main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends We Make Our Own Luck (Tahiri/OC, AU, vignette, OTP Challenge #25)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ViariSkywalker, Jun 14, 2022.

1. ViariSkywalker

ViariSkywalker Chosen One star 4

Aug 9, 2002
    Title: We Make Our Own Luck
    Author: ViariSkywalker
    Timeframe: 44 ABY, in my Enter!verse
    Characters: Tahiri Veila, OC
    Genre: AU, humor, general

Summary: Tahiri is asked to break a stranger out of prison.

Notes: Written for OTP Challenge #25: Challenge of Challenges. My random selection gave me #15: “Things You Said” All-Dialogue Minifics (no more than 500 words), and I chose prompt #23: things you said [make your own]. So here’s my response, featuring things you said when I busted you out of jail. [face_mischief]

This ficlet is part of my Enter!verse, and the OC is a character who has thus far only appeared in Enter the Foreign. I honestly never expected to pair him up with Tahiri, but life (and fanfic) is full of surprises…

Disclaimer: I don’t own Star Wars, and no profit is being made!

~~

We Make Our Own Luck

“Demetrius Ulin?”

“…Yeah?”

“My name is Tahiri Veila, and I need you to come with me.”

“You’re here to bail me out?”

“No, not exactly. Come on, we only have a few minutes before they notice you’re gone.”

“Wait, so this is a jail break? I knew you were too beautiful to be one of the guards.”

“…Let’s hold off on the flattery, Master Slicer, we still have a dozen guards to get past.”

“Master Slicer? That has a nice ring to it. Hey, is that why you’re busting me out? Because I really didn’t mean to break into the capital’s mainframe, it just sort of happened—”

“I’m busting you out because I owe a friend a favor.”

“Ah, got it… Wait, which friend?”

“Can we talk about this after we escape?”

“Oh yeah, sure.”

“…”

“Was it Cyril? I haven’t talked to him in forever, but—”

“Look… Demetrius?”

“It’s Ulin. No one calls me Demetrius.”

“Fine, Ulin. This really isn’t the best place for a conversation, not unless you want to wind up right back in your prison cell.”

“You’re right, I’m sorry. I’ve never broken out of prison before. Or been in prison before. I let my pilot’s license expire once, but they just gave me a stern warning and a hefty fine for that—”

“Do you always talk this much?”

“Only when I’m being rescued by a beautiful woman.”

“…”

“That didn’t come out right, sorry, I tend to babble when I don’t know what I’m doing. Let me make it up to you. I could buy you a drink—”

“A drink?”

“—or dinner, whichever works better for you.”

“Neither of those things works better for me.”

“You’re right, not the time— hey, watch out!”

“…”

“That was amazing, where did you learn to do that?”

“I fought in the war.”

“Which war? The civil war?”

“…”

“The Vong War? How old are you? Wait… you’re not a Jedi, are you?”

“I might be.”

“This is incredible, I’ve never met a Jedi before.”

“Don’t get too excited. We’re not out of here yet.”

“You have to let me buy you a drink now; you just saved my life!”

“You do realize you’re going to be a wanted man after this?”

“…Yeah, I guess I didn’t think of it like that. But even a wanted man needs a drink every now and then.”

Especially a wanted man.”

“…Was that a joke, Master Jedi?”

“Just close your mouth and stay behind me.”

“Beautiful, formidable, and funny. This is my lucky day.”

“I’m not sure ‘lucky’ is the word I’d choose for it, but then I don’t believe in luck.”

“You don’t believe in luck?”

“No.”

“Well, that’s only because you aren’t being rescued by a Jedi after getting arrested for felony slicing. This might actually be the luckiest day of my life.”

“I hope you remember that when the guards start shooting at us…”

~~

Last edited: Jun 14, 2022
  2. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Miiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiine

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    I like Demetrius, the banter and his name, sounds Greek-ish. [face_mischief] Tahiri is all those things: beautiful, formidable, and funny. [face_tee_hee]

Kahara and ViariSkywalker like this.
  4. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    I WILL GO DOWN WITH THIS SHIP

I'm not even kidding, or being a supportive friend, or whatever. I mean, I could go into a whole essay about why I can take or leave A/T and why I think Tahiri/Ulin is both more realistic and better, but you've heard all that [face_batting] This is my Tahiri OTP, forever and always. She 100% winds up with the dorky non-Force-sensitive slicer dude with cheesy pickup lines, and they live happily ever after

I can't get over the fact that you found his perfect first name so quickly :cool:

"I'm Luke Skywalker, I'm here to rescue you" [face_batting]

It was meant to be [face_love] :p

Can you even imagine Tahiri's face when he said that? *insert blinking-guy-gif here*

Well, now I need a Ulin-centric vig involving Cyril :p Mark that down for the next OC challenge or something, Vi [face_batting]

I mean, fair

brb, laughing forever

Tahiri's all, "Myri's going to owe me more than she ever imagined for this one"

LOLOLOL, yes, she was stupid young to fight in the Vong war, but yikes, Ulin :p

Tahiri: [face_whistling]

"Decorative and competent both, my favorite combination" :p

You know what, he's totally right :p

I am here for every dang Tahiri/Ulin story you want to write [face_love] Look at you, getting me to ship both Allana/Dorian and Tahiri/Ulin :*

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    I like all that dialog. Banter, fun and of course Tahiri and the legends

6. Kahara

Kahara Chosen One star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    Okay, now I have got to start catching up on ETF sometime so that I can see more of Tahiri and Ulin -- they're very cute here and I like the sense of a chemistry between personalities that adds to their banter even on a first meeting! :D

7. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Love dialogue stories and even though I'm reading character blind, the banter was excellent and the sense of who each person is came through really clearly. Great stuff.

ViariSkywalker and Kahara like this.
  8. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    @Gabri_Jade
    Highly appropriate A+ gif usage, babe ;) :p

:D [face_dancing] (Not that I would argue if you did want to go into a whole essay on Tahiri/Ulin… but I guess that means I’ll just have to write more stories about them to warrant such an essay. [face_batting]) I really am thrilled that these two have resonated with you so much. [face_love]

Right? [face_love]

Parallels! [face_dancing]

He’s such a dork, I love him. :p

[​IMG]

*makes note* I’m going to have to make a separate file folder just for all the stories you want me to write. [face_laugh]

Lol, I mean, I love the name, but I can understand why Ulin might prefer to use his last name. :p

This was one of the first things I wrote for this, it cracks me up. Ulin is (mostly) like us, you know? Just a simple nerd trying to make his way in the universe… [face_whistling]

Boy, is she ever. o_O [face_mischief]

His filter is sorta gone at this point, Gabri, he can’t help it. :p

Ulin: :D [face_love]

That is an excellent combination [face_mischief]

He is! How impressive must Tahiri seem to someone who’s never witnessed a Jedi in action before? And most people don’t get busted out of jail, period, so yeah, I can see why he’d think that’s pretty lucky. :p

Awww, that means the world to me, dearest. [face_love] [:D] I’ll do my best to give you more Tahiri/Ulin content soon! :*

@WarmNyota_SweetAyesha
    I really do love the name, and you’re right, it is Greek. ;) Tahiri is the best, it’s little wonder Ulin likes her. Thanks for reading!

@earlybird-obi-wan
    Thank you! Dialogue-only is always a trick, so I’m glad you enjoyed it! :)

@Kahara
    I’m so glad you liked this, and I am always happy to have a potential new EtF reader. ;) [face_batting] I never expected to pair Tahiri with Ulin, but as I reached the midpoint of the story, it just sort of happened, and I decided to run with it. I may end up posting more ficlets and vignettes in this thread to expand on their relationship before and after EtF, so stay tuned for that! And thanks again for reading! :D

@Kit'
    Thank you! I'm glad you enjoyed the dialogue; it was something of a trick to convey the characters and the movement of the scene with less than 500 words and nothing but dialogue, so I'm happy it turned out okay! :p

9. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    I know I’ve seen Mr. D. Ulin’s name crop up here and there in your oeuvre, but think this is my first time actually reading about him. He’s really got that awkward-but-lovable dork thing down! And yet, at the same time, it definitely takes a very specific kind of poise and confidence to do that much flirting during a jailbreak of all things—I have to say I’m impressed, even if Tahiri isn’t completely. (Or at least not yet, if I’m correctly understanding some of your other comments. ;) ) Ulin and Tahiri are wonderful foils in this, and that’s really brought out by the dialogue-only format. I’m curious to see more of these two together, now! :D

Kahara and ViariSkywalker like this.
  10. ViariSkywalker

Aug 9, 2002
    I really didn't mean to take so long to reply to this! But I loved hearing that you enjoyed this little fic, short though it was. Ulin is a character who has really grown on me over the years, especially as I've started to catch up to him in age a bit. :p He's such a dork, and I just loved the idea of him meeting Tahiri in this way. Can you imagine her face when he starts flirting with her? [face_laugh] If you're looking for more of these two together, I've written about them in this year's KR and Olympics threads, and of course, he shows up in EtF. [face_batting] Thank you so much for your review! :D

11. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    VIIIIIII, I HAVE ABSOLUTELY FAILED AS YOUR FRIEND BY NEVER LEAVING FEEDBACK ON THIS MOST DELIGHTFUL STORY - LET ME FIX THAT IMMEDIATELY!

You have had many perfect throwbacks throughout this 'verse, but believe me when I say that this one was most perfect. [face_love]

Hee, Master Slicer. :p

And then: oh, but Ulin and the untimely chit chat! [face_laugh] In the middle of an escape attempt, no less! [face_rofl] He (and Tahiri) really was the perfect choice for a dialogue only fic from this consideration alone. [face_tee_hee]

I second Gabri: we need this story too. [face_mischief]

My gosh, Vi, but how is he just so dang adorable? [face_love]

I could see the moment where he registered and regretted those words as soon as they spilled out of his mouth. [face_tee_hee]

Or maybe not not so much. [face_batting] [face_whistling]

thankfully Tahiri thinks he's adorable too

ULIN! [face_laugh] :oops:

. . . but also, that she couldn't immediately answer speaks volumes all its own. Tahiri was far too young to have fought in the Vong War. =((

This is completely reasonable logic. [face_batting]

Why, it iiiiiiiiis.

Which means:

[​IMG]

It just may be. [face_love]

Soooooo, I noticed in your Enter!verse reader's guide that this is going to be - or has the potential to be - a ficlet collection? [face_batting] Sign me right up. I am completely here for anything and everything you may be inspired to write about this surprisingly perfect OTP, yes indeed I am. [face_love]

=D= [:D]

Gabri_Jade, Kahara and ViariSkywalker like this.