main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Watching the Sun Set. An OC fic. 2009 diary challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jazjediundercover, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jazjediundercover

jazjediundercover Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 26, 2008
    Timeframe: During the time of the Empire.

Characters:Hoki (OC) Clones

Genre: Adventure, healing

Keywords: Purge, Jedi, Clones, Empire

Summary: A Jedi Padawan, Hoki Manning, escapes the Purge with a Master. They see Stormtroopers hunt a force sensitive baby and rescue the child. The Master dies, and Hoki escapes with the child and trains her in secret.

Day 1
    The clones turned on us suddenly. We went from been the generals to the enemies for no apparent reason. They got my master. I saw him die? heard him tell me to leave, run, save myself? and I did. I left him there. I feel so guilty, but I know at the same time that if I hadn't, they would have killed me too? they shot at me, for sure, but I just managed to get away? they got my leg.

Keira's Master is with me too. Master Velli. He's meditating. Trying to see if anyone is left. I've tried too, but the dark side clouds everything. I don't think Master Velli is having any more luck than I did. I'm so lost, and confused. There's nothing that we did, no reason for them to turn on us.

We're hiding now, in the forest. I used to like Kashykk. Now it?s a death-trap for me, and every other Jedi. Why why why did the clones turn on us? What did we do?

We daren't sleep. They might find us. I'm so tired I just want to pass out, but if I did I wouldn't wake up again. My eyelids are drooping and I can't feel the Force. It's all dark. I'm scared. Everyone is. Master Velli is frantic, trying to sense for others or the clones?

We need to move again... they're coming.

2. Lolly_Tolly

Lolly_Tolly Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2008
    Nice beginning, Jaz! You've really set the scene well. I can practically feel the desperation in her words.

Well done so far!

3. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Day 5

Still evading the clones? they were never programmed to give up, but I thought that would never be bad for me? for us. We're in town now. We got rid of our Jedi cloaks days ago, but not our lightsabres. They're hidden, mine up my sleeve. I really don't want to use it.

The throngs of people don't notice us. We just blend in with them. Hopefully the clones will miss us too. I don't want to die!

Hang on, clones ahead? we gotta get out of here. But? they're after that woman; she's screaming and clutching her baby? what's with that? We can't just sit back? can't just watch. That goes against everything we stand for. But there's no we anymore. Just scattered and hunted remnants. Still. We can't just let that happen.

They're firing now. The crowd is scattering, and we're still here. One of the clones shoots the woman. She screams and drops the child. Now we move into action, sabres blazing. The crowds gasp watching us and the clone order his men to fire?

Master Velli is down! Gives me the child, tells me to run? I don't want to, not again. But then I look at the baby in my arms, calmly looking up at me. I run, hear Master Velli scream? but I keep running. For my life. For this child's life. It feels so wrong, yet so right. I'm saving a life. Isn't that right?

I'm hiding my face in my acquired cloak as the transport lifts off, the baby cradled in my arms, asleep. She should have been crying. She shouldn't be sleeping, with the excitement. But if it makes our escape easier, I won't complain.

I never wanted to be a mother. Looks like its been forced on me. I'll make the best of the situation, as my training taught me to do. I'll train the child, in secret. Our order has to be passed on, be remembered, the way we were.

We're leaving. I'm leaving. Leaving behind the place of nightmares, into the darkness of a changed galaxy, with a Force sensitive baby under my care. I'm doing the right thing. Right? Then why does it feel like I'm doing the wrong thing?

4. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Woah! Poor Hoki! I hope she meets up with another Jedi, otherwise, she's going to do it real tough. I'm so glad that the kid is safe. Will her name be Kiera? After Hoki's friend?

Can't wait for more!

5. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Day 17

I'm watching the galaxy fall into darkness. Sometimes the grief simply overwhelms me, and I just want to give up. But then I look at the sleeping child I've decided to call Keira, in memory of the best friend I ever had, the wisest person I've ever met. If anyone would have made it in the world, she would have. She should have had a chance.

Keira turns in her sleep and I see her innocent face. I don't regret saving her. Innocence doesn't deserve to die for having an inherent ability she can't control. But what if I could have done more? Could I have saved the mother? No. I can't wonder about that. If I start thinking like that, I'll go mad. I need to concentrate on Keira. I need to train her in our ways. They must not fade to darkness.

The window of the deserted hut stares back at me as I gaze at it. It's night here on Chandrila. I like it here, as much as I like anything. Very democratic, and friendly to the Rebellion, as fledgling as it is so far. They don't mind us been here, and we can live near technology, near civilisation.

Not everyone knows I'm a Jedi. Only the Senator, Mon Mothma, knows that. I'm just hiding from the Empire as far as they know, and a lot of people do that. But something in my walk, in my eyes, seems to give it away. It's the walk of every surviving Jedi, who has lost everything they held dear to them.

I've not lost everything. I have a purpose, and that purpose is to make sure Keira survives. That she knows to hide, and pass the knowledge on. Maybe we can rebuild someday. Maybe someone else made it out too.

Now that I look back on my beloved Order, I see flaws, cracks. We were arrogant? all of us. 20 000 years of superiority left its mark. And as much as it hurts to look back on the painful past, they were some of the best times of my life. The only thing I ever knew. Now I'll never go back to it, and I'm almost glad. We were too far removed from the universe, compassionate as we were. Or was that false?

I need to buy more food soon. I've run out of credits, but some people are compassionate and let me have it free. I think some of them know. Others I can do odd jobs for, for coin or supplies. They all see and wonder about the pain in my eyes, but I'm not going to tell them. There are still rats about, even here.

Well, morning is coming. Keira will wake up soon. I need to eat, bathe, meditate, generally get ready for the day, as pointless as it may feel. I still have to live for Keira. That' all I can manage now.

6. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    The Jedi did become very arrogant, towards the end... I'm glad Keira's ok, and I'm glad they have a place to stay... Hoki needs a job, like a regular one. Hmm. :p

Great update! Can't wait to see what happens next!

7. Jaidyn_Knightfall

Jaidyn_Knightfall Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 18, 2008
    Oh, I can tell I'm going to like this, despite how sad it is.:_|

Hoki has quite a load to bear. Between dealing with the death of her Master, raising little Keira, trying to come to terms about the Jedi Order as a whole, and hiding from the Empire, she'll have a rough time of it. I hope things start looking up for them both soon.

I really like this, Jaz. Keep up the good work!

8. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Jaidyn_Knightfall: Thanks! I know its sad... :_| And thanks for reading.

Lolly_Tolly: I know she will *thinking* I'll get her one someday. LOL. Thanks for reading. I'll update soon.

9. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Day 23

Mon Mothma came to visit me today, asked how I was coping. I spoke honestly, told her I wasn't. That I had no experience with this sort of stuff, and I guess she thought it sounded funny because she laughed and took my hands in hers. It's been a long time since anyone did that- at least it feels like a long time. It's only really been what, 20 days? Hard to believe. The last time anyone took my hands was the day before the clones turned on us, and that was my Master telling me it would be alright, that we would all get out, not to worry. I wish I could go back to that. It seems so simple now.

She said to me, "Hoki, you're in a tough situation and I don't envy you for it. But don't give up. Never give up. I know you're struggling with your emotions and just want to break down, but you must stay strong for Keira. She's depending on you." Then she squeezed my hand and told me she'd be here for me if I needed anything, and left.

I looked at Keira after she left; playing with some blocks I bought for her. She looks so innocent, so happy. Did I look innocent and happy as a baby? If I looked as happy as Keira, I was one happy baby. At least I think so. I've never seen many other babies. I helped with the older children as an initiate, but never the babies.

I'm so unprepared for this. I never saw any need to read up on how to raise babies, I was a Jedi. Is one with no order still a Jedi? Or are they something else, lost souls swimming in a deep dark lake, always swimming, but still sinking, slowly but surely? Does the darkness whisper at everyone left, tempting them with its offer of relief from the pain? Is this normal, or is something wrong with me?

I'm so confused; I don't know what to think. I used to have a yardstick to measure myself by, but was that yardstick flawed? Does that mean all the Jedi were wrong in the head or something? Was it us, or our Order that was wrong? Was going to war right or wrong? I mean, I know we had to, but should we have refused? But would that be hiding from responsibility? I don't know what to think, all these thoughts swimming around my head with no one to ask, and no answers.

No answers, and too many questions.

10. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Wow. Those are some deep and thought provoking questions. This is a really deep chapter. Well done!

Can't wait for more!

11. Jaidyn_Knightfall

Nov 18, 2008
    No answers, and too many questions.

Unfortunately, life is filled with questions that don't have answers. Poor Hoki, having to raise a baby when she has no experience around them! At least Mon Mothma seems to care about her, and for the moment, Keira seems happy.

Great job, Jaz!=D=

12. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Lolly_Tolly: Thanks, they're the questions I think a survivor would be asking.

Jaidyn_Knightfall: Yeah, too many of those. Keira will be happy for a while. But she'll get more solem, less carefree, as she grows up. Its a pity, really.

Day 45

Over a month has passed, but it still feels like yesterday. Somehow I think it always will. That I'll always wake up drenched in sweat, tears pouring down my cheeks. Is this how every survivor feels? Like their heart will tear in half any minute? Do they always find fresh tears to cry, no matter how many they're already cried?

Keira's grown again, barely perceptibly. Most people wouldn't have noticed, but I watch her all the time, not every tiny change. If I don't, I'll go mad. She's my link to the world, to my sanity. To hope. As long as I'm around her, I'll be alright. Their ghosts won't haunt me.

I'll have to get myself a proper job soon. I can't live off these people forever. It wouldn't be right. And they'll need to throw every spare credit towards the rebellion. Every credit helps. I know.

I haven't used the Force since that day. I'm going to have to get over my fear of it before I train Keira, which gives me a few years. I can't start training her until I can impress on her the nessesity of secrecy. But I just can't handle it yet. It radiates pain, anger, and shadowing these, darkness. A great black darkness that swallows everything in its path. No hope can exist while that black darkness covers the Force.

I admire the defiant spirit of the Chandrilians. But they're so naieve. They really believe the new Emperor can be foisted from his throne. Only a Jedi has any chance of succeeding, and all the remaining Jedi are in exile and broken. Surely they realise this. But I haven't the heart to tell them. It warms my heart to see someone fighting back.

I only wish it were me. But I have to watch Keira, and I'm not ready. If I fought, I would take out my rage, my grief, on the troops, clone or not. I don't want to turn to the darkness.

But I still wish it were me.

13. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    AW! I think Hoki needs a hug! [:D]

Maybe she'll meet up with another Jedi and they can help each other? (Maybe even a love interest?) :p

Can't wait for more!

14. Jaidyn_Knightfall

Nov 18, 2008
    I hope Hoki finds another Jedi soon. If nothing else, the other Jedi might be able to sympathize with what she's going through and be able to help train Keira when the time comes. Hoki is brave to be doing all this on her own.

Great update, Jaz!

15. KithuraVess

KithuraVess Jedi Master star 4

Nov 19, 2008
    Wow, this is really good. =D= I love how you do the emotions.

It really reminds me of the end of a short video where the main character is falling down a long, black mental hole, with the music chanting "No Answer....No Answer....No Answer...."
    @};-

I hope things get better for Hoki soon [:D]

16. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Lolly_Tolly: A hug would definantly help! And... no love interests for Hoki. Trust me, another Jedi will cross her path.

Jaidyn_Knightfall: As I told Lolly_Tolly, yes, another Jedi will cross her path.

KithuraVess: Thank you! And thank you for reading! [:D]

One Year Later

I finally found myself a job. I knew what I could do, but I never had to look for a job before, my future was always assured. The only questions were whether I'd take a Padawan or not, eventually try for a seat on the Council? well, that choice has been made for me now. I have a Padawan, whether or not I want her. Our arts need to be passed on, our history. And most importantly, who we are, what we represent. What we believe. The Emperor will take all that from the universe, but we have to be remembered the way we really were. We weren't the monsters he's portraying us as.

Keira's grown over the past year. Now she's toddling around with a huge toothy grin, and I can't help but to smile back, even though I don't feel like it. When I smile, I remember her smile. Her quick wit, her kindness, her compassion. And it hurts. It hurts worse than anything I've ever seen or experienced. Hell can't be much worse than this.

If I didn't have Keira, I would have gone mad long ago. Madness still threatens in unguarded moments, when I allow my mind to drift. It always drifts back to her? to that day.

I can still feel my fear, smell the burning flesh? hear the screams. The terrible screams as the Jedi, my friends, were slaughtered. I'm positive I was screaming too. I still feel my leg burning as the blasters burned through it, and the Force screamed.

I haven't touched it since that day. I'm not brave enough. My memory of that time is too fresh. Far too fresh. It will take years for the wounds inflicted on that day to start healing, and even then they will never fully heal. At best, they will be covered by a bandaid, and Keira is my bandaid.

I?m always afraid someone will find out my secret, a rat will catch on, and tell the Emperor. Then it'll be finished for us here. We'll have to move, and I want Keira to grow up and train in a secure environment, something I can't provide her. I wish I could.

Mon Mothma visits me frequently, supports me however she can. But she can't give me too much, or draw attention to me. We both understand. The risk is too high, for both of us. If the Emperor found out she was helping a Jedi, well, lets say the penalty for starting the Rebellion is beginning to look very attractive.

And on top of that, I'm screwed, as is Keira. I didn't save her to watch her die. And unlike her namesake, I can do something for her. And I will. Keira deserved a chance at live, and in my mind this baby is my dear friend's chance at another life. My chance to make up for my inaction. To make my mark on the galaxy, hoping my life will amount to something. That our legacy will live on. Possibly even to a new order, even if I don't live to see it.

It's enough for me to know we won't be forgotten.

17. Jaidyn_Knightfall

Nov 18, 2008
    Oh good. At least Hoki has a job to help take her mind off everything once in a while. And she still has Keira to live for. But another Jedi to help train Keira and be a friend to Hoki will be good. I hope he/she finds them soon!

This is wonderful, Jaz. Keep up the good work!=D=

18. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Aw! Poor Hoki! She has to deal with all this stuff. What is her job, by the way?

Great update! I can't wait for more!

19. KithuraVess

Nov 19, 2008
    I wonder what Keira will think, one day, when she realises all her Master was going through at this point, if she does realise. [face_thinking]

Great update! :D

20. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Jaidyn_Knightfall: The other Jedi will come soon.

Lolly_Tolly: It's not important to the story. But she is a check out chick in a local supermarket, if you're curious [face_laugh] Pretty unassuming.

KithuraVess: She will. It's going to make her respect Hoki all the more.

10 days later

I feel really strange, like the Force is trying to tell me something and I'm not listening. It's becoming very insistent. I feel it is important? but I'm too cowardly to touch it again and find out. Some Jedi I am.

I'll just have to face my fears. I'll have to listen to what it says? and then act on it. Like I always used to. Like we always used to. I remember my Master telling me once that if we face our fears they vanish. But this one is too deeply rooted in me to just vanish.
    Okay, I used it again. It wasn't as bad as I would have feared? almost like a comforting hand. It didn't feel like danger, but I learned my lesson about been complacent. A lesson learned in blood.

Actually, it feels almost friendly. Familiar. And completely alien at the same time. Maybe another survivor? I won't get my hopes up. Hope died with Keira. With the Jedi Order, my family. Hope won't return until the Empire crumbles.

I still have my lightsabre. It's hidden in a secret compartment I stumbled across. The previous occupants kept spice in it, but my Jedi equipment lives in there now. My lightsabre, cloak and tunic, and a holocron my Master gave me during the war.
    I talk to it, ask him question. He tells me he was prepared for death. We all were. We just weren't prepared for life.

Keira is using her Force powers recently, stopping balls and that. It hurts to watch. It means I have to use mine soon actively. And that terrifies me.

I wish I could meet another Jedi. That would make everything easier. Keira needs more than one Master. I'm too broken to even touch the Force, let alone train her. And I was only a Padawan, no where near my Trials. I'm not ready for this burden. I need a Master for myself still. I'm not ready to be one.

No where near ready.

21. Lolly_Tolly

Apr 12, 2008
    Ooh! New character, entering stage left! :p Great update!

Come on, Hoki! You can do it! :p

Thanks for the PM!

22. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Lolly_Tolly: *Hoki: Looks left stage* no ones there! *Me: laughs at Hoki* Thanks Lolly!

Three months later

I can't believe it! I can't believe it! I can't believe it! For the first time in over a year, I am really and truly happy. When Keira reaches a milestone, well that?s nothing to this. I can honestly say I am bursting with joy for the first time since the Clone Wars started. I'm smiling so much my cheeks hurt.

We have a visitor. One who looks to stay for a long time. A survivor.

Someone who understands. He understands my loss and loneliness, my guilt, my rage, everything. His world crashed around him that day too. But he also brought news. Other Jedi survived! Rumour says Master Yoda, and Master Kenobi, are still eluding the Empire. But there's bad news too.

Apparently? Anakin Skywalker did it. He turned to the darkness and destroyed us. I wish I could say I told you so, that I saw this coming, but the truth is I idolised him. He was what every youngling wanted to be like. Fighting on the front lines, brilliant swordsman, Palpatine's friend. We were all so envious of Ahsoka when she was sent to be his Padawan.
    I wonder what happened to Ahsoka. Was she gifted- or cursed as the case may be- with life? I feel so sorry for her. She must feel so bad, so much worse than me. So guilty.

For the first time since the war started, I feel 15 again. My age. The way normal teenagers should. The burden isn't on me now. I'm not soley responsible for Keira. He was a Knight, Sakel, and knows so much more than me. I was only 12 when Master Torlan chose me as a Padawan. I suppose it was because I had potential. But children were taken out of the Temple more because of the war. And not so many were coming in.

I'm not going to let anything ruin my happy mood. I have every right to feel happy. Just because the Emperor has made me feel guilt and grief doesn't mean that?s all I'm allowed to fel. I have the right to my little joys. I'm 15 after all. Most kids my age are goofing around like there's no tomorrow, not thinking about the future, without a care. Just this one night I'll try to be like them. I'll pretend I haven't lost anything. I'll pretend I am carefree. I can pull it off just this one night.

Because I am joyous.

23. Jaidyn_Knightfall

Nov 18, 2008
    I'm so glad for Hoki! It seems like things are looking up for her, and she seems more hopeful about her situation.

Great job. I can't wait to read more!

24. KithuraVess

Nov 19, 2008
    [:D] Yayyy Hoki! [:D] I'm so glad she gets to be happy again. [face_dancing]

25. jazjediundercover

Oct 26, 2008
    Jaidyn_Knightfall: Yeah, she'll be a bit more optimistic. As optimistic as you can be in her situation.

KithuraVess: She will be.

A week later

Master Tahm- he wants me to call him Sil, but somehow I can't- keeps trying to talk to me about the Force. He didn't have clones in his regiment. He knows all his friends are dead, felt them die, but didn't watch them die in front of his eyes. He didn't hear the screams. He doesn't truly understand my fear. Intellectually he does, but he doesn't have my personal experience. He's very frustrated that I keep evading the subject.

He doesn't cry. He's very sad all the time, like me, but he never cries. I don't think he can. I think he locked all his emotions in a safe and threw away the key and that's how he copes. I started crying and never stopped.

At least Keira is happy. She's all smiles all the time. It's refreshing to see someone smiling. I'm proud of that kid. She called me Mama the other day. I mightn't be her true mother, but Keira is like me. The Empire took her real family away from her.

I wish I knew something about her real family. Her blood family. Does she have siblings? Aunts and uncles? A father? She'll grow up without them. Like I did.

Since I started this diary, I've kept up a holocron. It's the only use of the Force I actually use. When she's old enough, I'm giving it to her. Hopefully she can avoid my heartbreak. I wouldn't wish this life any on anyone.

Mon Mothma has met our new friend. She thinks he'll be good for me. I agree with her. I'm just not ready to be helped. Not yet.

I'm watching him teach Keira to meditate. Trying to anyway. She won't sit still. It almost makes me laugh. I haven't laughed in over a year. Not since I entered the war. That was over three years ago. I became a warrior by necessity. I wanted to be a healer.

If I could go back, I know I would. Warn them, if I could. But then I'd never know Keira. I'm not sure if I'd be willing to sacrifice that. A child's love is a remarkable thing. No matter what you do, they still love you. I don't deserve it. She'd be better off with her family anyway, and I with mine. I'd still do it. I don't want her to grow up an outlaw, without a chance to fit in because of her ability.

It would be my duty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.