main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was Boss Nass going to kill Jar Jar?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Glitterstimm, Mar 29, 2020.

1. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    When I was kid and watched TPM for the first time, I definitely thought that when Boss Nass said Jar Jar would be "poonished" he meant he'd be executed. Watching it right now and getting the same vibes all over again for some reason. The way Jar Jar says he was banished, how Qui Gon needs to invoke a life debt to save him, seems serious lol. Anyone else believe this too?

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

In the novelization, he elaborates on exactly what's going to happen to Jar Jar for breaking exile- death.

"What is to become of Jar Jar Binks?"
    Boss Nass, who was engaged in conversation with another of the Gungan officials, turned to him in annoyance, his heavy jowls puffing. "Binks breaks nocomeback law. Breaks exile. He be punished."
    "Not too severely, I trust?" the Jedi Master pressed. "He has been of great help to us."
    A slow laugh rumbled out of Boss Nass. "Pounded unto death, dis one."
    Somewhere in the background, Jar Jar Binks moaned loudly. There were mutterings about the room. Even Obi-Wan, who was back at his Master's side, looked shocked.
    Qui-Gon was thinking fast. "We need a navigator to get us through the core to Theed. I saved Jar Jar's life on the surface. He owes me for that. I claim a life debt on him."

Last edited: Mar 29, 2020
  3. Glitterstimm

Glitterstimm Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2017
    I read that novel back in the day but forgot that part lol.

4. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    Damn. Qui-Gon a real one for not letting Jar Jar go out like that.

5. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    I forgot about that. No wonder the Naboo didn't like the Gungans.

6. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    Like the adult novelization of TPM, the juvenile novelization by Patricia Wrede also went with the idea that Jar Jar would be executed without Qui-Gon's intervention:

"We'll need a navigator," Qui-Gon said. "This Gungan may be of help." Besides, we talked Jar Jar into coming here. If it weren't for us, he wouldn't be in trouble. Qui-Gon turned back to the Gungan bosses. "What is to become of Jar Jar Binks here?"

"Hisen to be pune-ished," Boss Nass said. "Pounded unto death."

Jar Jar moaned. Obi-Wan looked startled, then worried. Plainly, he had not realized how serious Jar Jar's problem was. Qui-Gon studied the head Gungan. "I have saved Jar Jar Binks' life," he told the Boss. "He owes me what you call a life debt." He gestured, nudging the Gungan's mind once more. "Your gods demand that his life belongs to me now."

"Hisen live tis yos, outlander," Boss Nass said. "Begone wit him."

Based on the fact that both the adult and juvenile novelization not only describe Jar Jar being executed if Qui-Gon hadn't intervened to save him punishment and have the same method of execution mentioned, it wouldn't surprise me if this was some information the authors had received from an official information source.

Ever since I read the juvenile novelization, I assumed that Jar Jar would have been executed if Qui-Gon hadn't saved him. It does make some sense. Execution isn't an uncommon penalty for breaking exile, which is what Jar Jar technically did.

So, in a way, Qui-Gon saves Jar Jar's life twice, and Jar Jar probably owes him two life debts. :p

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    The script makes it clear as well:

QUI-GON : (cont'd) What is to become of Jar Jar Binks here?
    BOSS NASS : Binkss brokeen the nocombackie law. Hisen to be pune-ished.
    QUI-GON : He has been a great help to us. I hope the punishment will not be
    too severe.
    BOSS NASS : Pounded unto death.
    JAR JAR : (grimacing) Oooooh...Ouch!

My guess is those lines were cut from the film to soften Boss Nass's character and make his turn in the final act more acceptable to the audience. But the implication is still there, IMO.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  8. cratylus

cratylus Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 9, 2001
    The TPM video game (which I remember quite fondly) has Boss Nass state explicitly that Jar Jar is to be "pounded unto death."

The_Phantom_Calamari is probably correct that this explicit detail is removed so that kids and others in the audience will not regard Boss Nass as excessively cruel. He is not meant to be an evil character, but the rift between the two populations on Naboo is depicted primarily through him.

The death penalty is however still implicit, because for a moment Jar Jar says "Count me outta this [going through the core] -- better dead here than dead in the core!" Then he catches himself and agrees to go along with the Jedi.

It's worth noting that Jar Jar clearly took a mortal risk by returning to Otoh Gunga, so that might put a new spin on the notion that he completely lacks courage. Apparently he will take a mortal risk for the sake of his duties as laid out in his religious beliefs according to which he owes his life to Qui-Gon.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's where I remember it from as well. Great game.

10. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I never got that vibe from the movie itself, but since I've read the script and the novelization - and played the video game - I'm familiar with the nature of Jar Jar's... pewnishment.
    Being pounded unto death is an extremely harsh way to die. I was very surprised to learn that this was what GL had in mind!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Sith Lord 2015 and Valiowk like this.
  11. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    Yeah I never read any novelizations or played the video game but "better dead here than dead in the core" was pretty clear to me about the nature of "bein' puunisht"

12. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Even that line didn't get the point across for me [face_laugh]

13. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I just thought they’d put Jar-Jar in a holding cell, and that’s why he was upset. Didn’t realize Boss Nass intended to have him killed by being essentially beaten to death. Damn.

Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.
  14. ThePhilistineCritic

ThePhilistineCritic Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 1, 2020
    Damn you, Qui-Gon!

15. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    Exile is a pretty severe punishment. When someone violates exile, at least historically it has often been punished with death in human societies. In fact many exiles are nominally fugitives, who are let go rather than actually caught as an act of minimal mercy. Speaking historically, because exile was fairly common in classical antiquity. There were also cases where periodic revolutions in city states led to a semi-permanent exiled class, who would complicate any later war or revolution that took place. These days fugitive exile is pretty much the only kind, but historically it was fairly routine and usually considered severe.

16. LedReader

LedReader Jedi Master star 4

Oct 24, 2019
    That’s a very good point. Even if they had never elaborated on what “terrible things” they would do to Jar Jar, death is typically the default penalty for breaking exile. The nature of the punishment is, “we(in this case the gungans) as a society have decided we don’t want to deal with you ever again. As long as you simply leave us alone then we’ll be merciful and leave you alone too, but if you ever break your end of the bargain then rest assured that the next time we deal with you will be the last.”

17. cratylus

May 9, 2001
    What punishment lighter than death is sufficient to deter an exile from returning?

18. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Exactly. If I were exiled and told, “We’ll kill you if you come back” then I’d do well to never return.

And considering Jar-Jar returned with two human strangers, I’m honestly surprised the Gungan captain we see approach them didn’t spear Jar-Jar dead on the spot. I mean, looking at this from their perspective, Jar-Jar had just committed the most egregious act imaginable. Not only did he dare return, he had the gall to come back with two humans who, for all they knew, were the Naboo — a people we know they detest with a passion.

Yeah, good thing Qui-Gon was there to intervene.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
  19. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    Well, it could have been a worse punishment. They could have said they'd make gunganburgers with him.

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    “Pounded unto death”

No wonder that line was removed from the film. Bit dark for Star Wars, no?

it could be worse though. He could be stabbed!
    (Yes, that was a “Life of Brian” reference)

21. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Anybody else thinking "death by snu snu"?

22. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    I wasn't, but thanks for the imagery.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Random question, but when Boss Nass does this:

...is it supposed to be a Richard Nixon impression? I've seen Stephen Colbert do this while imitating Nixon, but when I go looking for clips of the actual guy himself doing it, I don't find anything.

24. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I get chills at Boss Nass's grin to Jar Jar after declaring he will be punished. It's so cruel and sadistic like Boss Nass takes personal pleasure in execution. Boss Nass is like King Joffery! :p

I also always noted that for all his war mongering and patriotic pride and bravado, when the fighting starts, Boss Nass is nowhere to be seen until the celebration while Padme bravely leads her people into battle. Coward!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  25. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    He’s elderly, fat, and their leader. The Gungans probably figured it’d be safer to have him far away from the fighting. I mean, if he gets killed, they’re kinda screwed, no? If we look at our own human history, we see a change of tactics where they put the leader/commander far away from the fight so he can, y’know, still be alive to dictate orders. xD A leader killed in battle=morale being kicked down the curb. And for an army, this is the last thing you’d want. An army with shattered morale is more likely to break and route, thus handing the enemy the victory.

More than likely he was back at the camp handling logistics and military planning.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    StartCenterEnd likes this.