main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    As long as it’s not Obi-Wan.

Ender Sai likes this.
  2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    This. Forever this.

Diggy likes this.
  3. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    [​IMG]

In pop culture, but the Joker was long considered one of Batman's top enemies as he was used consistently since 1941, whereas Penguin and Riddler had long gaps in between appearances during the 50's. They didn't gain momentum again until around 1965, just as the television series began it's original run. The 90's film series and the DCAU helped cement many characters in the minds of readers and non readers. Mr. Freeze himself benefited from B:TAS.

Yep. He was the one

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
  5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

dear lord yes please

throw the facebook boy away forever

6. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

"I'm back! I don't care if it's a DC movie! I love cameos!"
    "Not now, Stan Lee!!"

7. AutumnLight91

AutumnLight91 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 17, 2018

Sith_Sensei__Prime likes this.
  8. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    Speaking of Batman: The Animated Series, Fantham Events is re-releasing Batman: Mask of the Phantasm in theaters for it 25th Anniversary.

[​IMG]

I'm going to say some very unpopular, but I did not like Batman: Mask of the Phantasm because it's more of a Bruce Wayne film that a Batman movie, as Bruce Wayne, much like The Dark Knight Rises, is looking for a different life away from being the Caped Crusader.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    PCCViking and heels1785 like this.
  9. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    MOTP is awesome, I wish there was a place nearby showing it I'd go. I haven't seen TDKR but a lot of people complain about that film for many reasons. One being that Bruce never became Batman really, he was just trying to inspire people to rise up. But MOTP shows that conundrum for him: once he does it there is no turning back. And that's the unfortunate part of him that he thinks he can't. He wants to but his identity is Batman, Bruce is the mask. Something I've seen complaints about in the Nolan trilogy.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's still a Batman movie just because it focuses on Bruce's life before the suit. It all comes down to what was said in MOTP, in "Batman Forever", "The Dark Knight Rises" and currently in the comics; Bruce is only Batman because he lets the emotional pain of his parents death and his own feelings of guilt, drive him into this lifestyle. He doesn't need to be Batman, but he should choose to be. If he should find happiness, he should take it and embrace it as hard as he can for as long as he can. Choosing a life of misery just to be Batman does nothing but make him miserable. His Pre-Crisis counterpart came to understand that and made peace with his parents deaths and continued on as Batman because it was right, not because he was angry and feeling guilty.

appleseed likes this.
  11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    To be fair, he was in his mid-50s and it ends showing he did inspire people:

[​IMG]

12. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    No I meant the Nolan film TDKR, and the trilogy in general. I remember watching that scene on YouTube, but he was still involved not just leaving it behind.

13. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    every time, ender..

as a refresh
    jcc rule #10058, "tdkr" = frank miller's "the dark knight returns"
    jcc rule #10059, the dark knight rises was a masterpiece and should be universally celebrated

14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Dark Knight Rises = terrible in every way.

15. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Watching that clip you posted above from Batman: Mask the Phantasm, it's quite clear Batman is not the mask and Bruce Wayne is the actual identity; especially when Bruce is at his parents grave begging them to give him a sign that it's okay to be happy and break his promise to them.

It's been awhile since I've seen the film, but IIRC, Bruce and his love interest agree to leave Gotham to start a new life, but she doesn't show up.

So, a good portion of the film is about Bruce Wayne before he became Batman; before Batman became the identity and Bruce Wayne the mask. To me, it's a kind of a retcon to the Batman mythos. Unlike the Nolan trilogy, where in Batman Begins, Rachel has to tell Bruce that Batman is his true identity.

[​IMG]

In Nolan's Dark Knight Trilogy, Batman is the true identity of Bruce Wayne as well as the symbol of hope for Gotham.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And once Gotham didn't need Batman anymore (as noted in the picture above with Bruce and Rachel), it allowed Bruce Wayne to return.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    The Birds of Prey cast is rounding out nicely.

BIRDS OF PREY: Newcomer Ella Jay Basco Is In Negotiations For The Role Of Cassandra Cain

[​IMG]

17. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    And the full title of the Birds of Prey movie is...

Looked like Deadpool got to that script. :p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  18. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
  19. Sith_Sensei__Prime

May 22, 2000
    Better than Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.

To me, it's like To Wong Foo, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar.

20. Bilbo Fett

Bilbo Fett Force Ghost star 5

Apr 19, 2017
  21. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  22. AutumnLight91

Jun 17, 2018
    Good to hear. I read all the tweets on that page. Looking good

23. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    dp you and I know the value of those early screening hot takes. zero. but I guess they’re better than venom’s?

also, io9 is filled with ****s (pick one), as shown by yet another comment section. the writing is often juvenile, but it’s the children who post there who provide the toxicity.

Diggy likes this.
  24. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think the trailers have been too good for the movie to in any way straight up stink. It looks bit too damn fun for that. Y'know, fun is the thing that has been forcibly injected into the DCEU after BvS but it seems like it took well here.

The best thing is the classic gold and green costume looks absolutely aces. Make a nice transformation from Aquaman's Synder-sourced BvS look. Probably all CGI like the Black Panther costume I'm guessing to get the scales look alive.

Now someone just retcon why Aquaman and Mera had the underwater talk bubble in Justice League and why they're talking underwater here and we can hear them nice and good. Was that for secrecy in JI?

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  25. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    While I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you, I do like Germain Lussier a lot. He has a genuine enthusiasm for the stuff he covers (especially Star Wars, so, brownie points) and while it can sometimes color his take a bit too much, he's otherwise pretty even-keeled.

Anyway, I'd put more stock in these than the early reactions from a fan screening; at least these all appear to be published critics whose reviews will contribute to the RT score.

heels1785 likes this.