first try through Gen Con. No problems at all.

12. ZeroCool69

ZeroCool69 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2002
    I'll be there as well. We were able to get most of the Pittsburgh FanForce in there, but unfortunately, not all of them. Two of our members just missed them selling out of rooms, so they had to go to the Courtyard Marriot. It's close (across the street I hear/was told.) Maybe, hopefully, if some rooms open up or people canel or what-have-you, they'll be able to move into the "regular" Marriot.

13. MzAmethystCrow

MzAmethystCrow Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 14, 2001
    I'll be there. :) I was at a different hotel last time, but it still had a skywalk. I'm only paying $151 a night. :)

14. Darkcede

Darkcede Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2004
    I was able to get a room through Gen Con too. Did anyone here stay at this Marriott during CII? I was just wondering how it works with lining up to get in with having access to a skywalk. Can we line up in the skywalk or do we have to wait down in the fan club (or non fan club) line?

Thanks

15. jediadigallia

jediadigallia Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 10, 2004
    I'm fairly certain that everyone has to wait down on the street. I don't remember seeing anyone having access to the convention center from the skywalk unless you were going to the hotel from the center. Does anyone else know differently?

16. r2fu2

r2fu2 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 20, 2004
    that's the way it was :D

17. BigChris

BigChris Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 11, 2000
    I stayed at the Marriot Downtown for C2 and this is how the skywalk worked. Keep in mind that when I reserved the room through WOTC, one of their major selling points of this hotel was the skywalk access. Anyway, on the first Friday of C2 there were about 25 or so people in the skywalk waiting to get into the convention center. About 30 mins before opening time, a hotel manager came by and said that the skywalk wasn't going to be open to access the event. That upset everyone since, like me, they were told by WOTC that the hotel would have "easy access" to the event because of the skywalk. The manager then said there was another way to enter the center, and to follow him. All he did was lead us outside where everyone had been lined up for hours. Everyone was steaming mad, but there was nothing we could do. I was lucky because it seemed that everyone who was in line early was there to hit the store the first thing, and I wanted to attend the opening ceremonies, so I was able to get a seat. Then came Saturday, I woke up extra early to get in line. I went and got a bite to eat and I thought what the hell, I will check the skywalk.
    Well, this time it was open with no problems. So I walked into the center and saw that other people had found there way in. But there was another barrier. Between us and the main entrance there was a metal gate. So we wait patiently till a WOTC guy came by, we asked if they had planned to open that gate by opening time, and like every other WOTC guy, he didn't have a clue. So we took a chance and waited. Well opening time came and people were filing in and the gate was still closed. Well, about 1/10 of the line had come in. Most who were waiting left to get in the real line outside, since they wanted to get in. But just then, I saw a center employee. I asked him to open the gate, and he said, "Are you sure its ok to open this?" And of course I told him sure. So the gate opened. They had stopped letting people in for a sec, I guess for crowd control, and that formed a little gap in the line. Well as soon as we could crawl under the gate, we jetted for that gap. Then we heard a WOTC guy tell the employee to close the gate, which he did, but we were in. Yes, the people behind us in line were crying foul. But we got in. Then Sunday came, and I went to check the skywalk again, this time it was locked. So I waited outside with everyone else. What sucked about the whole skywalk thing was that they wouldn't open it up when the event was just opening, but they would open it up for people to go back and forth after that. Anyway, to sum this long story up, the hotels connected to the center with a skywalk are great for easy access back and forth during the day, but if you think it will get you in the convention easier at the start of the day you are going to be wrong. Just go outside and get in line. It was actually more fun that way! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.