main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was the empire racist

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PaleOrcAzog, May 22, 2018.

1. PaleOrcAzog

PaleOrcAzog Jedi Youngling

Oct 2, 2017
    Sorry if its been asked before.
    Also any atrocities that the rebellion did?
    Just wondering.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  2. Ava G.

Ava G. Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2016
    I'm no authority, but it was exceptional that a Chiss rose to rank of Grand Admiral. Keep in mind that that race was considered near-human by most standards.

Yes, the Empire's ideology was racist, generally preferring "humans" to "aliens".

Last edited: May 22, 2018
    ThisIsMe1138 likes this.
  3. Bardan_Jusik

Bardan_Jusik Former Manager star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2009
    This is a discussion better geared for Saga in Depth, I'll move it over there.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Racist toward other humans? No. They were against Aliens in most instances.

5. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    More of the inter-galactic equivalent of speciesism than racism. As for atrocities Saw Guerrera's Partisans racked up a few and I'm sure there were instances of civilian casualties during the Civil War.

6. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    When it comes to "prejudice against groups of humans" there's hints in the Thrawn novel that people from the Outer Rim tend to be treated dismissively by Core Worlders.

That would be more "cultural chauvinism" though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  7. Princess Of Manchester

Princess Of Manchester Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2018
    idk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WriterMan likes this.
  8. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    Basically nobody human in the GFFA seems to be "racist" in the sense that we know it, although the casting in the OT (reflective of the times) makes the opposing forces overwhelmingly anglo and while it's easy to map that onto the Empire being "space Nazis", the Alliances isn't a lot more diverse.

I think we're still waiting on a new canon verdict on just how anti-alien the Empire was. It was an old EU conceit that the prequels made slightly awkward. New canon was less explicit about it at the start but I'm starting to notice little nods to it slipping in these days.

(Of course the detention officer in ANH was totally racist about Chewie, but so was Leia, so who knows.)

9. only one kenobi

only one kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 2012
    Apparently they didn't like anybody who wasn't British, old boy. Stiff upper lip Queen's standard - though they accepted Standard Midwestern from that scary guy in the black suit.

Maybe its an upper-class Coruscant thing.

10. FiveFireRings

FiveFireRings Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2017
    What about overdubbed "Holding her is dangerous" guy who sounded like an LA disc jockey?

11. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  12. Princess Of Manchester

Jan 7, 2018
    wait to

13. Princess Of Manchester

Jan 7, 2018
    wait, towards wookiees.

14. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
  15. Kalio_Dynkos

Kalio_Dynkos Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 17, 2004
    New Canon has described this more and more in the novels. The Confederacy was largely made up non human species. Though lead by Dooku, the vast majority of the forces were not human.

Just like any war, the winners hate the losers. The novel Tarkin addresses this, as does Catalyst and Rebel Rising. Thrawn, as noted, also does in the case of admiralty against the Chiss.

Initially, no. The empire was not. However, Palaptine allowed hatred to boil, and for the losing systems to bear extra tariffs, financial pressures and concessions as penance for supporting the losing side. Over time, this allowed slavery in the case of wookies, and outright specisim to become the norm by the time of ANH.

There was also a social ladder that favored humans in The Core, not so much as an issue of outright racism, but classism formed even among humans and humanoids.

Jedi Knight Fett, Snafu55 and BadCane like this.
  16. BadCane

BadCane Jedi Master star 4

Oct 28, 2015
    I'm sorry, but I can't remember where in Tarkin this matter is adressed. I've read the book, but my memory is not that good. [face_laugh]

17. Snafu55

Snafu55 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 19, 2015
    Although, I heavily agree. I always found this weird since many of these places were member worlds in the senate, usually with senators. Early on this must of prevented much xenophobia?

Kalio_Dynkos likes this.
  18. Jedi of Baker Street

Jedi of Baker Street Jedi Master star 1

Dec 28, 2015
    Based on the films I don't see anything that makes the Empire racist. You were either with them or against them it seemed.

But Leia calling Chewie a giant walking carpet or whatever it was, does seem a bit racist since it is specifically calling out the looks/features of his race. Especially coming from a Senator Princess who should know all about diplomacy. And did she not hear all about the Clone Wars and Kashyyk, etc, such that she should have more respect for Wookies??

Then there was Obi-Wan calling Jar Jar a pathetic life form.

And Han being hostile to droids.

Then again, maybe these are not examples of racism at all but rather these characters just being annoyed with those specific people at that specific time (Maybe Leia just was annoyed by Chewie, Obi-Wan just thought Jar Jar was pathetic and Han just hated 3PO - no deeper meaning involved)

It's really only Luke that's not a jerk at times lol.

DarthTalonx and ZodaEX like this.
  19. StartCenterEnd

StartCenterEnd Jedi Grand Master star 3

May 2, 2006
    I think the Empire in NU canon isn't outwardly bigoted against aliens, it's just not gonna do much to accommodate them (storm trooper uniforms fitted most for humans etc) and will always put humans first. At the same time, it won't dismiss a really exceptionally skilled alien just because it's an alien.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  20. crazyewok

crazyewok Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 27, 2017
    I dont think they where racists.
    Xenophobes yes. And I dont blame them, I would not want to live next to a Gamorrean or have my children playing with Hutts.
    Yes, the terrorists blowing up 2 deaths stars with millions of loyal imperials on it.

Well it was hahaha

I hope the empire cleaned Naboo up.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2018
  21. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    The Gungan survived past ROTJ. We even know that Jar Jar survived past ROTJ also.

22. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    If the empire could not even get that right it deserved to fall............................... Here is hoping the first order gets the job done.

And Jar Jar? who canonized it as alive post ROTJ?

23. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Aftermath Empire’s End

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. crazyewok

Oct 27, 2017
    Should of figured it was Chuck Wendig :rolleyes:

Hopefully the first order has better luck.

25. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    He actually has a depressing life. In the book you find out that many people blame him for Palpatine and now he is just a street “artist”

Iron_lord likes this.