main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Was Yoda ever going to be called “Minch Yoda”?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by darklordoftech, Jan 19, 2023.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    The behind-the-scenes section of the old starwars.com databank article on Yoda said so, but in the Leigh Brackett ESB script he’s just called “Minch”. Is “Minch Yoda” in any of the subsequent drafts or was it considered at any other point in ESB’s writing?

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    As far as I'm aware, you're correct in that the character's name was either just Minch or Yoda, and that being the character's only name

Still, it's curious that an official source of information like SW Databank would say otherwise - of course, the content of the Databank is written by people who are just as prone to human error as anyone else, but I suppose it also reflects a possibility that there might've been a time between Leigh Brackett's draft and Kasdan's in which it was considered to have "Minch Yoda" as the character's full name

If such a draft exists, though, I've never read it

RogueDianoga and darklordoftech like this.
  3. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    do you have the SW annotated screenplays book? on p.167 it says he was called Minch Yoda in the story treatment.

RogueDianoga and darklordoftech like this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    Minch Yoda?

sounds like a Ghostbusters villain

RogueDianoga and Sarge like this.
  5. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Is this a treatment that came before or after Brackett's draft?

If before, then I suppose the idea of the character being named Minch Yoda could've been a thing there, but his surname would never have been mentioned once, neither in dialogue nor even in the script itself (which can be read in full here)

darklordoftech likes this.
  6. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    According to The Annotated Screenplays:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
    BlackRanger and darklordoftech like this.
  7. Biel Ductavis

Biel Ductavis Jedi Master star 4

Aug 17, 2015
    As i said in other threads before, Minch may either already have been planned by Lucas as the name for the species at that time or will become it eventually.

Gesendet von meinem TA-1053 mit Tapatalk

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Minch only ever existed as Yoda's first name, before being discarded. There's no indication that it could be the name of the species. Naming it was something Lucas always refused to do.

9. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    Think when he decided to simply use Yoda as the name, he may have kept Minch in mind as the name of the species, but decided against revealing it. To keep the mystery.

10. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    But like I said, there's no indication of that whatsoever. Only that he once considered Minch to be Yoda's first name before discarding it altogether.

11. Biel Ductavis

Aug 17, 2015
    George likes to reuse names and concepts from early drafts. As seen for example with Cloud City (from the ANH rough draft) in ESB and Utapau (also from the rough draft and later planned as a name for the planet which became Naboo to be finally realized for the sinkhole planet in ROTS).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2023