main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Was going down under the right movie for the Prequels? (meaning Australia of course)

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by seasider, Nov 14, 2018.

1. seasider

seasider Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 12, 2002
    Back in the early 2000's, Australia was becoming a go-to place for Hollywood to shoot big franchise films. Mission Impossible II was done there, the Matrix sequels were filming there and of course you had Peter Jackson doing his Lord of The Rings trilogy in neighboring New Zealand. AOTC marked a huge shift in the Star Wars franchise. Not only was Lucas going all digital and casting a new Anakin, he was also breaking with tradition by moving the main base of principal photography from the U.K to Fox Studios in Sydney. The result was a cast dominated by Aussie and Kiwi actors, most notably Temuera Morrison in the role of Jango Fett. Lucas was apparently so impressed with Morrison he went back and dubbed his voice for Bobba Fett in ESB and ROTJ (that's a whole other discussion topic). I also think this was the first time for many to see Joel Edgerton.

Some would argue that the prequels suffered a bit from not having the British film talent that benefited the previous films. I actually liked the diversity that we got from those movies even if some of the acting was not always great. I'm hoping they revisit that part of the world again when shooting future Star Wars films or TV shows.

2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Someone mention my name?

Alpha-Red, heels1785 and seasider like this.
  3. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    Tattooine in our back yard is kind of a trippy thought.

Although Joel Edgerton was underutilised.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    cwustudent likes this.
  4. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    They went back to Pinewood Studios in Britain to shoot the ST, and in my humble opinion, it didn't seem to help the sequels.

Deliveranze likes this.