main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate "We Don't Want Your Kind as Fans" - Sad Puppies, Gamergate and SciFi

Discussion in 'Community' started by JediSmuggler, Apr 9, 2015.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Just to comment on the last bit of your thing, since the first part was basically this:

[​IMG]

But people didn't make fun of GWB for his "accent" -- it was because he either made up words ("strategery!" -- which, btw, I use -- so no judgment!) or intentionally mispronounced the word ("nuculer") as a part of a continuing, orchestrated plot to have the majority of Americans not understand nuclear power / hegemony / danger, etc.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    What the christ.

3. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    says the guy who brought it back up

4. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This feels like the part of the alligator version of the Whack-A-Mole game where the gator would go "Now I'm AANNNGGGRRYY." If anyone understands what that analogy is supposed to mean.

And if you don't, then you'll at least approximate how I feel after having read the last 3-5 posts here.

5. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

here's my response

6. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

What?

Stop shouting and talking nonsense, and start again.

7. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    Actually, he makes a really good point. ;)

8. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    how so?

9. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I've noticed most of the sad/mad/not-glaad puppies are ignoring the economic factors regarding novel sales and awards. If you really want to influence something you need to use the only true means of attack: your pocketbook.

Literature is a business. If product A sells then the company will want to release material similar to product A. People have different tastes. Most people read a book or watch a film to unwind. They are not interested in political philosophies or elliptical prose; they want a release. The legacy publishers are ran by huge corporations with streams of employees to pay and profits to make. These publishers, no different than Hollywood, will produce material that sells to the largest general audience. After this there are the small press/independent publishers. More specialized material can be produced because there will be a smaller print run. This runs into the issue of having lesser editors, proofreaders, and such, but that's a digression An example of specialized fields?

[​IMG]

This is the shelf adjacent to where I am typing here at Chez St. Laurent. There are several high literary classics (Ulysses and Elmer Gantry), a bit of low brow schlock (Star Wars), and some religious volumes (a copy of Mormon Doctrine, how topical :p ).Why was Mormon Doctrine released by a smaller publishing house? Because outside of the LDS market most people are not going to care about the intricacies of Mormonism's byzantine structure. Why was Star Wars released by Del Rey? Because the Star Wars brand name will sell ridiculous amounts of product, regardless of the quality. How is this congruent with the sad puppies?

America's cultural zeitgeist shifted. Readers are more interested in novels featuring minority characters or thematic material; therefore, readers are buying said material. If people are not interested in the sad puppy product then they are not buying it. This comes to a fundamental topic- capitalism. If you cannot compete then you cannot succeed. Please do not deify capitalism then grow irritated when someone is buying rainbow cakes instead of your wheat thins. [face_flag]

10. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    He said it quite clearly. You need an interpreter?

11. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Since "good" is subjective and we don't have access to your thoughts, how about you tell us why you think it's a good point?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

I do, yes. This isn't like "excuse me, stewardess -- I speak Jive!" it's asking me to drop 100 IQ points to try and squeeze blood from a stone, in terms of a rational point from what he's trying to say...

13. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm sorry to report that I also need an interpreter.

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

...you didn't understand it either, did you? you just liked that it said something confrontational about "liberals"

15. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Careful Vezner - we all have oversized butterfly catcher nets poised to ensnare all your conservative Freedom! It could be a trap!

16. Vezner

Dec 29, 2001
    We all know the Senate is nothing more than a liberal back slapping session. Why do you think it's so dead these days? It's amazing how quickly the dog piling happens when any opposing opinion is expressed around here. But whatever, it's more fun hanging out with people that always agree with you. Right guys?

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    ...because it was remerged back into the JCC as a JCC tag?

18. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    So you're not going to interpret for us, huh?

19. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hey! We're not slapping each other's backs.

20. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    we're circling each other's jerks!

TrakNar likes this.
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I vote Vezner to eat the cracker...

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001

How about just saying what you want to say? It's cowardly to insinuate and generally troll without actually posting anything that merits a response.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001

Yes, it is a fairly centrist place, what's your point?

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fiscal conservatives post here and make good points. A couple of the anti-gun-control folks have made good arguments and had good discussions as well. The "opposing opinions" that get "dog piled" on are "opinions" that are bigoted towards women, people of color, and homosexuals--and the "dog piling" happens with good reason. It's 2015 and that **** is not tolerated in decent society anymore. And that is a very good thing.

If being intolerant of bigotry makes me intolerant, I'll wear that label with pride.

Drac39, CT-867-5309 and Jabbadabbado like this.