main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was Darth Vader a family man?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by World War II, Feb 14, 2020.

1. World War II

World War II Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2020
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Do these answer your question?

3. World War II

World War II Jedi Youngling

Feb 2, 2020
    It doesn't.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Perhaps if you expanded on your basic question?

devilinthedetails likes this.
  5. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
  6. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I mean yes, in that he was willing to betray and kill all of the Jedi to save his family. :p

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
  7. devilinthedetails

devilinthedetails Fiendish Fanfic & SWTV Manager, Interim Tech Admin star 6 Staff Member Administrator

Jun 19, 2019
    He caught of his son's hand and had his daughter tortured, so I'm going to go with "no" except for the last few minutes of his life when he threw Palpatine into the Death Star shaft and asked Luke to remove his helmet.

christophero30 and Sarge like this.
  8. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Yeah he's great with kids especially younglings.

9. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    I don't really think the original question was meant seriously. It's supposed to be some kind of joke, obviously.

Kenneth Morgan likes this.
  10. Hernalt

Hernalt Force Ghost star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I think it's a serious attempt to penetrate the network. New poster. Heavy user name. Spare provocation in degenerate electron state - could go anywhere.

I never watched The Sopranos. Like an infinite amount of worthy television, I also do not have time for that title. But the James Gandolfini character comes to mind in response to this prompt. To say that the James Gandolfini character was a "family man" is to hijack or kidnap the word family and use it for purposes antithetical or quite at odds to its conventional meaning. Same for the Breaking Bad (have never carved out time) character played by Bryan Cranston.

Before the dark times, before Disney, before Abrams, the Force was a metaphor. You decide what it was a metaphor, for. But it wasn't a metaphor for choking another person that was out of arm's reach - because that's not physically possible. Darth Vader, if the metaphor is removed, used force to enact will. The two characters ^^ are studies in voluntary corruption (as far as I'm going to appreciate from the outside looking in) to maintain a framed picture of a "family" that does not coordinate with the conventional meaning of "family". They use force out of all conventional norms to strive towards their framed picture of a "family".

So this question is a trap, or leading question.

Do best terms exist for what James Gandolfini character or Bryan Cranston character are? Are they psychopaths that have families? Are they fathers who take steps? The former is farther along the dialectic towards Aristotelian pity, and the latter is farther along towards sympathy.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020