main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Was the empire racist

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by PaleOrcAzog, May 22, 2018.

1. ZodaEX

ZodaEX Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 27, 2015
    In the 2004 ROTJ Special Edition, the last words anyone says in the film is Jarjar saying "Weesa Free".

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Apparently the voice doesn't match:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/List_of_changes_in_Star_Wars_re-releases

• Another scene of celebration, this one on Naboo, is shown after the Empire is defeated, some Gungans partake in the celebration, and one is heard chanting "Wesa free!", Some Star Wars fans believe that this is Jar Jar Binks even though it is not Jar Jar's voice.

3. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Was Jar Jar made Governor of Naboo, and given the Order of the Republic for his services rendered? Jobs for the boys?

I also wonder now in hindsight about the "walking carpet" comment that Chewie let slide. Mind you we see certain questionable actions by the so called Rebellion (Rebel Scum) across the films. I don't see anything other than a meritocracy on the part of the majority of the Empire. However individuals can be nuts in both factions. I.e. Tarkin and that General who ordered the "hit" on Erso. Frankly the lack of respect for droids is disturbing. Given R2D2 saves the most lives in the franchise if you think about it.

I don't see the Empire for instance actively working against the Ewoks. It is the Rebels who turn them against them. Almost akin to the Jedi having betrayed the Republic, the Rebels make it look to the Ewoks that the "Empire are taking over!"

4. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It's actually Matt Wood's voice.

5. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    I think the Empire was species-ist, but is racist? Although it seems like something they would do/be, I don't think so, necessarily...

6. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Oh come on! "Speciesist"??? Does the word even exist or was it made up by some Trekkies or SW geeks? Since the Emperor, Vader and all high-ranking officials are human it makes sense to have human soldiers and pilots as well. YES, the Empire was probably 100% human. So? Stormtrooper armor would have to be made by certain standards, to fit the human body just like the clone troopers' armor was. TIE cockpits also would be standardized to accommodate humans. Should they have 50 different versions just for the sake of including other species? The Empire is a dictatorship, led by humans. Why worry if they "discriminate" against other species? I don't see them randomly shooting or trying to eliminate other species, they only fought those who opposed them and were a threat, the Rebels. Species has nothing to do with it. Having only humans was more practical, and was in line with the Empire's practice of homogenization and standardization. What advantages would the inclusion of non-humans have had for the Empire? As far as I remember, all Republic leaders were human as well.

7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    I'm pretty sure that's what makes entities like the Empire so evil. The homogenization of institutions in the name of logic and efficiency. It's the same reason everyone in THX 1138 is bald and wears white jumpsuits. There's no room for individuality because it makes the machine run less smoothly.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. ThisIsMe1138

ThisIsMe1138 Chosen One star 6

Jun 26, 2018
    BTW - I looked it up. Speciesist is a word

Iron_lord likes this.
  9. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Exactly, smoothness, logic, functionality, and efficiency! That does not equal evil. I fail to see any evil in that. Destroying planets, yes... torture, yes.... oppressing star systems, yes... but not recruiting based on certain standards. Isn't this what most regimes and armies do?
    OK, so it's a word now. But I don't see how it has any use or relevance at all on a planet where humans are the only intelligent species, outside of science fiction.

10. Outsourced

Outsourced Force Ghost star 5

Apr 10, 2017
    #TheEmpireDidNothingWrong

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    The Empire forces conformity on all the beings of an entire galaxy, as individuals the people have little rights.

Imposes it's will on the entire population, considering very little compassion for each individual and their needs. Too much focus on ultimate order and security, at any moral cost.
    How would you like to be stomped out just for having a different opinion?

It is kind of summed up by the end of ROTJ where The Emperor is blind to the power of a potential love between a father and son. He just doesn't comprehend any merit in this.

christophero30 and Iron_lord like this.
  12. FS26

FS26 Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 8, 2018
    Yes, the Empire was racist/speciest and this grew out of these leanings already existing within the Republic. Bigotry in the Star Wars universe primarily exists in a general prejudice of the Core Worlds against those societies further outwards in the galaxy, and an intolerance against non-humans by the human majority. The basic rule of thumb is the further away from Corusant in origin and the less human-like, the worse off a being is treated. It is not something inherent to the Empire's system, but its authoritarian and violent structure meant that it easy facilitates persecution on racist grounds

anakinfansince1983 likes this.