main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Watching the Star Wars Saga Eps I-VI for the first time

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth_Articulate, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Darth Buzz

Darth Buzz Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2018
    Exactly. That’s why I said IMO! I rank because I want to, and thinks it’s fun to do. I will always think the story should be seen in the order of events, just as George Lucas has said. Also it’s not a 6 Episode Saga, it’s 8 and about to be 9.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I don’t think “we all” agree that ROTS is the perfect movie.

I do wonder what the impact will be on any future generations who don’t have Star Wars as a cultural phenomenon and don’t know who the Skywalkers are, in watching the films in chronological order.

3. christophero30

christophero30 Chosen One star 10

May 18, 2017
    ESB is the perfect SW movie imo. It also appears on numerous best 100 of all time lists along with ANH.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I put ROTJ slightly above ESB and ANH, and Rogue One with the OT—it’s the near-perfect Disney LFL movie.

Sarge likes this.
  5. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    It's impossible to say "we all agree" about anything. Nothing as subjective as the opinion about a film can have universal consensus.
    Frankly, it's preoposterous (and a bit arrogant) to use those phrases when giving your opinion. It seems that you are pretending to say that your opinion is absolute and can't be denied unless you are stupid.

Bacon164 and Bazinga'd like this.
  6. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    Well, I recently posted this on another thread, but it couldn't be more relevant here:

I showed my four 6-9 year old kids the six episode saga-with spinoffs in their places-for the first time this year (I'm holding off for the ST....., so it's fresh in their minds for TROS). I went from I-VI in chronological order, and they accepted and were captivated by the overall progression of the story as a whole, and actually really seemed to see Anakin as the main part of all of it. And when they saw young Anakin in ROTJ, I was amazed to see how much it made PERFECT SENSE to them that Luke sees his father as young Anakin. I asked them how they felt about it, and they all said it made sense cos "that's how Anakin was before he turned to the Darkside, and now he's good again like before." It was amazing to see how someone who looked at it more simply and objectively, who didn't have expectations, or something different to draw on from before, ......how they saw the story arcs play out over all the episodes.

Then just recently, I kind of quizzed all of them to see how much of the overall story they had remembered and understood-cos I'm about to show them the ST-and I had a "proud father" moment, as all four of them rattled off plot point after fact after character! So not only did they accept and enjoy the story presented in that way, but also retained the overall intent behind everything and how it all connects!

It was really interesting to see how they enjoyed the saga as simply a story as a whole. That gives me hope for future generations that SW can be enjoyed as a chronological story, and the OT twists aren't absolutely necessary in order to enjoy the saga to its fullest.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
  7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
    I always felt like it would be more dramatic to find out that the protagonist becomes the antagonist in ROTS. Like if ya didn't know Anakin was Vader, that would be just as shocking if not more so than "I am your father", since there are 3 more films to resolve all of that. Then you wonder when Luke will find out the truth and the final duel between father and son is more heartbreaking since ya know both sides of their stories.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  8. obi1jedinite

obi1jedinite Jedi Grand Master star 2

Oct 20, 2002
    I don't hate everything about the prequels by any means, and I really enjoy the ST so far, but when I show my son (and any future kids) Star Wars it'll be the original trilogy to start. Then we can branch out from there. Seems to have worked just fine for me :)

Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    Sarge likes this.
  9. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    People can watch them in whatever order they want. But it should be known (and this doesnt get talked about enough) that the prequels were made to be viewed first. They were made to form one big 13 hour epic with the OT. Rick Worley makes a good point that a lot of people's problems with the prequels is that they were stubbornly viewing them as the second trilogy and not the first. The cool thing about watching TPM in the theater in 1999 is that it felt like I was watching a movie that had been released many many years before the OT only I had not yet seen them. If you are trying to replicate that awesome feeling then I can certainly support release order, but not to preserve a plot twist. Twists are overdone in my opinion anyway. I will admit that one big positive of experiencing release order over the many years of being a Star Wars fan is being scared and intimidated by the monster of Darth Vader as a kid and then many years later as an adult getting the man behind the curtain treatment of him. It is enthralling and enlightening. (Of course, a lot of older fans from my generation couldnt be bothered to appreciate that man behind the curtain experience). It has always baffled my mind that people think you can just skip over TPM or that TPM isnt needed, but if you are viewing it as the first movie of a second trilogy and not the first movie of a six part saga I suppose its a bit more understandable. Again, people can experience them in whatever order they want, but you are supposed to pretend that the prequels were made first.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  10. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    The problem is, the prequels don't lay the foundations for good world-building. Ep IV is when Alec Guinness lays out the exposition of the Republic, Jedi, and the Force. Ep I does not do a good job of explaining those concepts, IMO.

Riv_Shiel and Gräfin Zeppelin like this.
  11. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    I disagree. Obi-Wan's exposition about the Republic, the Force and the Jedi is necessary because he's talking about ancient times, things that don't exist anymore. The PT doesn't need those explanations because we get to actually see what the Republic is and what the Jedi do. We can witness the foundations for the world-building as the action is going on (which is Lucas' favourite way to present a story: jump into the middle of it and follow the characters while you feel confused about the surroundings).

12. yodaman_reborn

yodaman_reborn Jedi Master star 2

Feb 7, 2009

13. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    That is what SW is all about. Great! Just fantastic how you described this experience with your Kids!

Edit: I'd love to read about your Kids reacting to the ST. Iam sure it will be as positive as with the other 8 movies.

Btw: a question: how well did the Transition from RO to Ep IV work for them?

Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    DARTH_BELO likes this.
  14. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    I'm the same. Although I appreciate chronological order and the benefits derived from watching the story unfold that way, and will likely marathon the movies in that order prior to seeing TROS, any future kids of mine are watching A New Hope first. I just feel it's the perfect introduction to the story and themes of that world, and it's simply a magical and timeless piece of film making on its own.

15. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003
    Agreed. To me, the PT is the epitome of world building, especially in the visual sense. The standard by which all other epic franchises should go by. There's really no other series (besides perhaps LOTR and Harry Potter) that comes to mind which did such a good job making the audience feel the vastness of that galaxy, and all that is in it.

I actually showed them Rogue One and ANH back to back as one film, not telling them they were made over 40 years apart. (It actually took two days cos that's a lot of movie watching in one sitting for little kids, but in the middle I did remove the one disc and put in the other right away and get thru half of ANH in that one sitting.) They basically didn't notice any difference, in terms of film quality (picture, sound, etc.). They did ask what was up with Luke's lightsaber on the Falcon, and I laughed-cos that's one of my few hangups as well! But otherwise it seemed to connect seamlessly for them. One of them asked in the meeting on the Death Star in ANH when we first see Tarkin, "where is the other guy with the cape (Krennic)?" And I reminded him that he died on that tower on Scarif. Great stuff! One literally flowed into the other in their eyes!

"Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is!"

I'm interested in seeing how they react to the ST too. Especially considering all we've talked about on here regarding those two.

oierem and KyleKartan like this.
  16. KyleKartan

KyleKartan Force Ghost star 4

Feb 4, 2004
    WOW! Thats what I call seamless! Amazing how they made the connection from RO Tarkin to AHN Tarkin. That shows its works!

How did they react to Anakins fall? Did they knew beforehand?

And were they able to connect the cast of SOLO to Han and Lando in the OT?

Great stuff man, thx for telling that!

17. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Show, don’t tell. As a 7-year old who had never seen a Star Ward movie, I was never confused.

18. DARTH_BELO

Nov 25, 2003

Re: Tarkin, at least they can't tell the difference now...I imagine in a few years they'll be able to pick the two versions apart! LOL

They knew Anakin became Darth Vader, and that Luke and Leia were his kids, but that's it. Kinda hard to hide those details from them over the years...Pop culture and all...

They recognized Han and Lando-and also Darth Maul in Solo. (It was fun trying to explain that Maul didn't really die four movies before that LOL!) But only in the basic sense. Probably the most "detached" one of the series really...but oddly enough, Solo was one of all of their favorites!

19. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Every time I've showed the movies in Episode order to someone who hasn't seen them, their favorite is Revenge of the Sith.

Deliveranze and astinus4 like this.
  20. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    FWIW, I tried the numerical order with my daughter and she couldn't make it through TPM. I ended doing the Machete order and that worked much better.... and she actually liked TPM much more after seeing ANH and TESB.

I'd actually start with Rogue One though now. It's very OT, but with modern effects and it almost the perfect introduction to the franchise now.

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  21. Gräfin Zeppelin

Gräfin Zeppelin Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2019
    Imo the right way is to show them in their theatrical release order.

22. grd4

grd4 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 11, 2013
    The last time Star Wars fans agreed on anything was 1977. :D

23. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Title change 1-9?
    Tho I know it's not for some but is a lot if us

Darth_Articulate likes this.
  24. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    Even as a child who was five in 1977..cChronological order is only way for me

25. Gräfin Zeppelin

Gräfin Zeppelin Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 14, 2019
    That whole Luke I am your father thing gets spoiled imo if you do it that way. My boy 6 almost fell out of his chair when I watched ESB with him for the first time.