main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's the thing for me, I guess, that the specific phrasing on what's being reprised was Batman and then the outlets all jumped to "Ah yes, Bruce Wayne" - except this is exactly the one major event story where that wouldn't follow. Flashpoint wasn't so much about "multiverses" as alternate timelines for Earth-1, which seems to be a detail the reporting outlets were... I dunno, just completely unfamiliar with or neglected to mention? It's not like that's a spoiler, it's the entire premise of the comic.

Not saying it's a sure thing, but it's my theory and I'm sticking to it until some trailer is like "Old-ass playboy Bruce Wayne? Why are you dressed like Batman?" :p

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
    BigAl6ft6 and dp4m like this.
  2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Haven't they already confirmed that they are explicitly recruiting for a Flashpoint Thomas Wayne?

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    i think they're carrying over jeffrey dean morgan from bvs to flashpoint. not sure.

4. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I saw that as a rumor but I don't like it as much as this elaborate Pepe Silvia-esque deception theory I've cooked up. :p

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Here's another rumor for the mill...

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Please no. While the entire character arc revolves around Hell and depression, the audience deserves better than to experience both on a literal level.

Ramza likes this.
  7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    @dp4m - you're a legal eagle. re: whedon - ray fisher has indicated that he's under an NDA, and i imagine the other leads are too, thus the lack of specifics on the abusive behavior. do you think the staffers/camerapeople/etc. would be similarly bound? it is odd that nothing else has come to light in nearly a week, and it's essentially been the snyder cut "people" keeping the story afloat on twitter - generally when a match has been struck alleging improper behavior against a public figure, these things pick up a lot of steam, massive amounts of it, very quickly.

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    NDAs don't cover illegal behavior. And if there was abuse (especially if there was a therapist note backing it up), it would be null I believe.

OTOH, there's Kevin Smith chiming in -- which basically makes it sounds like Joss Whedon was asked to come in as a personal favor (likely because his Batgirl was still gonna happen at that point), and WB wanted him to make Justice League into the biggest thing ever, while simultaneously changing the tone of the film (already like, what, 70-80% in the can), and Whedon thought what Snyder did was absolute ****. And had no problems saying so on set. And recut most everything.

Which... makes sense? And is not at all abusive, or really gross per se, but understandable and probably pretty unprofessional especially for a cast and crew who worked with Snyder a lot.

9. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    it's pretty gross, especially if the criticism was personal in nature, given the dire circumstances mr. and mrs. snyder were in. it's also not surprising, and probably not outside of the norm for some of the more egotistical personalities in hollywood - especially one who had just made two avengers movies, and could do no wrong.

ray cited his NDA, so my hope is that he feels comfortable to speak one day, to shed some light on this.

Master_Lok likes this.
  10. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Maybe the behaviour wasn't illegal per se, but rather unethical, unprofessional and/or unsavoury. Regretfully, there are a lot of things you can get away with that aren't criminally liable, but might be resolved in a civil suit or in professional arbitration (in an union setting, for example).

In fact, I do wonder if Ray's comments re: a NDA could not mean that such a suit was already brought, yet settled out of court, beyond the usual contractual stuff.

Any idea if that would be possible?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, but... Fisher knew exactly what he was doing saying the word "abusive" in regards to Whedon, and then providing exactly zero backup. This is clearly unprofessional behavior by Whedon (if true, but I take Smith and his sources at their words), but... it's not abusive at all.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    so i don't disagree with this either. by most accounts, ray's character lost the most in these rewrites - followed by zero career bounce in momentum coming off of the film, and his solo film essentially being tabled. imagine there's a heavy dose of personal animosity towards whedon.

dp4m likes this.
  13. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    From what I've seen, the first drafts had JDM as Thomas Wayne/Flashpoint Batman, but he's been written out of the script entirely and replaced with MK, whose Batman will be the same one as B89/BR, with the same history and everything.

heels1785 likes this.
  14. Adam of Nuchtern

Adam of Nuchtern Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
  15. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    terence winter writing for DC. not bad.

16. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    Haven't we just had 4 years of a series about the GCPD?

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As it happens, I’m binging Boardwalk at the moment, halfway through the fourth and final season. Between seasons 3 and 4 there is a huge time jump, a load of interesting events skipped over because of this, and this last season seems rushed and not up to previous standards.

I thought maybe the show was cancelled which caused this. But no, it seems Winter got bored and wanted to move on. Rather than hand the reins over, he decided to go the route he did.

that's my only concern about this, otherwise I am fully on board.

heels1785 likes this.
  18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yeah, it's hardly a reasonable complaint to say that a series focusing on the GCPD (a la Gotham) is going to have the same real-world issues that, say, Brooklyn Nine-Nine is struggling with.

Unless we're going to say that Commissioner Gordon -- one of the most level-headed, generally noble, principled non-superheroes in print comics is somehow going to become Postmaster General Gordon and still work with Batman and all of the ridiculously over-the-top villainy of Gotham rogues, of course...

BigAl6ft6 and heels1785 like this.
  19. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    And setting it in the world of the new movie, and also firmly divorcing this movie from the DCEU? Yeah, I'm on board.

heels1785 likes this.
  20. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I read elsewhere this will be based on the Gotham Central comic books. So that may give us an insight into this.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Another GCPD show after Gotham definitely seems odd (and also, y'know, police) but frankly Gotham stopped be centrally focused on the CGPD after, like, episode 5 and basically became a sprawling Gotham city centric epic that dropped in on the GCPD once in awhile cuz they build the sets.

Also, hey, more Jeffery Wright is never a bad thing, and considering he seems to be only in half of any given Westworld episodes they could probably get a full season out of him.

Gotham cops, Gordon aside, are a hugely corrupt and incompetent lot (even with Gordon is Commissioner) so they could do it without it being "copaganda".

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    the weirdos are at it again

[​IMG]

i can't post a video now - but i promise you internet, the one two minute scene over three movies in which he wasn't making a mockery of the character meant the world to me. #literaljarofpiss

23. FromDromundKaasWithLove

FromDromundKaasWithLove Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2020
    Oh god, I would love a faithful adaption of Gotham Central so much.

24. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    His reasoning is a little..weak.