main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Was Vader/Anakin technically Emperor for the last couple minutes of his life?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Dominick1216, Dec 27, 2017.

1. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Palpatine never designed a system by which he would be succeeded. He wanted to reign eternally. This is what we see in the old EU, and I believe the original films reflect this. The new canon is kinda ridiculous insofar as it implies that Sidious wanted Vader to succeed him. But Sidious is too egotistical to want that. He wants his apprentice to challenge him, certainly, but never to win. He saw himself as One Sith with absolute power: the end of the Banite line of the Sith Lords. Darth Tenebrous foresaw this.

Vader was technically the demise of Bane's Order of the Sith Lords because the Order never anticipated that one of its members would redeem themselves. So, no, Vader did not become Emperor. If he ever overthrew Palpatine in a conventional manner, he would have had a great deal of opposition from many of the Imperial officers who hated him. Maybe not Thrawn, but many of the others. Vader retained his status as Supreme Commander of the Imperial Fleet after killing the Emperor, but he didn't have time to do anything, since he was obviously dying and he and Luke had to say their final goodbyes. There is a Star Wars Infinities story in which a redeemed Vader lives and chooses a new white suit for himself in order to help Luke and the Rebels track down the Emperor, who had escaped in this version. Interesting idea, but I imagine there would be many Rebels who would want Vader's execution. So, if he had lived, he would have been hunted by both sides. (I think the other two Infinities stories are better.)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 and BlackRanger like this.
  2. lord_sidious_

lord_sidious_ Jedi Knight star 3

Feb 19, 2019
    If Sidious did name an heir to the throne, it has to be Vader. He's the only other Sith. Just before Order 66, Sidious said, "Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy." That's part of what he's fighting for, for the galaxy to fall back into the hands of the Sith. He sees the galaxy as a possession. His successor, the next Dark Lord of the Sith, would inherit this possession.
    But Sidious most likely kept that intention to himself. He doesn't want Vader to feel loved.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  3. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    Not only that, he also didn't intend to give up the throne, likely ever.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  4. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Come to think of it, if Vader had survived then that would be two Death Stars lost under his watch, plus the Emperor. His political prospects might not be that good.

5. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    I put Death Star 2’s destruction on Palpatine.

6. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    But Vader would’ve been the survivor, which means all the blame would be pegged on him.

7. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    And necks would’ve been snapped. Nobody else had Vader’s power at that time.

MeBeJedi likes this.
  8. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    I keep forgetting that.

Don’t tell Vader.

*flees*

MeBeJedi and themoth like this.
  9. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah, true. But it probably means Vader has to do a bit more killing and fighting rather than just have everyone fall into line.

BlackRanger likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

Vader is a character of Shakespearean proportions. There are so many elements to him, and that's why his character is among the most fascinating. I've found it intriguing to notice how his character is the most consistent in the films, Legends, and the new canon.

11. Alpha-Red

Apr 25, 2004
    I'm sure I'm not the first person to think of this (actually someone over at TV Tropes already has), but why didn't Vader just pick up Luke's lightsaber and shish-kabob the Emperor? That way he doesn't get himself electrocuted, and he doesn't die.

12. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    Maybe he pulled a Padme and lost the will to live.

Iron_lord likes this.
  13. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    He wasn’t thinking clearly. Besides, to restore Balance, the Sith had to die. He probably felt he did so much evil that he didn’t deserve to keep living as a Jedi. I believe sources said that Vader attempted to throw both Palpatine and himself down the reactor, but he didn’t have the strength to make it over himself.

christophero30 and Valiowk like this.
  14. Bor Gullet

Bor Gullet Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 8, 2018
    I had never heard that before. I like it !

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  15. Darth Chuck Norris

Darth Chuck Norris Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2014
    Vader was going to die regardless. His connection to the dark side was what kept him alive, in addition to the suit.

In response to the original question, without making a claim to the title, I'd say no Vader was not emperor for those final few minutes.

christophero30 likes this.
  16. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    I never really thought of Vader's power weakening as he lets go of the dark side. That makes sense as he appears much weaker in ROTJ.

17. BlackRanger

BlackRanger Jedi Master star 4

Apr 14, 2018
    "Luke... tell your sister, you were right about me. Also, I suppose I'm Emperor now. Go me."

18. themoth

Dec 5, 2015
    I like that idea, too. All his energy left him and the pain of his body and actions were felt a lot more.

christophero30 likes this.
  19. Lord-Skywalker

Lord-Skywalker Hangman Host/18X Wacky Wed Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner VIP - Game Host

Jul 8, 2002
    I would like to believe for the last minutes of his life, he was just a Dad.