main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

We need a strong anti-AotC bashing policy NOW.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth_Xio_Jade, May 19, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Destructo

Darth_Destructo Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 2, 2001
    The problem is trolls, not the fact that people post that they don't like AotC on a Star Wars website's discussion forums.
    I just so happen to like having the two sides views to read and to reflect upon.

Just inform the nearest admin or mod about the troll or flamer.
    That's all.

The forums are really fine and they are still a good place to post.
    It's just that the repeat threads spoil my reading pleasure, by breaking up all the points in different directions, but besides that, it's just another day at the forums.

2. hawk

hawk Jedi Knight star 5

May 3, 2000
    I loved AOTC and would hate it if you banned certain views. What would I do if I liked most of it but hated one particular part? Post everything positive and just shut up about the negatives? Stupid.

3. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I love Star Wars. I didn't love Attack of the Clones. Being a Star Wars fan doesn't necessitate gushing over a movie if you think it stinks. This is a Star Wars community, not a Star Wars gushers' society. Saying that you didn't like it and why is perfectly acceptable. Trolling and flaming, from either side, is not.

4. son_of_the_tear

son_of_the_tear Jedi Master star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    Yeah, but there are certain people, like daveed(something something) who go into threads to just bash.

The thread could ask what your favorite part of the arena battle, and he comes in and bashes.

A thread will talk about how AOTC is doing at the B.O., and he'll come in and not only post his comment, but also bash at the same time.

Or my thread on the uncalled "racism" attacks. He comes in and makes a comment, while making a bash at the same time!

And he's not the only one. Abcrrry, whatever his name is, does the same thing too.

5. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Case in point:

Daveed strikes again.

http://boards.theforce.net/post.asp?brd=10007&topic=6946265

He hates TPM and AOTC. We know that. He mentiones it in all of his posts. He enters the TPM forum. Not because he is an angry fan about what some critic made. Just to get a reaction from people because he dislikes the movies.

And he might say that is not his inention. But look at his post history.

6. DarthSpade

DarthSpade Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    If someone does not like the movie, then by all means, they should have the right to state this. Anything else smacks of censorship, and we are all aware that differences of opinions are respected here.

7. Cigam Retah

Cigam Retah Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 1999
    and we are all aware that differences of opinions are respected here.

That's a joke, right? I've been censored for not liking the Beatles.

8. DarthSpade

DarthSpade Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 3, 2001
    well, if you are saying things that the rest of the JC doesn't want to hear, then you should be edited and/or deleted.

9. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    and we are all aware that differences of opinions are respected here.

[face_laugh]

?[face_plain]

Oh... you were serious?

JMA

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    son_of_the_tear...
    "Case in point:
    Daveed strikes again.
    "

So, someone makes a post about a new NY Times article and you end up trolling him. [face_plain]

Missninfan locked the topic not due to Daveed's trolling, but because his entire thread was just a simple regurgitation of a newspaper article and therefore belonged in another forum. Minor note, such regurgitation has been allowed in several instances where that thread was posted, so that was hardly some major problem.

No offense, but I don't see anything wrong with that thread outside of your off-topic spam comment:
      "And this is important, how?
      Man, go away.
    Gee, pretty positive there. [face_plain]

11. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    You do realize that if you didn't like AOTC and want to express that, your thread will not be locked. It will be locked, however, if it is scathing, flaming, spammish, or trolling. The same applies for the reciprocal viewpoint of loving it and criticizing those who find fault with the film.

12. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Here is a recent example of an article-regurgitated thread.

Should it be locked like Daveed's negative article was and the author advised to repost in JCC?

13. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    I saw that thread. It seemed as if it was discussing how the good guys right now are the eventual bad guys, etc... It didn't seem like bashing or gushing and therefore I decided to let it go. But I try to watch over it, though. Am I missing something in regards to that thread?

14. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    "It will be locked, however, if it is scathing, flaming, spammish, or trolling."

Just for clarification, why would it be locked if it's scathing? Flaming, spammish, and trolling seems pretty obvious, but if someone were to write a scathing review of it, without flaming, trolling, or spamming, why should it be locked?

Amazing.

15. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Sapient...
    "Am I missing something in regards to that thread?"

No, I actually think it's fine.

My point, however, was that fundamentally, this thread is no different from Daveed's - one which was locked by a mod and labelled as trolling by another forum member. It was relevent to Star Wars, it was relevent to Star Wars movies, and it was relevent to AotC - it was a new New York Times article about the declining quality of movies and discussed the latest Star Wars movies specifically.

Am I incorrect in thinking that this thread was locked because it offered nothing new save a regurgitation of a newspaper article, the exact same thing the thread I linked to was doing. That's what Missninfan's comment seemed to point to.

I actually had no problem with either thread, save that one was locked and called trolling by users whereas one doing exactly the same thing was acceptable. ?[face_plain]

The main difference in content was that the one which was locked was an article which had negative comments about the latest Star Wars movies. [face_plain]

16. DarthSapient

Jun 26, 2001
    Genghis12, I guess it's hard for me to explain why a thread was locked yet another wasn't if I was not the person who had responded to both. Therefore, it's like comparing apples to oranges. We try to be consistent, but there will always be discrepencies.

AmazingB, you are correct in how you interpreted that. I didn't mean it that way, however. I meant that if a forum member is defensive in his or her stance on something to the point of being scathing in their replies, then that will be dealt with. A scathing article written in a professional manner is no different than a review that lavishes praise.

17. Genghis12

Nov 18, 1999
    Fair enough. :)

18. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    Ah, indeed. :)

Amazing.

19. son_of_the_tear

Jun 23, 1999
    Genghis, looks at almost all fo daveed's posts. He is going from thread to thread just to provoke.

He does not like either films, so he trolls.

I told him to go away because that is ALL he does.

He will enter a thread that has nothing to do whether one liked AOTC or TPM, and he will post his comment and find a way to add a bash into it.

He was doing it to provoke. If you don't think so, then you don't know people very well.

What the hell did my thread on the idiotic panel claiming Jango and the clones were racist with how much he disliked AOTC?

Or someone's thread asking for FAVORIE scene, only for him to come and bash. It wasnt asking anyone what they thought of the film, but to pick their favorite scene. He didn't provide that. He bashed.

20. Duckman

Duckman Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2000
    Why don't we have a rule where every post must say something nice, and something negative about AOTC? That way everything's fair.

Example:
    "Padme was a hottie. I'd really like to Naboo her, if you know what I mean."

"Jocasta Nu was an old hag! Why does Lucas cast ugly people in his otherwise sexy films?"

See, everyone's happy then :)

21. AlienAcidMKII

AlienAcidMKII Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 28, 2001
    "Padme was a hottie. I'd really like to Naboo her, if you know what I mean."

:lol

22. Lurking_Around

Lurking_Around Jedi Knight star 6

May 26, 2002
    A STRONG anti AOTC bashing policy???

And what the heck do we have now??? Not to name names, but some people who demand bashers post evidence and statistics to back their opinion at the same time stated that they should be allowed to like AOTC without giving their reasons. Wow!!!

Sigh....this frustrated post was brought to you by an AOTC gusher who nevertheless is sad to see any AOTC criticism be flamed. And I'm so fed up with "AOTC is better than *insert some other non SW movie*" threads.

STRONG POLICY??? Heh.

23. bodisatva

bodisatva Jedi Youngling

Jun 16, 2002
    Where's Internet_Drama when you need him?

24. JediMasterAlpha

JediMasterAlpha Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 7, 1999
    I guess the more things change, the more they stay the same.

25. DarkLord_Tyrannus

DarkLord_Tyrannus Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2002
    Why is bashing the phantom menace so wrong?

The movie was horrible and I am a star wars fan?

I am like obsessed where I breathe the life of Lord Vader. I am just being honest, Phantom Menace was horrible and if I want to say it, why cant I?

Attack of the clones bashing has gotten pretty bad though.

YOU GUYS NEED TO DELETE ALL POSTS made 1 month ago and then Let us start from scratch.

Except the threads that are official and what not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.