main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Watchmen Movie

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by EDKRIEG, Jul 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Smashing Pumpkin slow played in theme with the Batman and Robin song. Visually presented and evocative . . . but I don't understand the trailer.

2. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Well I read the graphic novel. Since it's pretty long I started reading a chapter a night then I have to admit I got sucked in and started reading three and four chapters at a time. I couldn't put it down. I'm not saying it's my absolute favorite comic book but I thought it was interesting. I can say that Rorschach was awesome and I identified most with Nite Owl.

I like the changes made to Sally Jupiter and Silk Specter for the film by the way. Sally Jupiter is kind of ugly and coarse in the comic with that unappealing frizzy hair. Carla Gugino is a vast improvement. I also like the modification to Silk Specter's costume. Far hotter then the comic but yet still reminiscent.

Ozymandias is an %&*$#@! by the way. The fact that he has a Joel Schumacher style costume for the film is perfect.

3. Tricky

Tricky Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 26, 2001
    watchmen trailer

this trailer is the perfect example why if the watchmen movie is not a 4 hour long epic film, people might be confused & lose out on the story. There's so much going on in this trailer, let me break it down if it's at all possible

beware, here there be spoilers...

:00- :26= This is Jon Osterman, A.K.A. Dr. Manhattan accidently locked into the intristic field generator. he went in to retrieve a watch he left in his jacket there, not knowing that the experiment was happening on a timed sequence, he went in, the automatic timer clicked on & the door locked, now he's being torn apart atoms to atoms. This already happened.

:28- :36=This is the Niteowl's Owlship coming out of the river & heading back into the city. Daniel Drieberg has been in retirement ever since the '70's when the government passed the Keene Act that outlawed costumed superheroing. After a night of finding unrequited love with the Silk Spectre in the midst of his superhero lab under his home that culminated into sweet sweet love with help of their costumes & in the ship, they wake up to reports of a tenement fire. They suit up, save the tenents & then go to jail to help a friend & after hide the ship in the river for awhile. It's happening now.

:37-:40= This is Laurie Juspeczyk, A.K.A. the Silk Spectre II, crashing through fiery rubble on her way to helping out victims in the fire mentioned earlier. SHe's also been retired from superheroing since the '70's, relieved to be done with the whole embarrassing business that she only got into because her mother, Sally Jupiter,A.K.A. Sally Juspeczyk , A.K.A. the Silk Spectre I pushed her into it from early childhood. She's married to Dr. Mahattan, who has lost nearly all of his humanity as a result of his transformation into the only real super powered being on the planet. He's taken her for granted one too many times & because of this she turns to old friend the Niteowl for solace & an accidental affair. The affair & nostalgia for their past superheroing days spurns them to action once again. This is happening now.

:41-:43= This is the Niteowl, who's broken into prison with the Silk Spectre in the midst of a riot to break out his friend Rorschach. He's fighting his way through prisoners who've started this riot as a diversion so that Rorschach's enemies can attempt to kill him in prison. Rorschach is the only costumed superhero that continues doing what he does without government sanction. Eventually he got caught in a frame up, unmasked, beaten & sent to prison. It's now.

:43-:44= This is not the Niteowl throwing Edward Blake, A.K.A. the Comedian out of a window. This is how the story begins, someone is out there killing costumed vigilantes. A Comedian died today & no one cares...no one except for Rorschach. This happened 2 weeks ago, back than.

:45-:46 This is Ozymandias, retired costumed adventurer that revealed his true identidy, Adrian Veidt, & capitalized off the popularity of his superheroing career to launch a global corporation & gain immense wealth. He's an inventor & still bills himself as "the world's smartest man". Like the Comedian & Dr. Manhattan for a time he was a government sanctioned superhero before someone opened his eyes to the dirty truths of the world we live in. He is a vain man that still wears his superhero costume from time to time & here you see him coming to a revelation before his TV screens wall that he uses to soak in the current history of the world in order to predict possible futures, good or bad. Behind him on the TV is President Nixon, coming to the conclusion that WWIII is inevitable & imminent. This will happen.

:47-:48= Jon Osterman didn't become the otherworldly Dr. Manhattan overnight. For a while after he was atomically obliterated in the intristic field generator at the Gila Flats base, parts of his anatomy would reform at different points on the base scaring bystanders & launching tales of ghost hauntings. This is Osterman's muscular system winking in & out of existance, soon he will learn to reform his body whole, telekineti

4. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    Have you guys heard about this yet:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/19/business/media/19movie.html?em

5. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    [image=http://img508.imageshack.us/img508/318/niteowlnopw9.jpg]
    [image=http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/3108/watchmenfrowniexd3.jpg]
    [image=http://img223.imageshack.us/img223/1691/watchmenfrownie2rj7.jpg]

6. Zebra3

Zebra3 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 28, 2004
    My thoughts exactly :(

7. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Just read the interview with the director (forget his name) in the Wizard Magazine issue with Hugh Jackman on the cover.

What a douche !!

8. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    This legal hassle is just that -- a legal hassle. Fox will settle out of court in exchange for points and scads of cash, assuming their claim can be substantiated. Given the amount of money at stake here, I doubt that Warners -- currently super-rich and super-powerful -- will allow this snafu to delay the release of the movie, which is shaping up to be 2009's most anticipated event film. If Fox has any leg to stand on, Warners will make them an offer to settle, and that will be that.

Probably.

9. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    They'll work out something, regarding the legal rights issue. Warner's owns DC, so it should go to Warners. But FOX will get some kind of settlement for sure. Nobody is going to stop the release of a multi-million dollar movie, sheeeshhhh.

10. Spiderfan

Spiderfan Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 9, 2004

11. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
  12. Gobi-1

Dec 22, 2002
    January 6th is cutting it very close when the film premieres exactly two months later on March 6th. I hope for a speedy trail.

13. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Once again, FOX messing with the geeks.

When will they learn?

14. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    It's better than June, which is what Fox wanted. Even WB was only asking for an April trial. Looks like they've drawn a no-nonsense judge, which will hopefully work in WB's favor.

15. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Sith_Lord_Linkoping Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 19, 2001
    New Poster

[image=http://img355.imageshack.us/img355/1522/watchmenver8in5.jpg]

New footage shown at Spike Scream Awards 2008 can be seen in HD at the official blog for the film.

16. Count_Doodie

Count_Doodie Jedi Youngling star 2

May 25, 2006
    it's all looking so good! i'm not sure i like what i hear about them changing the ending tho... [face_worried]
    -doodie

17. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    Too bad this lawsuit didn't get dismissed early on. Fox can delay during discovery, and delay even more. Business is business.

18. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    From what I have read:

The ending was changed for the screening a few weeks ago, although whether this is the theatrical ending is yet to be seen.

Basically the changes were that instead of the giant creature that Veidt creates, it is neuclear weapons dropped on several citys across the world and blamed on Dr Manhatten. Also, soem of the last bits of the comic are missing, including the newspaper getting the diary.

Spoilers are all conjecture, films are known to change due to test screenings and such.

19. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
    New Posters.

First Showing - Yet Another Awesome Watchmen Teaser Poster!

[image=http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/watchmen-yahoo-teaser-full.jpg]

First Showing - It Never Stops - Six More Beautiful Watchmen Posters!

[image=http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/watchmen-comedian-med-sized.jpg] [image=http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/watchmen-rorschach-med-sized.jpg] [image=http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/watchmen-niteowl-med-sized.jpg]

[image=http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/watchmen-manhattan-med-BAD.jpg] [image=http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/watchmen-silkspectre-med-sized.jpg] [image=http://www.firstshowing.net/img2/watchmen-Ozymandias-med-sized.jpg]

Regarding the ending Snyder made this comment.

20. Sith_Lord_Linkoping

Jan 19, 2001
  21. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    Awesome trailer! I love all the little background details from the graphic novel, like the off-center Nagel painting in the Comedian's apartment. I highly approve of Nite Owl's re-design -- that sheet behind his head in the comic would not have translated well to film. I'm not quite as happy with Silk Spectre/Laura; she looks good, but the actress seems a little out of it and unconvincing. Everything else looks spot-on, though, and I cannot wait for 3/6/9 to roll around!

22. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Good trailer, but not as startling engaging as the first. The plot is difficult to convey ina short trailer so it comes across a bit more mundane here.

23. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    So who's the guy that sounds like Bale's Batman? :p

24. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    That'd be Rorschach

25. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    EDKRIEG: It may have been a while since the last time you've read the comic, but in your trailer analysis you've attributed a great deal of Ozymandias' actions to Nite-Owl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.